New Varjo Aero - Consumer VR Device

I wouldn’t rely on one source either. But I was talking about 100% resolution for both headsets – otherwise it’s a pointless comparison.

However, due to barrel distortion, 100% render resolution > panel resolution, and the ratio may be different for each headset. If I am understanding the Varjo live stream correctly, they are more efficient in this regard.

PS: Don’t take the “4 times clarity” literally, but clarity means more than pixel density; you also need to consider sweet spot, god rays, etc.

The price of the headset alone is ca. 1/3 of PPL(A) training. Add controllers, upgrade to decent PC with 3080Ti or 3090 to drive it at full potential and you will land at 2/3 of PPL(A) training. No VR headset will rival the real world…

1 Like

the higher the pixel/density, the less supersampling is necessary to look equivalent / better.
a 3080ti/3090 should be ok, the 2080ti/3080 with little lower settings also.

Also of interest:

In addition, its built-in eye tracking powers not just interaction and analytics, but also foveated rendering that further reduces compute requirements and enables a crystal clear resolution. The lower PC hardware requirements of Varjo Aero enable more scalable deployments and various multi-user experiences, including flight and racing simulations, enterprise training scenarios, design and creative use-cases, as well as delivering immersive experiences in showrooms, museums, and virtual arcades

1 Like

Unfortunately not with FS … And since A has little interest in working together with other companies, it will probably not work until there is a wmr consumer hmd with eye tracking. :frowning:

Another quote from that article:

*The new Varjo Aero headset turbocharges the high-quality graphics and authentic immersion of Microsoft Flight Simulator. Our community of passionate flyers just unlocked access to the leading visual fidelity experience on the market. Varjo Aero and Microsoft Flight Simulator are a powerful combination for ambitious aviators everywhere.” – Jorg Neumann, Head of Microsoft Flight Simulator, *Microsoft

Perhaps gives a little hope…

2 Likes

Not to mention that the launch event may as well have been a co-advertisement for the Aero and MSFS VR.

MSFS is featured in their short promo video.

MSFS is featured in that one of two industry “influencers” they chose to feature reviews from during the launch event was none other than VRFlightSimGuy

They literally end the broadcast by jumping into their motion sim platform on stage and play MSFS.

1 Like

Im not certain, but i have a pimax that works fine without valve base stations/controllers (which it is intended to be used with, like the varjo). You could contact varjo and ask them, or try asking one of the youtubers who have the hmd.

But then you must pay flying itself. How much you fly in sim in 3 years? How much this amount of IRL flying hours would cost? You must count average price of flying hour. Not how much Aero or airplane would cost. I think you will get about 20 h of IRL flying what aero cost.

Of course you could choose VR flying and UPL flying both. In club near me flight hour of Icarus would cost only 85 euros (after license). It is time you are flying, not taxing.

2 Likes

There’s always flying r/c model planes, which you can now do in First Person View through head tracking cameras on the plane, wearing FPV goggles on the ground. I’ve flown model planes since I was a kid, but FPV in the last ten years has made it way more fun. Like VR, you are “in” the plane, except it’s not a sim, it’s a real plane, albeit usually a pretty small one. We have super accurate variometers, HUDS with all the instruments, even auto pilots, it’s amazing. The crashes are real though, except you walk towards them instead of staggering away, lol. Costs are comparable to a mid level dedicated PC for VR simming.

Flying an electric powered 3 metre glider in FPV is to me almost as good as flying a full scale sailplane, as I could only ever afford to hang around waiting to share a club glider or rent one, as they are eye wateringly expensive to own.

Mind you, VR gliding now in MSFS anywhere in the world is just fantastic relaxation for me, even if thermals are not yet a native part of the sim (I mostly do ridge soaring in MSFS at present). The free electric AS 33 ME is like owning the new quarter million dollar full scale sailplane.

I

1 Like

I used to do FPV quite a lot, many years ago now built a nice eurofighter with HUD and working cockpit with animated pilot etc… was a lot of fun and certainly gets the adrenaline going more than a flight sim.

That said, not sure they are entirely comparable - both have their appeal for different reasons! Best to do both and also fly for real :rofl:

1 Like

and Varjo is the first VR headset approved by EASA, and prob soon FAA to log flight hours. Plus for learning/training, the gas is much cheaper, and better for the environment. :slightly_smiling_face:

Flight Simulation in VR: First EASA Qualified Virtual Reality Simulator (varjo.com)

But not Varjo about which is this topic. XR3 is more expensive and require subscription.

Thanks for the tip! I had no idea an electric sailplane existed for MSFS. If you’re ever in the Louisville, KY, USA area and are an AMA member, come fly RC sailplanes with our club, the Louisville Area Soaring Society!

No, Varjo Aero is also EASA qualified.

1 Like

They said Aero is approved in the launch video.

Worth pointing out that you can’t just plug it into MSFS and start logging hours though…

3 Likes

@ImXLXL @N432BC Then they should update website :wink:

Glad to be of help. There’s also a free software package called Kinetic Assistant that can create thermals in MSFS, as well as other glidery things, like calling up a tow plane or connecting you to a winch.

As for the AS 33 Me, there are a number of YouTube videos by one of the devs, Ian Lewis, that run you through the flight computer and show how to set up and fly tasks in the Swiss Alps.

Thanks for the invite to your cub. I’m a gold wing rated pilot with the MAAA (Model Aeronautical Association of Australia) you’d be most welcome to fly at any of our clubs down under. :grinning:

Wow sounds like RC Aircraft has come quite a ways since I was heavily involved back in the late 80’s and early 90’s. I flew in many Pattern competitions at that time.
Ended up basically burning myself out after around 10 years and never went back to it.
Now I am all about just flight sims in VR in the comfort of my home.

1 Like