New system reassurance please

First post to the forum so hello all :wave:

I’ve finally got tired of stuttering and not being able to enjoy the full quality of the graphics on offer and have decided to invest in a new PC

I play on a 1080 monitor and fly the Fenix mainly.

This is the setup I’ve ordered via Overclockers UK:

• 1x Kolink Citadel Mesh RGB Micro-ATX Case - Black
  • 1x Intel Core i7-14700K (Raptor Lake-S) Socket LGA1700 Processor - Retail
  • 1x Kingston Fury Beast 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-28800C18 3600MHz Dual Channel Kit
  • 1x Kolink Umbra Void AIO 240mm Performance ARGB CPU Water Cooler
  • 1x Gainward GeForce RTX 4060Ti Panther 16GB GDDR6 Graphics Card
  • 1x WD Black SN770 1TB SSD M.2 2280 NVME PCI-E Gen4 Solid State Drive (WDS100T3X0E)
  • Intel B760 (Socket 1700) DDR4 Motherboard

I know I should probably have checked on here before hitting buy, but it was a bit of an impulsive decision! :smile::smile: Anyway, it’s not too late to cancel the order if needs be I suppose​:wink:

Any thoughts on this are much appreciated thanks :pray:

What power supply?

I would maybe have doubled the RAM to future proof.

Overall looks pretty reasonable.

Sure about that?

Thanks for the replies :+1:

This is the power supply:

850W 80+ Bronze Rated PSU

As far as RAM goes I had to draw the line somewhere with budget and was thinking this should be enough?

Micro ATX? Not fixed on it.

Thanks again :pray:

Should be fine for now which I guess is what you need.

There will be a lot of heat generated to effectively run MSFS so Micro ATX would not be my choice. A quiet case with good cooling would be a priority.

3 Likes

32GB of RAM is fine for now. It’s an easy upgrade in future if you find you need it.

2 Likes

1TB of storage will run out surprisingly quickly.

1 Like

What brand is the motherboard? I suggest you check that your Kingston RAM is on the compatibility list of the board.

If you have the cash, I’d suggest purchasing a second SSD so you can separate the OS from MSFS. The standard MSFS install with all world & city updates, etc. is now around 330 GB, but uses more for decompression & caches. Windows 11 + any additional basic apps you want to install (MS Office, etc) can easily use 200GB or more, so if you start adding a lot of add-ons, you’ll fill up the remaining 400-odd GB of your 1TB SSD quite quickly. I’d suggest: Minimum: 500 GB for windows + 1 TB for MSFS; Better: 1 TB for windows & non-MSFS Apps & 1 TB for MSFS; Better yet: 1 TB for windows & 2 TB for MSFS.

You don’t mention the manufacturer of your PSU. Check out the reliability of yours on the web - some manufactures have excellent reputations, others, not so good. I’d also suggest, if you can afford it, to upgrade to a gold 1000W power supply. The GPU spec sheets suggests 650W or better, but you don’t want to be approaching the rated maximum for your bronze-rated PSU.

I also agree with @Lochboisdale - heat build-up could be an issue in your micro-atx case.

1 Like

I’d definitely revise this on the order. Your PSU is the heart of your PC and if it’s not upto par, your system will pass on to the gaming desk in the sky.

Have a look here, I’d go 1000w if you can, future proofing a little - PSU Tier List rev. 17.0g - Cultists Network

2 Likes

Your specs are higher than mine, and mine runs perfectly.

1 Like

Thanks for your thoughts all, I’ll have a think about all that has been said :+1:

I recently started using a 28” monitor (60 Hz refresh rate) which has a DVI port. Connecting this monitor to my RTX 3060 Ti by DVI cable allows a native screen resolution of 3840x2160. It seems to me that running this simulation with all that high end hardware ought be going into something with a little better screen resolution than 1080…

2 Likes

I think what Pieter means is that the Kolink Citadel Mesh RGB Micro-ATX Case is designed for Micro-ATX and Micro-ITX form factor motherboards.

You didn’t specify which Intel B760 motherboard. Some of them are ATX form factor. For example, the Intel PRO B760-P WIFI is an ATX form factor motherboard, while the Intel MAG B760M MORTAR WIFI II is a Micro-ATX motherboard.

You need a case designed for the motherboard form factor.
Typically, a case that can fit an ATX can also fit a Micro-ATX, but not vice versa.

2 Likes

Might be mistaken, but I’m of the impression that this is a pre-built system rather than list of components. That would also explain the ambuguity over the PSU.

1 Like

It is indeed a pre-built/built to order system :+1:

1 Like

I nicer monitor may well be in order eventually but I’ll be happy to get smooth running on ultra at 1080p for now :slightly_smiling_face:

That explains :slight_smile:

1 Like

That level of happiness should be immediate on a 1080p monitor with a new computer system like that. Keeping a larger and higher performance monitor on your wish list is the right thing to do. Good luck!

1 Like

I have a similar set up, and mine runs well at 4k, so at 1080, I would think yours would be great.

After I upgraded my PC though, I was a little disappointed how much the stutters, tearing, were all still there though until I realized they really don’t have anything to do with the hardware. This game is definitely not perfect and no matter how much we throw at it with horsepower, it still does not eliminate the bugs. There are plenty of people online that say they have the best hardware you can get, and they are still dealing with them.

So enjoy pushing up some of your graphics settings, but just don’t expect that it will get rid of those random 2 second pauses on final. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s generally not common to match a K-series CPU with a B-series motherboard. There’s certainly no issue with it, but you won’t be able to overclock the CPU. I’m assuming it wasn’t an option, but you could have saved a little bit by not opting for a K-series chip. Or you could have potentially paid a bit more for a Z-series motherboard and then do some light overclocking.

In the end, it probably won’t make much difference in overall performance.

3 Likes