New Release: BRSim ERCO Ercoupe 415C

BRSim’s advertising blurb says:

“This addon is based on the Ercoupe 415C manufactured after WWII which had a 75HP Continental C75 engine.”

However, the [PISTON_ENGINE] section of the engine.cfg has this entry:

max_rated_hp=64.285714

Whatever, a 75hp upgrade shouldn’t be a problem but landings will be a little more challenging!

1 Like

Do you have latest version ?
My is 75, i also have another default values from you posts above.

Ahh, I see now - I copied my modded settings over the new ones without noticing - 75hp it is then!

Quirky little aircraft, flies more like an ultralight than a light aircraft. The lift/drag dynamics feel way out. A simple fix in my case, max out the weight and now we’ve got aerodynamics closer to a light aircraft. I wish we could do something about the un-aerodynamic aileron/roll setup!

I’ll definitely give the engine tweaks a try, because as shipped this is another mildly disappointing addon from BRSim.

• Engine sounds are of course quite wrong. BR used the XCub sounds for this.
  • Because BR used XCub sounds, he didn’t clean things up, namely:
    • There are sounds for the prop lever movement, even though there is no prop lever.
    • There is no sound attenuation when opening the canopy. (BRSim doesn’t know how to do this.)
  • As far as I can tell, this has no sound.ai, which (correct me if I’m wrong) might mean you can’t hear other people flying the same plane.
  • If you open the canopy with crash detection on, the plane will crash. This plane was/is regularly flown with the canopy open.
  • The canopy door animation is instant (i.e., there is no animation.) This is lazy and looks bad, but also means you can’t partially open the canopy (something I’ve seen Ercoupe pilots do on approach or just when they need some air.)
  • The aircraft will float forever. It behaves like a glider. You can safely land this at 40 kts with absolutely no power or wind. Very unrealistic compared to the actual 415C.
  • The trim is very slow, and the trim wheel animation frequently breaks for me.
  • Night lighting leaves much to be desired and is way too bright.
  • The click spot for the tablet is about 1px tall which is a pain for TrackIR/VR use.
  • The prop disk animation is very choppy and has a film effect. I’m not watching this through a camera (a lot of devs do this for some reason.)
  • After watching a few 415C videos, I haven’t seen one have a bar between the two canopy doors. When you have the canopy open in this aircraft, there should be nothing above you it seems (maybe some have it?)

There are some positives, of course. The plane overall looks pretty good inside and out, the rattling is pretty neat looking though exaggerated, and the inability to stall the aircraft is modeled very well. That’s the only part of the flight model that feels remotely accurate, however.

3 Likes

seems this developer did not use the spoiler trick to add parasitic drag - or use the latest SDK update to add prop drag effect…the airplane will therefore carry along over the fence without bleeding energy properly.
Aside from that to me anyway, it seems to fly ok if a bit fast in cruise.
I would like the canopy side windows to roll up and down or be positionable - rather than appear or disappear when clicked on… For the price though it’s a good addon

1 Like

Also I didn’t spot the ammeter so I assume we have to guess that the alternator is working! Also the venturi tube appears to be non-functional (at least its there i suppose). How can a venturi tube register 1 knot of airflow! Clearly a product for the casual gamer rather than a discerning Flightsimmer…

1 Like

Maybe the original 415’s didn’t have ammeters? The venturi tube creates suction which drives the vacuum-operated gauges.

1 Like

Will this be released on Xbox?

I don’t know. You should inquire with the manufacturer.

Any reason why my canopy doors won’t open? I don’t get the little hand icon to open them.

Are you running the latest version 1.2 that just came out today? I noticed this in the changelog: “Removed animation from windows.” and wasn’t sure what they meant by that.

Yes i got 1.2. Bought the model today. A little disappointing. Wanted to fly with open windows lol

Just to be sure, are you clicking way up top where they latch? I’ll try it today with 1.2, I also prefer to fly with the windows open on this one. Just did it yesterday with version 1.1, it’d be weird for them to just get rid of that feature.

Yes i’ve watched plenty of youtube reviews on it. Clicking at the top on the latch. Let me know if yours still work.

1 Like

what they needed to do was make the side windows positionable - as they are in real life. You grab the handle and slide the windows open or closed or anywhere in between.

1 Like

That’s what I requested of them months back. I don’t know why that turned into “completely remove the feature” :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: I just emailed them asking what’s up with that change. We’ll see…

1 Like

Personal Comments

Well, the good news is the bounce is indeed muted/reduced. That was about as smooth a landing from a contact/rollout view as I’ve had with this plane.

2 Likes

Its a lovely model. Just want my open windows back.

Do you people think the power from the motor is accurate? Mine seems really really slow.

It simulates the 75 HP model which is not super powerful. :slight_smile: (My understanding is most surviving ones have been souped up from that!)

1 Like