New update in the microsoft store, sim deletes itself

Thank God I bought the Steam version :grimacing:

4 Likes

So if I was on both the SU6 and Race beta teams and MSFS is installed on my C: default location, am I safe to use the sim yet?
Thnx

For those with the PMDG DC-6, I think a reinstall of this is needed because it stores some files in the folder that was wiped.

1 Like

I think it will get wiped, which was an expected impact of the SU6 beta, but maybe didn’t happen until now… I thinkl that’s what the post above means.

2 Likes

Were the packages installed in the WpSystem directory? If so, that still counts as a default installation path. I also used to have the simulator installed on a separate drive on my old PC, but inside the default WpSystem directory, and the packages ended up getting deleted after leaving both the Sim Update 4 and the Sim Update 5 betas.

Now I have the packages on a totally separate folder in my system drive, and I’ve been prompted to download the client again in the Microsoft Store, but so far the packages are still intact.

1 Like

@ChaoticSplendid Yes,it was. Thank you for that info! It’s a shame that the info wasn’t made clearer in the announcement.

2 Likes

I was in SU 6 beta only. Package folder was default but installation folder is in D:\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.20.6.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe. Time stamps on files and folders still shows 8. October which is a bit confusing. Version is 1.20.6.0. Everything has reverted back to vanilla, need to redownload WU files, etc. I guess I am back to square one for the first time since alpha.

Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately there was no way out of this situation, because files inside the WpSystem directory cannot be copied and backed-up. I learned this the hard way twice.

Now that you have to download all the packages again, you can install them in your separate drive again, but make sure they go anywhere else but the WpSystem directory. For example, X:\MSFS works great, and it should help avoid such issues in future beta tests.

3 Likes

Thank you and i’m lucky that i didn’t install it earlier now when i know that. Will install it in a different folder then. How do we install in different folder tha wpsystem? Or do we just drag the package folders into another folder and point the sim towards it?

2 Likes

If the files are installed in WpSystem, I believe there is no way to copy them out. The only way is to select a different folder when you are prompted to install the packages, it should be somewhere in the bottom of the installation manager after the splash screens.

2 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

@ChaoticSplendid Unfortunately, no way out of it re-installing back into the WpSystem folder this time as it is part of the way through. I will definitely look to installing to a different folder next time though. Thank you for your help.
Sorry @perrry I seemed to have replied to your post and not ChaoticSplendid

1 Like

Did it now, looks like it works fine :slight_smile: Thank you so much for the help :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I was in SU6 beta but I opt-out beta via xbox insider hub before end of beta and now I can play without problems :wink:

PRO TIP.
Do not, do not, do not install packages on disk C\users\username\appdata…\ or D,E,F,G,X… wpsystem folder.

How to move MSFS packages from disk/partition C to D,E,F,G ...

1 create new folder named MSFS 2020 on for e.g. D disk/partition
2 copy Official and Community folders from
C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages
and paste to D:\MSFS 2020
3 after that go to
C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache
4 in notepad open file named userconfig.opt
scroll down to the bottom and edit last line
e.g.
InstalledPackagesPath "C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages"

change
InstalledPackagesPath "C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages"

to for e.g.
InstalledPackagesPath "D:\MSFS 2020"

save changes

After that go to
C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\Official
delete all files and folders

Go to
C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\Community
Delete all files and folders

4 Likes

I did know i read this somewhere. That is real good if it’s already installed. To bad i didn’t do it. Now i have learned the hard way :rofl:

1 Like

So… Those who were not in any beta are safe to load up their sim? Is that the consensus?.

Microsoft should provide SU6 beta testers who experience this problem with a $25 marketplace credit to compensate for our time and inconvenience.

2 Likes

@TenPatrol *in Kaffee’s voice from A Few Good Men - ‘No one likes him very much!’ :laughing:

1 Like

I was in SU6 beta and I can play without any problems :wink:

Have you been able to do that? Under the default installation path I was unable to copy any packages out of that folder, it had to do with permissions and file ownership or something that I could not resolve even with the several workarounds I found online.