New York Disaster

Bing data turning itself off is sadly a known issue. Afaik the root cause is unknown - some experience this problem after updates, others not.

The update one is strange.

However, one known issue is if you lose internet or connection to Bing servers during a flight for whatever reason, it will switch the service off.

1 Like

Sarcasm is dead

1 Like

Now that you mentioned it, while I was flying i got the message that there was no internet and I pressed OK, so I supposed the sim switched the Bing connection OFF. Never knew that.

2 Likes

Yup. That will be what caused it, and not the update.

Is this switch off permanent (for everyone)? When the servers went down after World Update 3, I also got this message but I think I did not have to switch it on again manually - but not quite sure…

No. Photogrammetry is working fine for me.

Lots of people have had it happen after an update (World/Sim). I’ve never had the issue personally. No idea why it affects some configs but not others.

Do you have photogrammetry and bing workd data turned on?

As a retired Network Engineer, I couldn’t agree with you more!

I love the title of this post. NEW YORK DISASTER!! Made me laugh out loud! I hope this gets fixed. hahaha

1 Like

Yes you are right. I was meaning to say “Disaster after the update”… lol

1 Like

Shall I then leave the ROLLING CACHE ON after the update? My limit is set to 10GB. Is that OK?

Some users report rolling cache helps. Others report it as causing stutters and poor photogrammetry performance. I myself am in that latter group.

I’d recommend you try it in a photogrammetry area with it both ways, and choose which one works best for you vs taking someone else’s advice to turn it on or off.

In theory, if you have fast internet and no data caps, it shouldn’t matter either way.

I’ve had that happen once. It took me a bit to realize things looked wrong, and I discovered that this is exactly what happened. I’ve not had an update cause it yet tho.

My internet speed is 20Mb/s. Is this OK to have it ON?

You’re on the lower end, but SHOULD be ok. But like I said - try it out for yourself. Fly over a PG area with it on, and off. See what looks and performs best. Don’t let anyone tell you definitively how to do it one way or another. Find what works for you and use that setting.

OK I will try that. Thanks

It is okay if you only want to spend 10 GB :wink:

For comparison: the entire world takes over 200 PETAbyte. So now you get an idea how much data you can cache :wink:

I think I put mine to 30 GB or so. In the end it all boils down to how large your disk is.

My disk is bigger than your disk :slight_smile: