New Release: dc-designs-pt17-stearman

I love the option of having the chrome spinners on the Stearman

the shape is important though…as well as the position - much more rounded and fitting closer to the engine crankcase bell housing

1 Like

Thanks, Dean! That’s great to hear, on all counts!

1 Like

sorry to hear that you have been under the weather, Dean - I appreciate all the work you and CodenameJack are doing. Take it easy

2 Likes

fur this version they are right,but not for the other :+1:

1 Like

as said by Deano above - the spinners are for the cowled, airshow ‘Super Stearman’ only and he means to correct that. Should note too that the 450HP crop duster Stearman would likely have a spinner too - not that I want to give DC Designs any ideas

1 Like

Couple of things of note with the update while on the topic

• the pilot disappears when zoomed in
  • nav lights are out of alignment with the lenses
  • chrome spinner on the cowl version needs an update as per some previous messages.
  • none of my installed liveries appear. I assume they are not compatible with the update?
  • get well soon!

my installed liveries appear

Rest up, that’s more important.

2 Likes

Got caught out by that as well! :rofl:

2 Likes

Is this patch/update only available on the Just Flight website? I got my aircraft through Marketplace - how can I get the update? Any help is appreciated.

1 Like

Marketplace updates can take a while. Seems like it’s usually around two or three weeks.

I, too, have the Marketplace version which coincidentally also happens to be identified as 1.0.5. - no spinners, no floating bolts.

There apparently is an error somewhere regarding version numbers.

I am more than content to wait this out for as long as it takes for our great developer to get over the illness and start feeling healthy again.

:+1: :+1:

1 Like

Just reading through the v1.0.5 release notes and was wondering what this means/does?

Just got my update to the Stearman on the MarketPlace to 1.0.6

EDIT: yep, I have floating bolts.

The max roll rate definitely should be sacrificed from what the previous version was capable of… it was about twice as fast as it should have been.

Looking forward to trying the new version though! :+1:

1 Like

I don’t get this either. The problem with the previous version was the maximum roll rate that was way too fast, not the sensitivity itself.

So the update just adds a sensitivity curve as default or what exactly is going on? I don’t see any other explanation if you want to make it “less sensitive” around the center but keep the maximum roll rate.

It responds to prop pitch if you set it on a controller, but there is no lever in the cockpit (yet?).

No, the maximum roll rate for a stearman is still 120 deg/s, but at a speed greater than 95 ias. This capacity has been corrected, according to airspeed, dynamic pressures, etc. That’s partly by introducing CFD

3 Likes

Got it. Didn’t know we were expecting an updated cockpit with prop pitch lever (maybe?). I would accept this updated cockpit, especially with the more powerful version :slight_smile:

But good to know if we want to adjust the prop pitch axis we can do that with our hardware or controller via bindings.

I promise I’m not trying to be mean or pedantic here, I’m just trying to help make this product as good as it can be.

That said, I absolutely guarantee you that the maximum roll rate of a stock Stearman with two ailerons is nowhere near 120 / sec, at any airspeed. I’m curious where you got that number?

The following is a video of me teaching basic aileron rolls and loops to another instructor. The first aileron roll is at about 00:15. That’s a 130kt entry speed, and full left aileron deflection throughout the roll, with a footfull of top (left) rudder applied as well during the second half of the roll.

You can see that’s nowhere near 120 degrees / sec. That’d be a 3 second roll. This is almost a 6 second roll… verifying that current max roll rate in the sim Stearman is almost twice as fast as it should be capable of.

3 Likes