New Release: Carenado Cessna C170B

I wasn’t speaking specifically about the C170B, and I wasn’t comparing price. The discussion was about ALL Carenado offerings and their systems depth in comparison to “any payware” that @Stardrifter2232 has purchased, which includes JF Arrows.

2 Likes

Systems depth is a tricky thing. To me, systems are not deep if you don’t have to pay attention to them at all. For that reason, you’re definitely right that Carenado does not have much depth at all. Via the tablet with Just Flight there at least is some semblance of maintenance. It’s no AccuSim, but, given enough time we’ll get there!

2 Likes

It can be tricky for sure. For me, one of the determining factors is that you can take any Carenado plane and ignore most of it’s supposed limitations. You can use mixture incorrectly, can firewall the throttle the entire flight, maintain RPMs above redline, misuse and abuse the plane to your heart’s content and it likely won’t effect anything. Again, I’m not knocking them, as they have their place, and I own every plane aside from their Arrow, and still love them and fly them often. When it comes to their planes, the less complex it is, the better the Carenado offering can potentially be. In my opinion, that’s why the 170B, the Waco, and now the Staggerwing are so good. You can always bank on Carenado having the visuals knocked out of the park, so the less complexity to be modeled in flight model and avionics, the better.

2 Likes

I am actually pretty terrified of them bringing their jets over. In P3D, their GA planes were WAY better than the jets. The more complex it got, the worse it was. I know they have stepped up in a big way for MSFS though, so we shall see.

1 Like

Just purchased this a few days ago. Really very nice with only a couple of noteable issues on Xbox (perhaps PC too):

• the tablet could not be opened even though the hot spot label displays*;

• in the Pilot view and the Landing view rotating your view point gets stuck at the seatbelt at the back of the pilot’s seat in one direction but not the other; so you can go 360 degrees one way but only 180 degress the other.

Both issues reported to Carenado’s support desk.

*Now the good news: The tablet appears to be working now on Xbox with SU9beta.

If you like that retro feel of the 170B, you might also enjoy flying Aeroplane Heaven’s C140. I do. The flight models seem similar, with the C140 a tad easier to land without bouncing - for me, at least.

The various cockpits are quite reminiscent of the mid-late 50’s auto industry with bright colors and faux-leather seats that really capture that period, I think. Quite fun and they give me a happy feeling, flying around my favorite places in VFR…

2 Likes

I also have this sound bug on every Carenado aircraft, I have no idea where it comes from. No mods, still having it. Tried to debug it but I see no logic behind whether the bug will trigger or not.

Of the two the c140 is my favourite but no reason not to get both. After all people have both a c152 and c172,

Apparently there’s a fix in SU9 for aircraft that use the legacy ai sound features.

Carenado is still using lots of legacy FSX development practices.

Probably why most of my Carenado stuff has a propensity to ‘snap crackle and pop’.

1 Like

I just re-tested and confirmed that I am once again hearing the YMF5 sound in the external view of my C170B. Internal view sound is ok. I have 2 other Carenado aircraft that seem to be ok, both internally and externally. Conflict only appears on the C170B when the YMF5 is installed.

Looks like I’ll be removing the YMF5, again…

I’m thinking this could be due to ground traffic (the 170B will use the sound of another Carenado aircraft on the ground); can you try putting aircraft ground traffic at 0 and try again?

2 Likes

I am flying it out of a defunct, closed Naval Air Station with 0 ground traffic, but I’ll give it a try.
I am presently reloading the YMF5 (SLOW). Took a short clip of my C170B without it. Next will take a clip WITH the YMF5 installed and will post both.

The ground traffic can be miles away and you’ll still hear it. In other words, if it exists anywhere in your environment, you can hear it.

That is some “Ace-level” fault isolation you’ve done there, friend!

You are 100% correct. It appears like both the 170B AND the YMF5 sound files are somehow picking up characteristics of other aircraft ground traffic and making it their own.
I experimented moving the ground traffic slider back and forth between 0% and 100% and it noticeably changed the engine sound characteristics for BOTH of these Carenado aircraft.

I know that for many, this probably doesn’t seem like a big deal. But for me at least, if I were riding a Harley Davidson motorcycle simulation, I certainly wouldn’t be satisfied if it sounded like a Honda 150. :rofl:

Thank you for your info.
Now I don’t have to repeatedly uninstall and reinstall my YMF5. :+1: :+1: :+1:

2 Likes

When I try to save a custom head position in the cockpit in the 170B my game crashes to desktop. Every time, only with this plane. Is this a known bug?

The plane is visually really nice, a lot of detail went into the modeling. It is also one of the hardest to land airplanes in the game. If I get one small bounce, I consider the landing to be as good as I can get it. No bouncing is just luck in my case. I have looked at videos of this plane landing and it does bounce in real life too. Either off the ground or almost, but I cannot help but feel that it is more bouncy in the game. My stats in Volanta can be 0.96g, -71fpm, 41kt - stall horn sounding - and that still is an actual bounce. I have landed it about 25 times, a lot of them with similar stats, and only once I had no bounce. I have also botched several with hitting the tailwheel first due not being used to the shallow deck angle and that really bounces :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah, I agree. I’ve spent may hours in this plane (in the sim) and for me it lands like a beach ball every time.

1 Like

This video is probably all you need to know about landing this beast.

This actually looks very much like in the game, though the real bounces seem a bit less pronounced, but that can be the feel in the sim, tough to figure out without a replay ( please put that in Asobo ).
So off we go again, trying this until I get it.

I fly the Tundra wheel C170 a lot and it almost never bounced. Only with very bad landings it may happen.

1 Like