Next Level Racing Motion Platform V3 and VR

Just my 2 cents… I’ve built a budget DIY 2DOF motion platform. It’s still not completely finished but it’s working already. Materials cost is just around $350 and it’s not a seat mover, but a full-blown rig.
I was worried about motion compensation too, because as far as I know no good solution exists for WMR OpenXR (which MSFS is using) - just for SteamVR, which is not as good with MSFS / G2.
It’s a modest rig, but the movement is not small - I had to limit the roll because I felt like I was going to fall from my seat, and had to grab yoke hard to stay put, which was a bit too much. So the movement now is definitely wide enough - it feels really wild in MSFS if I make strong control movements. And it feels very natural - I have no desire for motion compensation in the wildest maneuvres. It surprised me, actually. But any head movements are “masked” by the G-forces that would have caused your head to bob around, in pretty much the same way.

So far I spent maybe around 4 hours with this rig in VR, adjusting the software etc. - I had no problem with simconnect or anything else. I use Arduino with SMC3 firmware + 2 IBT2 drivers on the hardware side, and I programmed a profile from scratch with FlyPT Mover soft on the PC side. I feed about 70% of the range with roll and pitch position, plus mix in pitch and roll speed (washed out with filters) to add additional motion cues, and mixed in surge to pitch so I really feel acceleration and breaking. Even mixed in a bit of yaw to the roll. I also feed 2 DIY “butt kickers” in stereo, bolted to the chair.

I think mixing in those things is what makes th novement feel “great”

I have to say it feels great, without motion compensation. So you don’t have to spend a lot to get a decent motion patform.

Here’s how it looks (work in progress, not fully complete yet):

2 Likes

Yes, the importance of motion compensation is low. It’s barely noticeable on/off and you have to be focusing hard to see the difference.

1 Like

I guess it’s critical for 360 degrees yaw platform, like Yaw VR 2 with optional yaw base. That’s like $3000+ - I’m not spending this much on a toy :-). And twisted VR cable is very probable. Maybe for military sims it could be better to have super-large range of motion, but from what I feel my rig has more than enough - anything 0 to 30 degrees of roll and pitch feels very natural, more pitch or roll still feels OK with motion cues, and normally you don’t do much more anyway, and with those I don’t feel any motion compensation is needed. I was planning to add a third motor for yaw/traction loss, but not even sure I want it. If I do - that one will be a “seat mover” so only the seat will rotate so the back will slide left or right while yoke and pedals will stay put. That one would actually benefit from being a “seat mover” axis, while roll and pitch are better to be full motion.

I completed my project (that is, until I decide to add a third motor to it): It works great so far.
Here it is, with a detailed video - demo flight, hardware and software walkthrough and everything. Design and build photos too: My DIY 2DOF Motion Platform for MSFS - adding a whole new immersion level to VR, on a budget - VIDEO

3 Likes

I have been using the NLR V3 for a year now and it works smoothly without issue. I had to do some DIY to get my Ubutto seat to fit. If you want a seamless setup, pair the platform with a NLR seat. Its pretty quiet and has a small footprint, but make sure to get some seat beats as it can still throw you around.

2 Likes

Ok, so I got the wife approval and ordered a v3 motion platform to use with my sim rig (MSFS and auto racing)….will report back in a week or so when it’s here and set up.

2 Likes

you’ll love it! there will always be haters that can do it for 1/4 the price. I am a big fan of NLR after trying out and owning a variety of motion rigs and seat movers. I now own a NLR Motion v3 and Traction Plus system and it is by far the most compact (space deficient room), quietest (wife with bionic hearing) and (once your brain is tuned in) the most realistic ‘feel’ I have come across.

I notice the problem with motion comp from the outset and informed support. They have worked a profile around it and IMHO it’s seldom needed in Flight or Racing sims with the NLR kit, a quick occaisional press of the reset HMD position and you are good to go and central again if you have adrifted a few inches in the headset.

I’m half way through a review but keep changing peripherals as I go so am having to redo it over and over… I’ll get there and push it out before Xmas though.

2 Likes

Hi, I´m waiting for my V3 to arrive in the next few days. Is it possible for you to share this tweaking of the settings on the MSFS profile?

Cheers
Carlos

1 Like

Could you please forward me the materials/PowerPoint you used for the approval

5 Likes

As requested, here’s my settings. I am by absolutely no means an expert at this stuff, if you find better settings, then please share them also! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks mate!

Just ordered my Next Level Motion Platform V3 now. I’m going to use it with the Next Level GT Track chair. Hopefully I will have everything up and running by the weekend, and I’ll post my impressions after that :slight_smile:

Was thinking about going down the DOF route, but no one sells them in Norway, and with such an advanced product I don’t want the troubles with shipping something so big back to Canada if there’s any problems, or where ever they are making them. Also, I’m a bit short on space in the room I have my setup. And, I already have a GT Track chair/cockpit here so, ordered from the same dealer I now ordered my Motion Platform V3 from… hopefully it will be fun. Primary use will probably be racing. But, can’t wait to check it out in flight sims too. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You will love it! I’ve had my NLR setup (just like yours with the gttrack and v3) for a week or two and it’s fantastic in auto racing and in MSFS. It takes some dialing in on the level of reactions but but the basic profiles from NLR in their software are a great starting point. The only thing I really turned down was the overall force of reaction on the v3 platform for auto racing (set to 50% and not the default 100%). For MSFS I just left it at default settings.

3 Likes

Be sure to consider getting a buttkicker 2 as well…it’s great to feel the rumble of the engine and the bumps on the runway and large thump when you land. It needs some additional software to run the buttkicker but it’s not expensive and once it’s tuned correctly it’s a nice immersion increase and worth the price in my view. See the posts in this section for how to integrate that with the Simshaker software that runs the buttkicker (it’s far more customizable than running the buttkicker using the NLR software that runs the motion platform). If you get the BK and need help just post up here or send me a message if you need help.

1 Like

Well, just got mine on monday and I´ve been testing it since then. I just landed in Lugano after a short VFR from Sion under a full moon over the Alps and was one of the most memorable flights I`ve ever made. . It was windy (over 40 knots) and the V3 responded pretty well to the turbulences. The feeling of phisically banking, pitching, landing etc is awesome. Even better if you fly on VR.
From now on I don´t see myself simming without it, so it better be hardwearing.
@tempestornado23 Glad to see you got yours and you´re happy with it. I´m tempted to get the buttkicker as well (need to feel the engines) but bought the NLR Stand DD (2.0 has been launched today, I have good aim :sweat:), the GTSeat Addon and the V3 in less than a month so I´ll try to save a little before getting it.

Cheers

Carlos

3 Likes

The buttkicker will add almost as much immersion as the seat mover

1 Like

Reading the good reviews about it, I´ll get one for sure, but i´ll wait for the black friday to see if I can get one with a good price.

Ha - I just ordered a Buttkicker … got too disappointed in not feeling anything from those big radials on the DC6!

1 Like

I am glad that you got it. I only fly without it if I am flying in a hurricane or weather like that. I get tossed around to much.
Other than that I always use mine. I love it, enjoy.
I also use VR. Now if you hit a air pocket you will no right away. LOL

1 Like

Oh stop it, I need to wait till black friday :laughing:

@RainyBird43360 Thanks! Absolutely! The flight over the alps was amazing because of that (and many more things)

1 Like