New Release: dc-designs-pt17-stearman

update your Stearman or delete and reinstall

Strangeā€¦ I just bought it 2 weeks ago from the market placeā€¦ I will throw some screenshots up!

after review the placard over the starter button does say ā€˜starteā€™ - I thought the last letter was behind the framing but no. While itā€™s a small thing and makes no difference, other than to the fact that itā€™s trueā€¦it is what it is

Top two shots show the different cockpits. Also missing smoke switch label, and the font is very comic sans on the bottom image. Other two shots are just nice. lol

OK, I know whatā€™s happened there, one of the liveries must have the older text version in it, which is over-riding the correct one.

I just bought the plane and found that it has two different variants but no description. What are the differences between the two?

1 Like

Can I mod the files to point to the right one?

I donā€™t want to stray too far off topic, but I mentioned Vicky Benzing the other day and thought Iā€™d follow up and say I went to Airventure yesterday and had the privilege of watching her fly in person. I hope you guys donā€™t mind me sharing a few photos, but I imagine most of you who watch this thread will appreciate it. She only has the two ailerons, by the way. Watching her roll it over was fantastic!

8 Likes

The one without the engine cowling is the standard variant with about 225hp built in large numbers as military trainers.

The other one has an engine cowling and a retrofitted larger engine. In real life the 9-cylinder Wasp Junior radial (+/- 450hp) were often used. So this version has significantly more power - which can be gathered from the specs on the plane selection screen.

2 Likes

You backed this up by creating and releasing that livery, too, firstā€¦ right? Otherwise, how rude <face_with_raised_eyebrow>

:wink:

1 Like

Quick made pics and video

4 Likes

Iā€™ll leave the livery making to the experts, but she has one nice looking Stearman for sure!

1 Like

And the extremity dead zone at 48 % should be applied to both of them if you want a realistic experience?

Only on the standard PT-17, to replicate its slower rate of roll. The bigger-engined version normally has extra ailerons for higher roll rate in real life, so you can leave that one as it is.

1 Like

I know many 450 Stearmans used engines (P&W Wasp jr.) and props from Beech 18ā€™s. Some pictures that might help is here: Boeing Stearman

1 Like

Both the Pratt R-985 (thatā€™s the 450hp) and the Lycoming 300HP engine (thatā€™s whatā€™s actually on the Cannibal Queen) have controllable pitch props. The Lyc 300hp has always been my favorite on the planeā€¦ certainly not as much power as the 450hp, but super smooth and doesnā€™t gulp gas quite as voraciously. The 450 just doesnā€™t have much range.

Roll rate - especially on the stock Continental 220hp versions that presumably donā€™t have upper ailerons - is still significantly too fast. I actually timed aileron rolls from the same entry speed and compared it to gopro footage I took in a 220hp plane in real lifeā€¦ thatā€™s how I arrived at my extremity dead zone setting - which I incorrectly remembered above as 48%. Itā€™s actually 45%.

Drag - this is something that surprised me, how correct you got the drag. NOTHING falls out of the sky like a Stearman, especially in a full slip. Love it!

Only real critique now is I think an MSFS-ism because I see it on other planes too: when you apply rudder for a slip, the nose yaws initially to what appears a correct position, but then rebounds back towards a coordinated position even if you hold the rudder in. You do get the drag so the slip works fine from a functional perspective, it just doesnā€™t quite look right. But again, I think this is just a sim-ism. FSX and P3d do the same thing.

5 Likes

Bought this baby on Sale last Saturday, and took it for a spin yesterday.

Boy did I have some fun. This is most definitely one that will see the outside of the hangar on a frequent basis.

5 Likes

I saw her in Mid Julyā€¦ very good show.

2 Likes

Hi guys, just trying out the Stearman. Very nice :). One question is about the transponder, does it support Mode C? Thanks.

I donā€™t think it does, no, it was a very basic rendition. The Stearman will be getting an update this year hopefully, so a better transponder might make it in also.

4 Likes