New to this version of Flightsim have a few operational questions

Back in the day I was well versed in Flightsim X, before I got my PPL, so I have legacy sim experience, and great knowledge of my real world C172 and Avidyne IFD540, but not the Garmin legacy GPS models, much less some of the user settings in this flightsim.

1. When setting up a flight plan, I set weather to custom, overcast, with a ceiling below 1,000, say 800 feet AGL, to shoot some instrument approaches, yet when the flight commences the settings aren’t there. I have to pause, re-set them, and proceed. Am I missing something like a button to “confirm” my settings?

2. I can’t get the Garmin’s in the panel of the 172 (not the G1000 172 but the legacy one with the steam gauges) to intercept the localizer. I can in GPS mode and it gives me RNAV intercept but not the glideslope when trying to shoot an ILS approach. The buttons on the panel seem inop. I can’t even dial in the localizer frequency on the NAV radio, only the COM radio. Am I missing something? The frequency on the NAV radio is not the correct frequency in real life and I notice that most of the approach and tower frequencies for towers and TRACO for my area are wrong, maybe intentionally. Could that be an issue?

A couple sample flight that I am using in the New Orleans area are quick ones if you want to give it a whirl:

KASD to KNEW 18R ILS approach or
KHDC to KNEW 18R ILS approach

The simulated ATC only gives me vectors to final but it actual doesn’t vector me to WIPIB or BOGLY, it just says “maintain current heading” no matter what my current heading is.

Again, I know my Avidyne IFD540 well, but not familiar with legacy Garmins so maybe I am missing a step to couple the ILS. Also, are there any add on GPS that let me shoot LPV approaches in the C172?

Also, what is wrong with the trim? I have the trim assist turned off but every time I trim the plane it seems to go haywire and I am constantly trimming up and down. I am now trimming by throttle which seems to work better. I will say the sim C172 behaves nothing like a real world C172.

you have to get 3rd party aircraft if you want more realistic flight, just like it ws in fsx.
default are ok-ish but far from real.
way way better the justflight pipers.
also the sim right now has a ton of issues.

1 Like

Yes, free, puts icon on the menu bar at top of screen. Get the PMS-50-GRN-750 Nav add on. Comes with manual, included. You will love it, and no longer need World Map in Sim, and ATC is very broken, so don’t rely on that for correct procedures. Search for above, you will find it. There is pay and free, start out with free, and then later on decide if the 70 odd pounds for lifetime is worth it to you. I have spent way too much in this sim to date, so aint spending no more. Might get a Monster Tech Gaming Chair, but need new chair anyway, so dual purchase. Sorta want rudder pedals, it can wait. Was going to buy Alpha Control Yoke, but made in China, so passed on that, YOKO is just to expensive, the new one from ThrustMaster, school is still out on it. Reviews are nice, desk space, remember desk space.

1 Like

In the Marketplace the only avionics I see is the G1000.

Thank you, found it on their website. Did one quick flight with the free version. Once again could not activate the approach and it did not capture the localizer, so I think maybe either this plane or this airport has inop features. An ILS approach in a 172 has to be one on of the most commonly sought options, given its part of Aviation 101.

Dumb question, i know, but still worth asking.

Have you tried other airports? There have been some issues with the most recent navdata.

Not a dumb question, a good one. I have not yet. I am just getting familiarized with the sim. I will try others when I get back in town. Have you successfully flown ILS approaches with those Garmin 430’s and 530’s?

It s not in market place search web, you will find it. Free.

Yes. I also fly in real life.

The default simulations of avionics is also problem bugged. Trying to figure if your problem is nav data related or if it’s avionics related.

That being said, I shoot the ILS all the time in the sim.

At startup the knobs to change frequency are connected to th eCOM part of the GNS530, as can be seen on the display. To change to NAV press and hold LH mouse button on the inner com/vloc rotary knob (it turns yellow), then click RH mouse button. Then change the STBY NAV frequency (to 111.30 for KNEW 18R) and press V with up/down arrows to activate it.
Nothing wrong with KNEW 38R ILS. I flew the leg on AP corrrectly (also flew it on AP in the G3000 version without any issues).

Thank you. I could not figure out how to change the nav radio frequencies in the sim, only the com frequencies. Its a bit awkward, holding down left mouse while clicking right mouse. Also took me a while to manipulate the small knob for the decimal part of the frequency. Strangely, it intercepted the glideslope this time but not the localizer. I am not used to the GNS530, I have the Avidyne IFD540 in real life, so I might have inadvertently changed something in the flight plan, not being familiar with the menus, loading and activating approaches and whatnot. I will give it more of a go, but that was a big help just figuring out how to change the nav frequencies.

Ahh, glideslope and localizer both worked the second time.

So here’s another issue: The CDI, glideslope indicator and localizer do not appear in the G1000 during any of the IFR tutorials. Are there any graphics settings that might be interfering with this or could it be a glitch? They are present when flying a random IFR flight outside of the tutorials. My computer is a new build, so I don’t think its a resource issue:

Razen 5 5600X
GTX 3070ti
32GB DDR4 RAM