New Plane announcement - Junkers Ju 52

Well, the people in this thread have done a great job of educating the uneducated. I certainly learned alot! Thanks to all.

2 Likes

I always wanted to fly with ā€œAuntie Juā€ as sheā€™s called in Germany. Some years ago the Lufthansa one was flying regularly above northern Germany. Always booked out.

And then it was stopped after the crash in Switzerland :-/

Aviation is rich with history. Thatā€™s one of the things that makes it so much fun. (If you like history.) And, it seems to open the way to learn new things about our world, simply because of the fun and joy aviation brings. The JU-52 should be so much fun to learn! :slight_smile:

ALL default planes need community mods to fix all broken and wrong parameters and flight characteristics. This one wonā€™t be any different.

Even if I got it for free, I wouldnā€™t bother with it until thereā€™s an improvement mod for it.

3 Likes

Unfortunately it appears from the teaser video that the engines/propellers rotate counter-clockwise as viewed from the cockpit, contrary to the real aircraft. This changes everything about the physics and subsequent handling, although I understand that the MSFS flight model is still limited with regard to propeller physics anyway.

That said, the 3D modelling is excellent and I imagine it will sound great. It will be a good, basic default flier which I hope will provide a solid base for an improvement mod.

Considering it is a payed update, I would not expect anything soon. DRM will see to that.

Thatā€™s unfortunate, I suspected that might be the case.

Canā€™t wait. I love aviation and I think Tante Ju deserves itā€™s place on aviation history. Itā€™s a great plane. It was used by three different airlines here in Brazil. Good plane for a low & slow Word Tour.

I was looking to a couple of cockpit screenshots and I found 12 levers on the center pedestal That will be fun!

I hope it not only has nice textures but also nice system depth.

1 Like

My gosh people, if the thought of a Ju 52 gracing our virtual skies keeps you up at night, perhaps just donā€™t purchase it? Itā€™s just an airplaneā€¦

On second thought, maybe MS should just cancel the entire DACH World Update. Actually, why stop there? Letā€™s get rid of all POIs in the region and place a blank texture over all of Central Europe.

On a serious note, we can all appreciate something as a machine. Itā€™s no secret that the Germans have always manufactured amazing machines. That has always been the case, it is now, and yes, it was still the case in WWII and the preceding years. Iā€™m wearing my Luftwaffe issued WWII LACO aviatorā€™s watch right now actually, and admiring the beauty & craftsmanship of it. It can be done!!

3 Likes

And Iā€™m thoroughly enjoying this piece of history that I own - a section of fuselage skin from a JU52 (4V+ BP, W. Nr 7279, 6.TG 3) which crashed in Luxemburg in January of 1945ā€¦

3 Likes

My grandfather flew the Ju52 and Super Connie in the 50s and 60s as a young pilot in and around Germany. There were occasions before the Cold War when they even flew to the USSR and ČSSR and whereever they came with the Ju pilots surrounded them and admired the airplane. Even then, when it was actually an ā€žordinaryā€œ airplane. He always told it was a pleasure to fly, beautiful on the yoke but a beast if treated badly. Speeds and correct power settings (as with every radial) were crucial. Itā€˜a a wonderfully engineered airplane. I have some original documentation from 1936, the pilotā€˜s handbook, technical docs etc that my grandpa kept wisely hidden from his wife, my mum and the allies (in this very order!) thereā€˜s still the swastika on it lol. If thereā€˜s one thing the nazis did really well then it was precise technical documentation and pilot schooling.

Amazing aircraft.

8 Likes

Did your grandfather say something about engine fumes? From what I know many people hated tri-motors because of the noise, oil and fume that would get into the cabin, especially around pilots.

The same was the case with steam engines of the time so it was maybe not a big issue.

In the game it will be extra fun of course but I can imagine it would spoil some people their journey if they arrived half dead and smelling of gasoline. For others it may have also been a hell of a lot of fun to arrive like that from their aircraft adventure, who knows.

Wouldnā€™t the oil, noise and fume problem affect all single engined aircraft as well?

Yes of course. But those were a completely new form of transport and once the novelty waned off people more and more wanted comfort. Around that time planes like the DC-3 were envisioned that would get rid of the front engine.

The Trimotor was nothing new. It first flew in 1926 AFAIK, but single engined passenger aircraft were already flying since at least 1920 and designed in this configuration well into to the 1930s.
(The original Ju-52 was a also a single engine design).

The twin-engine layout for passenger aircraft has also been used at least since 1920.

The Local Legends series is aircraft associated with a region, In this case, the JU-52 is linked to the WU6 release.

Obviously all engine configurations had been around, but two-engine airliners were considered unsafe on long routes over water or vast, dangerous terrain, because they would retain only 50% of their power in case fo failure and that was not enough.

That doesnā€™t preclude that you can safely operate a single engined airplane safely over land in good weather etc, as long as you can make an emergency landing anywhere. The point was only that when the DC-3 was planned airlines had initally required three engines, and they had to be convinced that it would be safe enough with 2.

This was a totally reasonable development related to the state of aircraft engines. The Ju-52 was still built around that older line of thinking that had weaker, less reliably engines in mind. A few years later it could as well have been built with 2 engines and become a lot faster and more convenient.

I am looking forward to the level of detail they announced and I am smiling a bit about their last statement, that this year we will only get ā€œtop gunā€ dlc. And now msfs santa claus opened his bag.

I was looking the X-plane version from the same producer. I didnā€™t like the sounds. I hope Asobo has rebuild them with completely new ones. German D-CDLH panel which was depicted on Ju-52 teaser is fine but I hope we get the original panel from X-Plane package.