New PC build exclusively for FS2020

Hello everybody,

My name is Mark and I live in the Netherlands.
I’m turning 37 the 1st of October and i’m planning to build a new PC just for flying.
Since this will be my first build ever, I hope some of you guys could have a look at my components I’m planning to buy and share your thoughts about it.

This is what I had in mind:

Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic, 3 fans bottom intake, 3 fans side intake, 1 rear fan exhaust, AIO on top with 3 exhaust fans.

i7 10700k
NZXT X73 cooler

Msi MEG Z490 Unify
Msi Geforce RTX 3080 gaming X trio
G.Skill 32GB 3600 CL16 19-19-39, or G.Skill 32GB 3600 CL16 16-16-36. (which one will be the better choice and does it make a lot of a difference?) (motherboard compatible?)

PSU:
Corsair RM1000X 80+ gold

Storage:
Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB NVme M.2 (windows Home)
Samsung 970 EVO plus 1TB NVme M.2 (Flight simulator) (will it be future proof regarding to add ons)
In the future I plan to download PMDG software as well as a few scenery upgrades maybe.

To round things up I am aiming for an ultra wide display.
I hope I can play this sim fluidly on a Samsung 49" 5120*1440p 120hz whatsoever.
Do you think I need a Gsync monitor or will I be fine buying the “cheaper” version?

I’m looking forward to your replies as those can help me very much.

Kind regards,

Mark

go for the i9 10900k if you can afford the relatively small extra. The additional cpu power will really help the sim

2 Likes

Nice specs,I went amd.

You’ll enjoy the 49 inch. Check your options before getting the Samsung, the same panel is in other monitors. I have the Phillips.

Beware there is wide screen stretching and there is no estimate of when that could be fixed.

You should be able to run the sim pretty well on that rig!!!

Enjoy!!!

1 Like

I would recommend g sync monitor. I have this (although not widescreen) and I really like it

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up! I will sure check that out.

Seems a bit overkill. I know 3080s say that you need 750W but you really shouldn’t need more than 850 . If you can save a few bucks going with a lower rating, that would be ideal, there’s really no performance benefit from going with a 1000W PSU.

They’re really good drives but not the best price/performance for what you’re doing. Really if you’re only using the 250 to load windows then you’re overpaying. You can get away with a cheaper NVme for a windows drive and not notice much of a difference. You can also get away with going for a regular consumer 1TB NVme and sink the money into a good CPU like the 10900k without noticing much of a difference.

Two valuable resources for SSD hunting:

I don’t think you’ll notice a significant difference between the two (likely less than 1% difference). Your MOBO supports 3600Mhz anyway. In this case I’d go with the cheaper option.

Hope this helps and happy building!

5 Likes

This probably isn’t the best time to build a new PC, if you can fly already.

New CPUs coming from AMD, new GPUs from Nvidia and AMD, new mobos from everybody, etc. I think it’s better to wait, if you can. :small_airplane: :smiley_cat:

7 Likes

Quite a few of the higher rated PSUs have a zero fan when not pushed, sometimes you can go 200w over needs just for the reduction in fan noise. Extravagant but, it’s done!

2 Likes

I’d recommend going with a motherboard that you can upgrade, there are cards that support both the latest 10k i7’s and newer i9’s. Sooner or later you may need that CPU power.

Get a decent puter now and upgrade later. Don’t fork out €5000 for a box that will be obsolete in 2 years, unless you don’t care about money.

SSDS are nice, but consider an M2 drive. Those things are just insanely fast. I got 4 TB SSD in my games box, but thinking back i should have probably just have bought a large M2 drive instead. Have been looking at Corsair Force, Samsung also boasts some great performance.

Unless you have a HOTAS already, go for something you feel would be ok. The cheaper stuff < €120 is probably ok, but an X52/56/Warthog will probably be a better fit if you’re in it for the long haul.

Personally i use a 45" TV instead of a monitor, good fit with TrackIR, a smaller monitor will have you gleering to the side when turning your head.

As for VR: it isn’t available for 2020 yet, but if you have such plans, consider throwing some extra money on it now - or do what i recommended: get a box that you can upgrade easily.

Thanks for your advice @Ryanosaurs13, much appreciated.
I will look into another psu, but will you think 850W will be sufficient enough if I have plans to OC this beast?

I will dive into the ssd buying guide!! And for the RAM i will take your word for it as well. I’ll go for the less expensive ones.

I’ll keep this topic updated about my findings…

It is really hard for me to wait. I can’t fly at the moment and I’ve been waiting for years for this sim to come out.
So i feel this is the right moment, maybe a bit late as well, but I need to wait anyway cause my RTX 3080 has been sold out already. :sweat_smile:
too bad.

1 Like

Are you saying my setup will not be future proof?
I do hope it is because I’m going for the latest parts. I’m hoping this build will last for at least 5-8 years.
From there I will consider upgrading if needed of course :wink:

VR and TrackIR will not be a thing I will consider buying. Given the fact that I won’t be able to see my buttons and switches once I have such goggles on :sweat_smile:

It should, I don’t see it using 250W extra for a few more MHz. Here’s a good video comparing 450-750W for the 3080 series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bdohv96uGLw&ab_channel=OptimumTech

And tbh I’ll have to agree with @anon67824105, you’re best waiting for what AMD has to offer. The AM4 socket is on their last few chips but there’s a good chance you may be able to upgrade to a 4000-XT series CPU in 1-2 years if you go with an AM4 board. AM5 will preceded AM4 at around 2022. I really can’t comment about Intel and their motherboards but I’ve heard that they lack futureproofing in that their sockets last less than AMD’s. For example, The current B450 boards have been compatible with Ryzen 1000 all the way up to Ryzen 4000 (for most B450 manufacturers).

3 Likes

I would definitely wait for at least a month before ordering anything. AMD will release the specs on both their new graphics cards (Radeon 6000 series) and their new CPUS (Zen 3 architecture Ryzen 4000 series).

You can almost count on Nvidia reacting with either lower prices or more memory on a TI or Super version of their cards.

It’s common knowledge that early adopters often get disappointed.

1 Like

I think the next gen Ryzens are Zen 3?

No, i’m saying make sure you can upgrade your box in the future if you’re going with an i7 10k. Check motherboard CPU socket for compatibility with i9 before you click the buy button.

You can learn to feel your way around the keyboard and bind keys that you remember where they are. I learned to operate the keyboard like a blind person after installing DCS and Elite Dangerous.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply @Ichinin.

I cross checked that. The Z490 boards supports both the i7 and i9, as long as they are from the 10th gen. And I believe the upcoming 11th gen will fit in there just fine as well.
:wink::+1:t3:

1 Like

Good evening from midwest U.S. I’ve had be pleasure and outright fun of building 4 different systems for me and friends/family. None of them have been dream machines though.

A couple of humble suggestions/opinions:

1. I am an Intel processor fan just mainly for overall compatability and other unknown and ‘nonsense’ reasons.
  2. I am not a fan of Intel motherboards though. I have found historically that they are not very expandable or future proof. E.g. limits on SATA devices, card slots, and no idea what etc. would mean exactly but imcluding the etc. anyway.
  3. Since no one official is building your system for you, you will be responsible for support. All your compenents will have warranties, but sometimes it will be non-trivial to narrow any issue down to a specific component. For this reason, I use reviews and self-tests to figure out which manufactures have the best support, especially for major components like your motherboard, SSD’s, video card and maybe even you power supply. Even if this makes a component slightly more expenses that some similar-spec competitors, for me personally it is worth it.
  4. I am assuming that your motherboard will have 4 memory slots but I don’t know. If it does, see if you can do your 32Gb in two sticks so that you can upgrade to 64Gb later if you want without having to sell or throw out your existing memory. Also, it is good to have all your sticks be the same manufacturer and specs, i.e. the same exact model if possible.
  5. I have a suspicion that you are looking for the best of the best components. I think that is absolutely wonderful and you should not have to save pennies to get off-brand components like many on this thread have suggested. The only person I really agree with is for you to please factor in the price of your desired controllers in to the mix, even if they might not be available yet.

Thanks and humbly,
Redeye

4 Likes

Great tips, much appreciated!! thank you. :wink:

Hope this helps: https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

1 Like