New to Sim, Help Needed

I’m trying to run Flight Simulator on a PC and am completely lost. Last ran FS2000 and it was easy. Now, I can’t figure out the autopilot, or basics of using the sim at all. Where’s the Help key? Is there a pop-up that shows the key bindings, the joystick button assignments without exiting to the settings menu? I’m using a Thrustmaster 1600 on a high-end PC. The sim looks beautiful, but I can’t figure out all the controls. (I’m not sure I’m even posting correctly here)

Hello there, welcome aboard.
I’ve created a new topic for you here.
I suspect some of the community members will be able to give you lots of advice!

1 Like

There are a lot ( a lot ! ) of MSFS tutorials on YouTube. For example, Tutorial #1 - Getting Started - Microsoft Flight Simulator. I found this one by searching for “MSFS beginner”.

MSFS has many settings and users have many different hardware/software configurations, so there is no quick-start one-size-fits-all config. I have decades of experience with most consumer flight sims, and it was still a slog to get through all the settings and tweaks to get it operating optimally for my circumstances. But it has been well worth the effort; it’s an amazing product.

4 Likes

FederFlyer really hit the nail on the head. I too have years of flight sim experience and like he said, it took me a while to sort things out–and that was before Youtube videos. Do like he said–watch the videos and just stick with it. It is worth the effort.

1 Like

Welcome to MsFs 2020

Thanks for the link to the YouTube video. Just started watching and this looks like my level of understanding (near none).

On a slightly different topic, I’ve had a couple of crashes. There was a warning about not having the latest version of NVidia driver (535.79.0) when I start MSFS. Device manager says I have version 31.0.15.3161, which isn’t even close. When I search for new drivers, device manager says the best driver is already installed. My graphics card is an NVidia RTX 4070.

I’d check for new drivers on the nvidia website:

1 Like

As to video drivers many of us do not use the “LATEST” nvidia drivers as they can sometimes have issues. Save a back up of your current driver your using before downloading and installing a newer one. That way you can revert back if you experience issues with the newer one. There is also a proper way to install a new driver by removing the old one first. Google nvidia driver uninstall and you will find several one recommended is

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/geforce-graphics-cards/5/153647/how-to-properly-uninstall-the-nvidia-driver/3165844/

1 Like

Thanks for the link. I updated to version 546.33.

1 Like

Indeed…

I am staying with 537.67 until they pry it out of my cold dead hands.

How I install nVidia drivers:

1. Download Display Driver Uninstaller
  2. Boot Win11 into Safe Mode. (Google it, because it ain’t like it used to be.)
  3. Disconnect computer from internet. Run DDU.
  4. Boot Win11 into Normal Mode.
  5. Go to nVidia.com and find ‘Legacy Driver’ section. Download and install WHQL version 537.67. I install the full package, including GeForce Experience. You can choose not to.
  6. Reboot computer.
  7. Watch video detailing the nVidia Control Panel settings you should use.
2 Likes