No Update to 1.18.15.0 available in MS-Store

You mean a button like this?

Much of the difficulty encountered this time around has been the result of folks not having the latest XBox app installed. The XBox Gaming software has always been required for authentication. It has just been superceded. If you keep your system up to date, these “surprises” rarely happen.

In fairness, it is not the responsibility of MS, Asobo or any other developer to remind users to maintain their computers in a responsible manner.

MSFS always has been and always will be an XBox title. That is the MS game division.
The XBox app is just the latest software ‘UPDATE’ to the pre existing gaming software that is no longer required.
To be able to access any software that is licenced to your XBox game account you will need the XBox app for authentication.

It has everything to do with updates. Had the XBox App been updated, as many of us had already done, the issue would not have appeared. The update would have shown in the game store just as it did before.

Like I said. No other title I have ever used in the last 30 years has had such a circuitous updating process. Everything else just automatically updates when you hit play, especially if you access via Steam as I do. The process you describe harks back to the days of MSDOS. Thank you for explaining it.

4 Likes

I am at a loss as to what defines circuitous.

• Open the MS Store
  • Go to the ‘Downloads/Updates’ page.
  • Click ‘Get Updates’
  • Open the sim and allow the additional content download
  • Open Content Manager and download any optional content.
  • Go fly

The fact that the loader portion needs to be updated outside the sim is not uncommon. I also appreciate that I am not forced to download WU files that I don’t want.

Sorry, seems pretty straight forward to me.

Indeed this is what I expected but it wasn’t what I got and I had run all updates prior including this XBox app. (It did update finally and seems that automatically occurred to my confused yet relieved surprise). At the end of the day, it’s done but it was not a good experience and I for one hope not to have to deal with repeatedly in future updates! Microsoft, please just make this update an automated operation without any of this MS Store step . It’s just unnecessary. Keep the experience as a ‘one press’ (Start sim) out of the box (ALL updates auto occur) experience! S!

Had the same ■■■■■■ experience trying to find the update in Microsoft Store. Seems every update turns into a 3 day clown show trying to return the game to pre-update status. If any other software company is monitoring these forums, please jump in and start a rival flight sim program. I can’t wait to leave Microsoft/Asobo in the rearview mirror.

1 Like

Same here. Nothing works. It’s an absolute disgrace how updates are deployed. Hey MS how about asking if I want to download the update right in the app when it launches and then download the ■■■■ update? That would be to easy and intuitive. God awful interface in the MS Store. I don’t think I’ve had one positive experience updating FS since it’s been released. So now I’m out of commission until I figure out this F’d up mess

Same issue for me, I needed to install xbox app from store and run it first (see video) now it’s downloading ok https://youtu.be/44F_zdRYK1M

Installing the Xbox App was enough to resolve MS Store not finding an update. As soon as it was installed I checked for updates again and it started downloading.

Hope this helps everyone else out!

Thank you! It worked!

1 Like

Great info, this was tearing my hair out, worked superb. …… Many thanks. ……

This is becoming a pathetic drama. How hard do you have to try and make your updates so difficult that you have to download other “apps” to get them to work?

I was just successful at fixing it by going to “add or remove programs” and running a repair on msfs 2020, then the option to update came up in my microsoft store.

I did previously reinstall xbox app following advice on this page but that didn’t fix it by itself

tysm! This worked first time! Actually, I was able to do the update from within the XBOX App itself instead of having to switch back to the store. Either way, thank you!

Worked for me, thanks for the info.

I’m freaking tired with “Microsoft install simulator”…

Thanks, that worked for me!

1 Like

Is the Xbox requirement new?

Great, install an app i don’t want, to update the app i do want.

who comes up with this stuff.

Call me grumpy, but if I wanted an X-box I would have bought one.

It has nothing to do with the xbox console. See this post and thread. Loads of people getting completely unnecessarily upset about this.

It is listed as a workaround, so I don’t think it’s a requirement at all

You did. The MS game division IS XBox. That is why you have to log in to MSFS with your XBox game account.