New Release: A1R’s Ryan ST-A Special

Yeah @CasualClick provided a link which has some interesting info about the plane including about the spark lever: Flight Test: Ryan ST-A – The Thirties Sportster | Pilot Magazine

Doesn’t seem to actually do anything in the sim, guess it can’t be modelled properly but at least it is movable. I’m not a fan of inop switches and levers being stationary, I wanna move things dammit!

1 Like

also you have to pay attention to the fuel valve - engine starts, take offs, and landings are done using ‘res’ or reserve fuel but you have to remember to switch the valve to ‘main’ for sustained cruise… The airplane has the valve in the reserve position when it spawns but probably would be better if it was ‘off’ instead. It would remind the pilot that it is an important control for sustained flight.

1 Like

Ok did a quick flight, this thing is really nice. I don’t have every addon but is this the first that actually spins? I was pleasantly surprised to stall it, get an actual wing drop, and then fall into a spin that I actually needed rudder to exit out of. That alone was worth the purchase for me. Great plane!

3 Likes

No, I have done a spin before. I believe it was PA28 arrow. I also think a couple of Carenado planes do it too. But yeah… actually the first time I flew this ST-A, I entered a spin and couldn’t recover due to low altitude. Oops.

2 Likes

Yeah during my second flight I managed to get into a pretty nasty spin which I couldn’t recover from (also flying pretty low). First time that’s actually happened to me in this sim and it’s great.

1 Like

Was that the JustFlight Arrow? I do have that one but sadly I haven’t had a lot of time to spend with it yet.

Was going to wait till tomorrow to buy this, I am helping my wife’s dad cement a wall tomorrow and its 1am for me and he is a real perfectionist…But I am downloading this now :slight_smile: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

I second @BostonJeremy77 and @Megadyptes7635 and others who have said, this plane is good, I would say it is fantastic on all fronts.

2 Likes

I think I will not be able to resist this one. Especially after all the positive comments. This month might be expensive, there is also Stearman coming out from DC Designs that I want and probably one or two other aircraft.

2 Likes

I feel the pain, Ive spent over £250 this month on Flight sim stuff, PMDG DC6 yet to come, thats going to be another $60 :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What a day! 3 great planes dropped in a matter of hours and they’re all 3 very respectable additions to any hangar. Thanks for your quick tests guys and safe flying everyone.

2 Likes

No worries. I am sure MScenery is getting their next garbage tin ready. :wink: There will be THOSE days too. :wink: And don’t forget VirtualCol Embraer is coming too. That will be a doozy.

1 Like

I will pick this up once it hits the Just Flight Store.

I know, you make a painfully valid point :smile:

Really enjoying this plane, makes for a great VFR cruiser and tailwheel trainer.

One thing I’m confused about though, the ST-A Special is a 2 seater, even the description on the product page says that, but the model has only 1 seat. It seems like this is the (one and only) ST-B with 1 seat and extra fuel tank?

1 Like

Was wondering this myself too.
It probably will be converted later to the the ST-A Special :slight_smile:
But i’m fine with this one off version.
From Wikipedia:

ST-B

Single-seat variant of ST-A with extra fuel tank in place of front cockpit; one built, later converted to ST-A.

It’s a very nice plane and flies nicely.
The engine sounds could use some more low end.

Great thread. I stumbled onto this bird when I was at Simmarket looking at the Rafale 430 (out of another thread). I’ve l loved the Ryan since I was building models planes as a kid, and coveted the beautiful Sig kit–but couldn’t afford it.

I think this was the main livery of the Bill Lyon FS9 version. Maybe someone will do it for this one.
Buying this vintage treat today. The DC Designs Stearman simply does not compare.

4 Likes

If you look at where the front seat would be you can see what looks like a panel covering it, from the link posted above which gives a great overview of the aircraft (Flight Test: Ryan ST-A – The Thirties Sportster | Pilot Magazine):

“There was a sixty-litre auxiliary fuel tank option, which fitted in the front cockpit once the flight controls were removed. With the auxiliary tank in place, the front cockpit cut-out was faired over with a metal cover which hinged open, allowing the remaining space to be used as an additional baggage area.”

Although this is for just a regular ST-A not a ‘Special’ but seeing how the special is just an ST-A with a more powerful engine the same should apply I think, it can be either be a two seater or converted to a single seater pretty easily depending on the owner’s preference. On Wiki there’s a pic of a restored ST-A Special with the front seat covered up: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bd/RyanStaSpecial173ConcreteWa.jpg

It’d be nice if there was the option in the simulated version to open up the front pit and fit the windscreen in, maybe two different models on the plane selection screen like you have with the Spitfire IX being either clipped or regular wing.

1 Like

Been flying this today, and its a joy to fly. Very chill and soo good looking.

1 Like

Thanks for the additional info, I agree it would be great if we could choose between 1 and 2-seat models.