New Simmers: Introduce Yourself!

Welcome to the forums @UnlimitedBagels !

Also, great username :grin:

3 Likes

Hi @sTiKyTiSsU3 ! Welcome to the forums and great to hear youā€™re enjoying the experience!

There are many knowledgeable people here that are happy to share their knowledge so I think youā€™re in a good place :blush:.

Happy flying!

2 Likes

Hello all. New to flight sims. I go by Edward60, unless someone else is using that moniker. Playing MSFS2020 on PC since Dec 2022. I have wanted to get this since the 80ā€™s. But family, kids and wife always came first. So far it has been a lot of fun.
There is so much to learn. That is the most enjoyable part: learning and understanding.
Very good chance I will be on here to pick brains. I hope to chat with some of you folks in the near future.
Have a good day and see you soon.

3 Likes

Hi @Edward609155 ,

Welcome to the community! Totally agree on the learning and understanding part. And thereā€™s a lot of brains to pick here :brain: :slightly_smiling_face:.

Happy flying!

1 Like

Hi, my name is Tim and I am from Texas. While I am not new to simming it has been a number of years since I have been active, so I figure it is best to just start as brand new beginner. I am planning on a VR Flight Sim (or possible a hybrid). I am a retired USAF fighter pilot, but that was a long time ago. Just looking to have a lot of fun and hopefully get some help from more experienced VR pilots along the way. Thanks in advance to all who provide some guidance.

6 Likes

Iā€™m Mike. Recently moved from Texas to Williamsburg to be near family after retiring from tech industry. Build high end PCā€™s as a hobby. Iā€™ve been flying 5 months. Thanks to all the sim YouTubers who got me in the air! Just started a coastline world tour. Posting all my flight plans at oceanscoast.com along with YouTube highlight videos of the journey. My father-in-law flew in World War II as a bomber pilot.

4 Likes

Greetings!
Waiting for my 118GB Steam (PC) download to complete. Played earlier versions of FS, itā€™s been probably 20 years since Iā€™ve flown. Got the itch to pick it up again.
KSDF is my home airport (Louisville, KY).
Air Force vet - avionics - Pave Tack on the F-111F and IRADS on the F-1117A.
For a long time I wanted to be a commercial pilot, but my nearsightedness kept me from really pursuing it. Passed the FAA pre-screen to become an ATC (after I got out of he Air Force in '91), but they werenā€™t doing a lot of hiring then and I eventually gave up on that.
Playing on a home built PC - Win 11, Core i5 12400F, 32GB, nVidia RTX 3060, 3x Acer 23" monitors, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 from way back when.

5 Likes

Hello !

I am NixonRider also known as MythicSimPilot depending on the platform. I am from Quebec, Canada. I work in the IT sector, living happily with my wife in our home. I also am a World of Warcraft performance player, which I also play a lot.

Even though I played a very few hours younger to flight sims, I really started when MSFS2020 came out. I was hooked. Iā€™ve learned all the way from small GAs to Airliners, from VFR to IFR, Spent 1 hour of flying for about 5hours of video of learning. Videos from flight simmers or real airline pilot. (I thank Chewwy, TheFlyingFabio, 737NgDriver, A320SimPilot, Mentour Pilot, 74Gear, and many more). Learned ATC for VATSIM, I now have about 500 hours on that same platform and a bit more than 800Flight Hours logged on MSFS. All this learning even brought me to start a PPL, surprisingly for my instructor I known so so much prior to the ground school and flying because of all my reading and video watching. When I fly on the sim I want to be perfect from start to finish.

Like many, I decided to drop my PPL, because as weird as it sounds, I much rather flying the simulator (in a realistic way) than flying in real life. I realized I am an IFR lover, I donā€™t much enjoy flying VFR in real life or in the simulator - it takes a lot of time and money to be able to fly IFR in real world. Flying in real life is somewhat complicated and very expensive, also very costly on the precious ressource : Time. Here, I can do whatever flight I want, from the comfort of my home, present for my wife.

Thanks all and happy flying to all !

6 Likes

Hello, Iā€™m also new to MSFS 2020 but not new to flight simulation. Have you tried updating your firmware on your thrustmaster?

1 Like

Welp here goesā€¦ I go by Nacho Xbox1X. Reason for is that I made that gamertag for a Xbox one x that I happen to win from taco bell a x never changed it. That gamertag migrated from that console once I gave it to my 8yr old daughter when the series x launched and I got one of those.

Ive played msfs in the past as I used to be a PC centered guyā€¦ I built and rebuilt or upgraded my PC about twice a year back when gfx cards were more like 3 and 4 hundred bucks or so instead of 1600 or more.

Ive gotten pretty heavy into msfs 2020 on Xbox as I love console gaming since you can play on a huge 65 inch tv on a couch or in bed with a nice turtle beach flight stick and itā€™s just comfy and the game plays decently enough for me. I am an eye candy and fps guy but I started to hate over time hunched over a desk.

And Ive spent a few hundred on planes and a controller etc so far so itā€™s safe to say itā€™s got me. Iā€™ma pretty decent pilot but the 2 or 3 things that irk me areā€¦

The store just doesnā€™t give us the love of folks get. Hopefully that changes soon with updates and wasm etc. If I can get some.bae 146, antonov. C5 and itā€™s big brother, b1 and b2 and sr71, along with pretty much all of md80, 727, 737 old school, 757, 757, 777, 737 max done right, and a whole slew of other planes.

The only 2 planes I havenā€™t popped for but want and could are the f15 and f16, I just honestly donā€™t know how much Iā€™d fly them as lately Iā€™ve been all about the jumbo jets and bush missions. I love military planes but Iā€™d much rather drop that money on some GA planes in the above list, even tho I love the f16 and f15 is a goat too.

Other thing is I canā€™t for the life of me get down auto land. Iā€™ve followed.guides etc, and my plane will descend and all that and fly right over the line and just never enter the pattern to land. It sure acts like it will but at the end itā€™s just like ā€œgotemā€ and last time (today) it did a circle over Oā€™Hare and headed BACK towards where I took off from. ā– ā– ā– ?

Odd thing is about 3 or 4 days ago my plane was doing the same stuff and I was close to the landing pattern so I started clicking off all buttons for auto pilot and ils and everything I had on, grabbed the controlls and dove into the flight path (Iā€™ve been loving my a318 and I think this was either thet or my a319)
And like all other times it wonā€™t auto land I was like screw it Iā€™ll do it myself (I like landing but I just wanted to see the plane lane itself yanno).

Anyhow the oddest thing happened. As soon as I got into the landing pattern, and all my auto pilot buttons I pressed and turned offā€¦ all the ones you use for auto land and such, so I was flyingā€¦ the plane all of a sudden took back over control and followed the landing pattern, the turns, flaps, gear, throttle, you name it. I still was about 2 inches from my flight stick in case it tried to commit suicide like the autoland I tried on the Concorde, but wouldnā€™t you know itā€¦ it landed itself. I didnā€™t flare for it or anything so it touched down all 3 wheels at once but it was nice and smooth and then I took over but I couldnā€™t believe it.

Because I had everything turned off so it had to of been the game bugging out on me, but I canā€™t lremember for the life of me what I did other than turn all the auto pilot buttons I had on off because I wanted to repeat it to see if it would land again.

Iā€™ve tried it again tonight and nopeā€¦ I couldnā€™t even get both aps to turn on at the same time and again it just about faced and tried to fly back to where I took off from. Landing was ILS only and I just said screw it and landed in vfr even tho the tower was blowing me up but I could easily see the lights and runway through light rain and some fog/clouds with barely any wind so it was easy for Oā€™Hare.

But yeahā€¦ Iā€™ve read and watched and tried 100 times to auto land and for whatever reason it just wonā€™t in my a318, a319, a320, 737max, 787.

I donā€™t care THAT much, but it would be nice to auto land once in awhile and do an observed landing here and there if I want to.

Aside from those couple things and not having more planes to buy (osprey and antonov too) I love the game and hope to catch yā€™all in the skiesā€¦ I live in Seattle so I take off outta KSEA a whole lotā€¦ plus itā€™s a great place to fly from and too since you got water planes, bush trips and a busy and very beautiful airport in the morning once you punch through the fog and cloud layers to watch the sun come up over the sound or see mt rainier etc.

Love the game. Updates and new aircraft canā€™t come soon enough. Autoland, you butthead, Iā€™ll get you someday.

Cheers :beers: and sorry for the lengthy introduction

:heart: :airplane:

2 Likes

Thanks for your extensive introduction @NachoXbox1X ! Welcome to the forums!

MSFS has a AI pilot function that basically takes over control of your aircraft. This could be what youā€™ve experienced.

I donā€™t know if the planes you listed actually have autoland functionality implemented but it should work on the standard A310 that came with the 40th anniversary.

Good luck!

1 Like

Hello all like-minded people on this forum!

I bought in the 2000ā€™s Microsoft flight sim, but never came close to it! Small children and family took up most of the time - So there was never an opportunity to fly right away. - Now times have changedā€¦ And I acquired Pc + Yoke + Headset and 2 monitors . And Microsoft Flight sim .2020 Editions ā€¦ And a new world opens ā€¦ with possibilities that never end! I have a flying interest in RC Aviation as background. -But am useless at computers and software. But at least managed to start flying in Simulator since fall 2022 ** So youā€™ll have to put up with some ā€œDummiesā€ questions" that may arise!? In my defense, I usually joke that I was born before the typewriter. :slight_smile: And itā€™s not easy to keep up" with todayā€™s developments.
I guess Iā€™ll have to skim through the forum a bitā€¦ And hope it can give me many answers?

Would it end up in the wrong forum section? Can the administrator move it :upside_down_face:

Have fun

Translated with DeepL Translate: The world's most accurate translator (free version)

5 Likes

Welcome! No question is a bad one :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi, I used to fly FS in the late 80ā€™s and early 90ā€™s and am just coming back to it so I can introduce my grandkids. Having some trouble with setup - I want to run on a PC (both desktop and laptop), tried via Game Pass but realised this only worked with an XBox controller and we want to use HOTAS (have bought Thrustmaster HOTAS One to get started). If I buy a download code, can I use it on PC and laptop (only 1 will be in use at a time, or do I need to buy 2?) / If I buy a CD/DVD can I install it on 2 machines? Thanks in advance, MartinS

4 Likes

If I recall correctly, you can havs MSFS installed on two different devices and use one account for each.
As you said though, You will only be able to log into one at the same time.

1 Like

Hi, you can call me: Perkser2131 OR P21
I am playing Microsoft Flight Simulator on: Both PC and Xbox regularly
I want to try flight simulation because: I have always heard cool things about MFSM2020
Iā€™m most interested in learning about being able to have fun in Microsoft Flight Simulator!
I also know @HamMan2118

3 Likes

Hi, you can call me: Reza
I am playing Microsoft Flight Simulator on: PC
**I want to try flight simulation because luv to fly
Iā€™m most interested in learning about nav and avionics in Microsoft Flight Simulator:

4 Likes

**Hi, you can call me: Anthony (or CagyPit72 since that is my xbox handle, even tho I play on PC, more on that)
I am playing Microsoft Flight Simulator on: I play on my computer, but think i originally bought the game on XBOX. I have no idea if this if the PC or XBOX version, which is one frustration.
**I want to try flight simulation because: I would love to learn how to fly. The game looks so fun when i see vids online, and Iā€™m consider getting my GA pilots license. I invested some $ into the game already, but a couple months later Iā€™m about ready to just quit. Itā€™s too complicated and i get nowhere on my own. Do you need a computer science degree to enjoy this game?? I tried to get some decent equipment here is my setupā€¦

Computer: HP OMEN with Intel Core i7 and NVDIA GEFORCE RTX 300Hz refresh rate. Idk, those are what the stickers say. In my online searches, I found I able to use NVIDIA DLSS SUPER RESOLUTION with this set up. Which i have been happy with, but why is my game still sooo glitchy so often, something else??? So frustrating, I read that my internet speed, tho not fast, is not the issue? Any advice on optimizing gameplay and graphics would be welcome to start. I bought this dang computer soley to give flight sim a shot.

I bought Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo throttle setup and yoke. Currently just flying the Cessna 172 with steam gauges (had to buy the premium pack to use this dang plane!). Good plane to learn with? Here i am at my wits end on how to program these things. Doing things like changing comā€™s, or changing a squack code w/o having to try to do it with my mouse while flying??? There is a knob that i have tried to program on the dial. I could go on and on here. Any help to set up my buttons just to fly the Cessna 172 would be great.

It also has a commercial setup, that looks/sounds fun, realistically iā€™ll never program on of those it seems, but long run would love to fly commercial planes on here and join a VATSIM or similar community w/o looking like an idiot.

EFB: Is this the only way to create a flight plan? See weather for planning purposes? Find out good info on an airport? I want to plan flights and follow them. I have Garmin Pilot and ForeFlight, been unsuccessful connecting either to my flight simulator. Super frustrating. All i have is a samsung tablet (i know Iā€™m poor) so that makes Garmin Pilot out. Please help me get an EFB connected to my flight sim, I want to plan flights and follow them, with end goal of learning enough to join VATSIM and do a career mode. I can barley find the airport Iā€™m looking for at this point. It canā€™t all be this hard. Could my EFB issue be somehow cause i am using an XBOX version on my PC? I downloaded Flight Events to connect the EFB to my MSFS, says connected and it connects to my MSFS, but EFB apps will not connect.

Camera: how do you guys control your cameraā€™s so well? I just use the mouse and hold right click down to move the camera, but its kinda awful, and goes all over the place. Help to program the camera so on my yoke setup maybe??

Thanks for reading my rant. Iā€™m concerned i just dropped thousands on something that is just too complicated and i wonā€™t be able to enjoy correctly. Any help is welcome I will be checking back. Thanks Flight Sim Community!

4 Likes

4 posts were split to a new topic: Canā€™t find SOFLY A GUIDE TO FLIGHT SIMULATOR: EXTENDED EDITION purchased from Marketplace

very nice!!

1 Like