New Release: dc-designs-pt17-stearman

I can confirm the issue. But THANK YOU for tying it to rain. I had a 10 min flight with this earlier in Puerto Rico. But you know how things are in the Carribean - you start off raining and 2 minutes later it’s sunny. When I started, the two right-most sections of the windshield (if you were to split it into 3 - left, center, right) were going crazy with shifting and flickering… When I landed, the issue wasn’t happening anymore. But now I know it’s because it was sunny! :slight_smile: I thought it was just a one-off glitch that went away after a few minutes and wouldn’t return on the next flight.

I only had a few minutes with the aircraft before thunder ripped across the prairie. Computer off and unplugged. So, I never had time to find out how to put the WW2 pilot into the cockpit of the RCAF machine instead of the default Asobo aviator. Can anyone provide this info? Then, when it is safe to continue flying, I will be ready.

There’s a button on the radio to the left of the dials that lets you switch them out, covered in the PDF manual.

2 Likes

We kept the brake scalar low as we didn’t want folks to have issues that might put them off flying and enjoying the airplane ( especially when aerodynamics updates and bugs in MSFS can make life hard in tail-draggers already ). When things settle down, I’ll up the brake effectiveness accordingly - it’s only a value in the flightmodel.cfg so easy to alter.

6 Likes

Thank you. We still have electrical activity in the air here, so I’ve not yet had a chance to get back to either the aircraft or the manual.

if you enter systems.cfg you will find this:

Asobo airplanes has a default value of 0.5 in the toe_brake_scale.

As Dean said, we lowered this on purpose to 0.38, because we thought that some users could be using digital buttons for brakes and not analogue rudder brakes (also because we find the default value excessive). Starting from 0.45
It can provide you that effect you are looking for and do not suppose a high risk.

4 Likes

@DEAN01973 I know it may or may not be “realistic” but this would be an INSTANT buy for me if you did what the dev of the EMB200 Ipanema did and add a cropduster option with the new particle effects editor…
edit: seem to have found a couple instances of converted/modified cropduster stearmans

1 Like

I read a great book years ago about the Stearman and the airplane has stuck in my mind as a favourite since reading it, it’s called The Cannibal Queen by a guy called Stephen Coonts and its an excellent read for Aviation enthusiasts, but be careful, if you read it you may want to buy yourself a real Stearman!
I’m off to get this DC version now. :+1:

2 Likes

I’m always surprised when an otherwise nice model is released that has something blocky or low poly such as gauge rims, angular window frames, etc. letting down the overall model; it’s what the flyer sees most of the time and gives a lasting impression. It should be a major focus of modelling not a make do. I say this as a general comment on the subject, not anything particular about the Stearman.

3 Likes

Is this going to be included as a mission?

3 Likes

When Golden Age Simulations made their Stearman pack for FSX they wanted to cover the 3 most important types of the model 75 - The military trainer, the crop duster, and the so called ‘Super Stearman’
airshow variant.
It was a big success but more than that it is historically important for the simple reason that no other airplane did all three of those jobs - and that not a single airplane ever did any one of them better than the Stearman. It might be important to note here that it was the crop dusters who made the Super Stearman possible as they were the first to hang that big Wasp 450hp motor on them to increase their carrying capacity. With that motor and the clipped wings the thing was a beast and an half for dusting work.

3 Likes

Those struts supporting the wings look very angular. In all the photos I’ve seen they have a much more aerodynamic profile, only flattened slightly at the top and bottom where they attach to the wings or fuselage…

T-6 Texan might argue with you about that… Pretty sure that’s done all three and more quite well…

1 Like

monoplanes don’t count - besides - under that canopy you can’t enjoy the smell of malathion like you can in The One True Airplane

2 Likes

Found an old US Navy handbook for the Stearman if anyone’s interested. stearman.pdf - Google Drive

1 Like

Is it possible to switch from rear to front view?

1 Like

Yeah, just go to the cameras section of the top toolbar and under pilot views there’s an option to switch to the front view.

1 Like

God I love this plane, just took it for a nice flight down the hood river to Pearson field. Fly’s amazing, really well done, Id pay twice the amount for it!

9 Likes

+1

And rounder wingtips please!

Still counting down to the release on SimMarket :grimacing:

2 Likes

What’s the setting, to see both, pilot and co-pilot, from external view ?