New PC after long hiatus from FS

Hi

I’m compiling a list of parts to get a new PC for using primarily with MSFS, DCS and also KSP 2.

I’ve got the below specs which is at the top end of my budget.

Will this system fair well and also will 32GB of RAM be sufficient for playing these sims/games?
Also will I need any extra case fans?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5 g
Motherboard: MSI MAG X670E TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6400 CL32 Memory
Storage: Crucial T500 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: Gigabyte WINDFORCE OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16 GB Video Card
Case: Antec NX360 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair RM850x (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Home OEM - DVD 64-bit
Monitor: MSI G272QPF 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz Monitor

Any help or advice is greatfully appreciated.

1 Like

I like everything about your build.

• You might consider adding another 512GB or 1TB M.2 drive for the OS and other programs. If you’re like me you’ll run out space on the 2TB before you know it. 512GB drives are cheap. 1TB drives still relatively inexpensive. You don’t need the fastest, best (most expensive) drive.

• You’re fine with that monitor - for now. But save your shekels for a 4K DisplayHDR 1000 monitor down the road. You have the GPU to easily run it, and trust me, moving to HDR 1000 is worth it. When you do, you can always use the monitor on your list for a second screen. I did, and am quite happy running both on my 3090 Ti, which is comparable to (though not quite as powerful as) the 4070 Ti Super on your list. Great GPU choice, IMHO.

As for RAM… 32GB is plenty, for now. There are some SU 15 Beta users reporting that their RAM usage has gone way up. But you should be fine. If it were me, I’d probable try to swing for the Corsair 48GB (2x24GB) DDR5-6000/CL30 modules. It’s $65 more, but I think it’s a better ‘future-proof’ choice. 6000 MHz is the ‘sweet spot’ for AMD memory controllers, and the 400 MHz speed you give up would be offset somewhat by the lower CAS latency.

Case cooling is fine.

I realize that everything comes down to budget in the end. My suggestions are not criticisms in any way. I think your list is very good.

3 Likes

Thanks very much for your helpful reply.

1 Like

The only things I would consider on your set up are:

Does the M2 drive have a heat sink and will it fit. Some drives get hot. Depending on the board, there may be issues with fitment due to the way some system cover the M2 drive.

I would seriously consider a 1000w PSU for future proofing. Gold is good, but platinum is better. The rating is indicative of the responsiveness of the PSU. The faster it can alter power the cooler your GPU and CPU will be. Corsair is a reputable make imho. I have had zero issues with my 1600w titanium. I did bin an 850w Asus platinum last year. It couldn’t handle a 3090, which seems rediculous.

Windows 11 Professional has GPedit, where as home does not. This makes it much easier to get rid of some of the stuff MS likes to inflict on your system. Copilot etc.

I know people are always stating you should wait because X or Y is due out. But the gains coming in the second half of this year will be quite substantial. We are nearing the end of both AMD and Nvidia generations, which will change over in 6-9 months time. I have been watching to rumour mill for a while now to make sure I buy at the best time on my next upgrade.

AMD RDNA4 is coming in a 2-3 months time. This could be far superior to the 4070 listed or even bring the price of the 4070 down.

Watch some videos from:
MLD
RGT
and
Gamermeld

There are other links in the comments of all their videos that give even more information.

If now is when you want to pull the trigger, I hope you get a great system. I don’t want to put a downer on a new purchase. I just like to see people get the best value for their cash.

Edit: @BegottenPoet228 raised an issue in a PM regarding gold Vs platinum ratings on PSUs and how unreliable it is to use that as a mark of quality. He raises a very valid point and not all suppliers are honest. Especially when it comes to the ratings standard.
As such it would be better to say platinum is better than gold when it comes to Corsair specifically PSU. And that is only my opinion.

1 Like

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I’ll take a look at those links.

Hi.

Well after a long time debating and finally approval from the other half, I’m about to start purchasing the parts for the build, I’d thought about getting a custom pre-built PC but have opted to build it myself as the markup on the build was a lot more than thought.

I’ve assisted my previous two rigs with the help of my brother in law but this one will be doing myself.

I’ve ended up going for an RTX4090 in the end.
I was wondering if someone would be able to help and look through my new parts list and tell me any areas that I can maybe improve or scale back on without compromising performance.

My plan is to get two hard drives, a 1TB one for the OS and other files and then a 2TB one for my games. I’m not sure if this is overkill?

Also any tips or guides for building a PC would be very helpful.
Her is my new parts list below.
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/ffNmsh

Kind regards

Replace the Noctua NH-D15 with a Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE.
Save money.

Replace the 4090 with a 4070 Ti Super or 4080.
Save money.

Replace the 64GB DDR5-6000 RAM with:
Corsair Vengeance RGB 48 GB (2 x 24 GB) DDR5-7200 CL36
It’s on the MOBO QVL.
About the same cost. Much better performance. You don’t need 64GB.

Your monitor is HDR400. I spent more (about twice the cost) to upgrade my HDR400 to an HDR1000 monitor, and I’ll never go back. The one you picked is fine, but once you see the difference, you’ll understand why it’s worth the extra money. Take the money you saved on your GPU and get an HDR1000 monitor. Thank me later.

Everything else is good. Make sure you check the Corsair 4000X dimensions. I found it to be a bit small for my build, and chose a 5000X instead. Both are great cases. You just don’t want to be surprised when your parts don’t fit in the smaller case.

Good idea in my opinion to have a separate ITB SSD for the OS and a few other smallish files. The 2TB for the rest of your software would definitely not be overkill imo. I would ask yourself whether it is enough in fact. Only you really know though :slightly_smiling_face:

Also is your RAM on the qvl list for the motherboard? Might be worth double checking so you can definitely get that 6000 overclock.

I wonder too if you can wait for the 9000x3d CPUs to come out? I’m in a similar boat to you in that regard as I’m upgrading my own PC. If I’m honest though I’m not even sure I can wait myself :rofl:

Edit: Just read the comments above from BegottenPoet. He makes some excellent points here imo.

Many thanks for replying again it’s really helpful to get a perspective from others.
Is the thought with using an RTX4070TI Super or RTX4080 the fact that the performance gain doesn’t warrant the cost?

I’ll take a look also at the cooler and the case. My rig is in the corner of my dining room and space is tight so will have a measure up.

Thanks

Many thanks for your reply.

I wasn’t sure if going this way with the hard drives was correct or whether to just get one bigger one and partition it?

I’ll check the MOBO supported parts list and see about the RAM or might have a look at the RAM suggested in the other reply from BegottenPoet.

Thanks

Exactly right.

Also, I’ve come to understand that the key to good sim performance is having balanced CPU/GPU latency. I think the 7800X3D matches up very nicely with the 4070 Ti Super. The 4080 adds some headroom that might be useful if the new code we’re being promised in FS2024 really does utilize the CPU better. The 4090 is just too expensive, IMHO.

The real fly in the ointment is ray tracing. If I believed that Asobo was going to implement full ray tracing I’d go with the 4080, and even consider the 4090 or one of the next gen cards. But I don’t think they will.

I went with two M.2 drives. But there’s nothing wrong with getting a single big drive and partitioning it.

Take the money you saved on your GPU and get an HDR1000 monitor

Hi BegottenPoet228

Do you have any suggestions for a 27inch monitor with HDR1000? Seems like bit of a minefield the PC monitor market.

Also with the GPU, is it worth considering the RTX4080 Super over the 4070Ti Super?

Kind regards

@Vibstronium steered me to my monitor. He’s more knowledgable than me about this sort of thing. Maybe he’ll chime in?

This one looks like it ticks all the right boxes. It seems like a good buy at $755 @ Amazon.

Some folks would steer you towards OLED for it’s deeper blacks. But MiniLED IPS with full panel local dimming like this one has is less expensive and should be just fine (and will eliminate any chance of burn in.)

The 4080 Super is $300 more than the 4070 Ti Super. If you can afford it, go for it!
If ray tracing is implemented in FS2024 (even to some extent) I think you wouldn’t regret it.

1 Like

Looks like it hits the right specs – for daytime flying in MSFS I recommend something with DisplayHDR 1000-level capability (which that matches, per the manufacturer specs page yay!)

My LG 32GQ950-B is similarly specced, at a 32" size, and it’s perfect for me for daytime flying in a lit room.

For primarily nighttime flying, especially in a darkened room, I might lean towards OLED for the richer blacks, but the brightness on the LCD/LED-backlight units can’t be beat on the high end, and makes sunlight and reflection highlights really pop. :slight_smile:

1 Like

What are your thoughts on TrueBlack 600?

I see that LG has a 27" DisplayHDR TrueBlack 600 OLED monitor on sale for $599.

Pixel level dimming (vs. zone level of an IPS display) and 100X better black level is pretty enticing for night flying.

Not sure I’d want to give up the brightness relative to HDR 1000 though.

1 Like

I’d be cautiously optimistic about DisplayHDR TrueBlack 600 but I’d love to hear more from folks who have one!

In principle it should be ideal for night flight… how day comes out is the question. :smiley:

1 Like

The recommendations above by @BegottenPoet228 are solid and will get you what you are looking for at a good price point.

The 4090 is overkill so I’d recommend the 4080 which is between the 4070Ti super and 4090. You really can’t go wrong with any one of these 3 gpu’s - it’s just a matter of your budget.

1 Like