New Simmers: Introduce Yourself!

Hello Everyone,

I’m a over 40 long time gamer but pretty new to Flight Sims. I used to play Jane’s WW2 fighters back in the day and even tried F-16 Falcon which kicked my rear.

I decided to give FS2020 a try and I’m enjoying it so far but I have to tell you folks I suck at landing. I’ve watched several tutorials and outside of going step by step button by button I’ve followed what I’ve seen. I’m not sure if it’s me, the game, Xbox or what but it seems from time to time Autopilot has a mind of it’s own on approach. Possibly I have too much enabled at the end or I’m missing something. If anyone can give me tips I’d much appreciate it.

Here’s what I’m currently finding. Entering in your arrival is key in the CPU console that says which runway you’ll be landing in and all that. I see the diamonds for approach (approach mode enabled) and I can see the plane trying to do what I want but it never seems to drop altitude and speed properly. I usually get impatient and try to help and that’s when all heck breaks loose. The plane either goes crazy starts gaining altitude on it’s own or speeds up, starts changing course. I get that autopilot might disengage when I try to participate too much but you’d think things would not work and the plane would be dead stick instead of accelerating and changing direction.

I’m finding landing the most frustrating part of the game and as much as I cuss and get angry every time I crash I find it almost addicting to try to get a perfect landing. I’ve probably done at least 50 flights from Greensboro to RDU trying to get a good landing.

I’ve tried easy a few times and that does help a lot but that doesn’t really help you transition into what to do when you take all those helpful guides off.

Anyways, I’m enjoying the game and look forward to playing it more. I’ve traveled quite a bit to some of the National Parks and it’s fun to see them again through the air. Some of the models are garbage to real life. Yellowstone is trash to the real thing same with Half Dome? Whoever did that was drunk or something. Maybe it’s the Series S but on my Xbox is looks like a gray ice cream scoop that’s not on right.

1 Like

MODERATOR EDIT:

Hey, everybody,
Petr Hnatik
I am from the Czech Republic, I am a complete newcomer to MSFS.
I’m 70 years old.

Ahoj všichni,
Petr Hnatik
Jsem z České republiky, na MSFS jsem úplný nováček.
Je mi 70 let.

3 Likes

first of all, welcome to MSFS.
Iam sorry to hear that the landing dont work out the way you plan or like.
If you can tell me what airplane you re flying, I/we can help you out with some tips or tricks.
I can actually also take a look with you during a landing via discord shared screen to see if everything is set properly.
If you are in to that, just let me know via a DM.
regarding the scenery, iam sure the devs were not drunk, and they try everything possible to get it right.

1 Like

Ahoj Petr,
Welcome to MSFS. I hope you enjoy the sim a bit. If you need any help or facing issues just let me know and we find a way to help you out.
in this topic Latest Fly Together/Find a Friend topics - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums, you can find or look for other people form the czech republic.
Hope to see you soon in the skies one day!

Hi Alex, welcome to MSFS.
I hope you going to have a wonderfull time with the sim.
If you need any help or guidance, just sent me a DM and we will figure it out!

Blue skies

Hi Saddy, welcome to MSFS.
I hope you enjoyit so far. For me Youtube has been my big friend learning the real life procedures.
You might also want to check Vatsim VATSIM.net | The International Online Flying Network out if you want to fly as real as it gets.

1 Like

Hello, I appreciate the offer to help. I’d be happy to setup a time to fly together. Do you have any time EST? I do have a game card where I can stream my play to Twitch.

Hi I’m a new pilot flying on xbox/x.
Loving the learning curve so far, I’ve invested in a keyboard but can’t get my miss on a horas at min due to price gouging in the UK.
I’m based in the UK I usually fly out of RAF Lakenheath with my F15.
I also am an Elite Dangerous cmdr on xbox hence my avatar. Yes I do enjoy the challenge of a difficult game.
Hoping to meet many new friends up in the Blue ( or in the black)

Fly safe cmdrs o7

4 Likes

I just sent a DM

First of allwelcome to MSFS!
I cant help you with the xbox setup but maybe other @Copilot can.
Good to hear you have fun in the skies, and maybe we can see eachother one day in the skies.
Since my only warbird here is a spitfire, I cant challenge you for a little tailchasing or can I… :wink:

Hi @PHJAAP
Thank you for Welcoming me . I always am trying to Learn new Things about Aircraft from Youtube as it biggest source of Traning Material for me . Will definitely be trying VATSIM as it is as close to real ATC as it gets. Right now i am trying to perfect my Landing skills and Aircraft handling as i a newbie to flying in SImulator

2 Likes

If you need any help or assistance, just let me know via a DM

Community, this is iHush from Mexico City, flying in FS since MSFS4, left for a while on MSFS9 and joined the virtual skies again since the launch of MSFS2020 on Xbox series X, I’ve been reading the forums since then as well.

I enjoy doing VFR in my country and anywhere in the world and from time to time completing airliner legs, trying to get as real as possible.

4 Likes

Welcome! Happy flying :airplane:

Hi, you can call me Flybeeson
I am playing flight simulator on an x box series x linked to my Samsung TV.
I am new to both the x box and the MSFS game.
I just set up my x box yesterday then installed the game which looks great, but I’m having some basic issues with using the controller to operate the menus. I’ve worked out by trial and error that I can navigate around the menus with the left stick and then use the A button to select the item. However I can’t seem to change any of the menu settings which are all set to “easy” (luckily). If I get a wireless mouse to use with the controller can change the menu settings that way? (or is it possible somehow without a mouse?)

4 Likes

Hello, I started flying MSFS 2020 on my series s when I arrived on XBox and now I’m flying in and out of dirt and grass strips with the bush taildraggers. I’m not good, but i’m having loads of fun

4 Likes

I’m Mark (dflipb)
I’m playing on the PC (VR)
I think the sim looks amazing. I have always wanted to learn to fly and I think this would be a great way to break into that, maybe it will lead to me actually learning how to fly?!

I’m most interested in actually learning how to fly. And as someone who knows how to model and rig, I’d like to make my own plane and fly it!

Hello all!

4 Likes

Hi, I am new and would like to create events in the calendar for MSFS2020.

**Hi, you can call me: Nodak
I am playing Microsoft Flight Simulator on: a PC
I want to try flight simulation because: Had an earlier version and decided to get back into it.
I’m most interested in learning about flight operations and destinations in Microsoft Flight Simulator:

2 Likes

Im a complete newbie that is looking to learn the proper way to fly planes on flight simulator. Im super excited to join the community.

4 Likes