No switching to VR mode Oculus Quest 2

HI - bit of a newbie to all this… I have gaming PC and having the exact same issues…
If I install steam and then Steam VR (think I can do this) how do I change a registry key - no idea where to even start on that…
Does it all then work sit should do ?
I am running MSFS off the standard desktop version…

As a reminder, according to the Code of Conduct English is the official language of the MSFS forums, must be used in all categories except for #multiplayer.

1 Like

Same problem as Fatboygolf. Please help. Seems I am not the only one.

Same problem as dadasuper4490 and Fatboygolf but on HTC Vive. Sim just crashes to desktop when switching to VR. I’ve ended up putting most my holiday working on this since Christmas Day, 5 days later I’ve managed 2 small flights before CTD.

I’ve tried to be positive from the outset but 5 days later and still no hotfix for an entirely game breaking bug? At this point its a case of putting the game down and coming back to it in a few months when hopefully a fix has been released. MS will have to wait till after Covid for me to drop £600 on a HP Reverb if that all its going to support out of the box.

Hi Hester,
I made an English abstract to cope with Code of Conduct :smile:

Hi Fatboygolf

I play FS2020 with Oculus Quest 2.
I have installed Virtual Desktop on headset and Virtual desktop patch from Sidequest.
On PC I have installed Streamer App from https://www.vrdesktop.net, Steam and Steam VR and didn’t make any change in registry.
I just had to define keyboard’s keys in FS 2020 to change pc to VR and some other VR option because there were none.
My way to play FS 2020 in VR is :

• launch Streamer App on PC
  • Turn Headset on, and launch virtual desktop (Headset connected on pc via wi-fi)
  • launch Steam and Then Steam VR.
    Then headset must be recognized by Steam VR
  • launch FS 2020
  • Turn to VR and enjoy.

??? :hushed:

Thanks for this - and does this work if not playing the game on Steam ? I have it installed as the standard bought game from Microsoft…

Yes it works. I bought a stand alone FS 2020 and I launch it directly

What should the registry say? Just to make sure it’s set correctly? Thanks

And shall we install from steam oculus wired or wireless?

Dans HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Khronos\OpenXR\1

Active Runtime :
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\steamxr_win64.json

I didn’t modify it. I suppose that it has been modified by Steam VR

Thank you!

Same problem , link cable OK, just see flt sim in a large curved screen TV.
I do not have the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Khronos\OpenXR\1
I have only:-
Khronos OpenCL
Khronos Vulkan
Using MSFS Microsoft Store Version.
Quest 2 VR headset with Beta and 10 recent updates.
So how do you get the OpenXR to install ?
Thanks

How do you download it ?

At last I can get from just seeing a curved large TV in a room viewing my PC Desktop to getting dual images left and right on the screen so that is progress I think.
Running MSFS from Microsoft Store not Steam.
Oculus Quest 2 with a confirmed compatible cable 2.1GBps and USB3.
Changed the setting in Oculus App to accept Experimental Programs.
I had no OpenXr in the registry settings as mentioned previously.
If you are the same situation go to the Windows Store and download Windows Mixed Reality OpenXR Runtime and the installation status may say it is not installed.
Click install ( it may be a delay before it starts I tried about 3 times)
Reboot and go look at the Regedit settings and change to the suggested location in other posts.
Open your Oculus App and confirm the Link is enabled .
I now have twin screens at last on my PC.
At present can’t run any further as a message displays saying VR Camera Reset is needed and that doesnt allow me to activate that because of the warning message and no key is assigned to that function .
Will keep trying but it is looking hopeful.
It is definitely not plug and play in my case.
GeForce GTX 1060 6GB, Intel i7, 16GB Ram. Oculus Quest 2, Link Cable
Update…
Turned all the Oculus App and Headset off and went back into a non VR situation.
Found that in settings no keys were assigned to VR at all so with difficulty entered some F11, F12, centre mouse click .
Started it all after a reboot and at last got into the cockpit in VR by middle click on mouse and reset camera position F12.
The cockpit seems about two thirds full size ( I have a PPL so used to Cessna cockpit) very odd but realistic.
The graphics are not brilliant but certainly seems more realistic I think my card spec GTX 1060 is a bit low so fair enough.

2 Likes

I was having problems too where I had to install steam and steam vr. This plus the oculus app was taking too much GPU ,(2080 to).
I uninstalled all, steam vr steam, oculus, open xr and Microsoft reality app. Restarted computer, installed open xr for developer tools, installed oculus app. Checked open xr and key was set. Had to install open xr itself and it never changed the reg hey which was good. Made sure the oculus app was switche to the beta and downloaded the 10 updates. Fired up msfs, started a flight and switched to vr, all worked fine. No extra overhead from steam and steam vr. Oculus cable is being used.

dadasuper4490, have you managed to get into the VR cockpit yet.?
I had the exact same problem as you just looking at a full sized curved TV screen with the same headset as you.
I opened the Oculus app this morning and it offered a Beta Update.
At the same time I installed the OpenXR from the Windows Store.
I don’t know which one fixed it but I suddenly got a split screen view so not sure which action fixed it ?
I had no key bindings to any VR actions so put some in and it worked.
The quality is a bit disappointing compared to my PC Monitor but as VR is a free addition it is OK.

Thank you so much I am on a trip right now so I haven’t tried again but I will and I will follow your instructions hopefully will work, thank you so much for the follow up

How did you installed open xr my friend?