[BUG LOGGED] No wind gusts for Live Weather, broken for both PC and Xbox

Very cool. Like expected. Day and night between the IRL video and the sim, which pretty much flies as if on rails. Not even close to realistic.

4 Likes

It seems to me that many people on the forum and in developement do not have a realistic idea how wind, gusty or otherwise, acts on an an airframe. The effects of wind and turbulence result in very different effects on an aeroplane whether it is on the ground, close to the ground or at a “flying hight”…Just ask a glider pilot.
When an aircraft is airborne it is flying in a moving column of air and this varies its speed and direction relative to a point on the ground …not a place in the air. A pilot varies the aircraft heading to maintain a desired track over the ground and its speed over the ground (groundspeed) changes according to wind speed and direction.Turbulent air does affect an airframe to a degree and varies according to the conditions that caused it. The most common causes are thermals (columns of turbulent air) which affect an en-route aircraft in a transitory manner and ground affect turbulence which is quite different. Ground effect turbulence happens as wind is stirred up as it flows over rising and falling groud. Obviously the stronger the wind and the more variable the topography the stronger the turbulence and it reduces with hight. GA pilots are usually not masochists and fly higher where the air is smoother to further their occupants comfort and minimise stress on the aeroplane.The effects on different aircraft (gliders, light aircraft, heavy aircraft) are infinitely variable as is the atmosphere. I am not sure whether a computer program can realistically reflect wind and turbulence effects, but this I do know. In my real world flying days high winds and rough air could be, and have been deadly, for others thankfully. I was trained to assess the conditions and judge when the conditions were flyable or whether it was wiser to stay on the ground. Flying is not a game, a reckless decision can kill you. I fly a computer now and I fly a Sim for fun, so personally, I make sure the weather conditions are good on the Sim too.
Anecdotes :-
“There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots. There are not many old, bold pilots”
" In a contest between an aeroplane and the ground…the ground has never come second "
by an Old Pilot

5 Likes

Yes. And my intention as a IRL pilot, as well as some of the posters here, is to create awareness that real life turbulence is much much more severe even at already lower wind speeds eg as seen in the video examples or the many YouTubes which exists.

It is simply highly unrealistic to fly through thunderstorms or even hurricanes with GA aircraft as some have demonstrated here in the sim with hurricane Ida.

However I understand the fascination of doing so and I don’t want to convince people of not doing it. Therefore it would be nice to also have a switch to eg switch between “Realistic” / “Easy” weather/turbulence conditions.

I agree that it is probably hard to simulate the highly complex wind systems. However eg Condor has shown already several years ago, that one can do a much better job at it as opposed to what MSFS currently does. And this is the least I expect from Asobo.

5 Likes

I agree with you that others have done a better job with weather simulation and MSOBO should be able to do so too. I have never heard of Condor myself , but I use Hi-Fi systems Active Sky on my old sim which I have found good eneugh for my purposes (Airline flying) and nicely adjustable.

1 Like

Condor is a gliding simulator already a few years old and even competitions are held in it of people which also fly gliders IRL.

Sure MSFS outshines them in graphics (although graphics are not bad in Condor) but MSFS is far behind the weather/turbulence/lift and thermal model in comparison with Condor atm.

1 Like

Don’t forget that the surface wind is 1/2 of what you set in the settings.

3 Likes

Yes i know of that bug and i have voted on it. I wrote about that in the post above the test i did. It needs a fix too. That has been wrong since release of the sim. It doesn’t matter because the gusts are not working over the runway. Try it yourself with wind set to double if you want to. The turbulence over trees or objects will be higher though because the wind over ground are set to double the real value. Set the value to 32kts Gust48 it will be 32kts over ground and 16kts on ground if you want to test it. The gusts not working properly as you know by now. Gusts should be around 24kts too if that is 50% on ground too . I can show that too if you want to? I will post the test later though.

1 Like

We just need to keep this thread alive haha. Actually, the weather was screwed up from the start. I just hope they will fix it not paying attention to those who think atmosphere is a calm place.

2 Likes

Thank you! Sums it up very well.

1 Like

Tested again with winds 32kts and gusts 48kts. What do you think? Now it’s more obvious it’s not working over the runway in my opinion. There is turbulence over objects and mountains and stuff like that never gusts in open fields like runways. Now i leave the testing for the devs :slight_smile: I think i’ve done what i can to prove this is broken in custom weather and live weather.

I’m so dissapointed in this i can tell you. I want an explanation why gusts is broken. The only feedback we have got is that Jayne gave them information about the issue early in this topic.

Now what?
Who do we get an answere from?
Waiting for a Q&A wich has been postponed until when?
Are we sure they ask this question? No we are not.

We thought this was fixed in su5 (Performance increase) We waited for the fix that never came then we hoped for the fix in wu6 (new graphics settings) but no. Now i waiting for it in SU6&7 and hoping that will be a stop of this waiting and speculation.

Can’t we get an answere that you confirmed that it’s broken and will fix it asap? Because it’s broken, we are 123 votes in this issue-topic that confirms it’s broken and waiting for a fix.

3 Likes

I would not fly that plane in those wind conditions IRL. And I have flown and still fly in mountains in foehn/mistral conditions. But my nerves have decreased and my sense of risk has increased with over time.

Also consider that doubling the wind speed in this test vs the wind speed from the video also quadruples the energy which is supposed to be exuded onto the aircraft. But it still behaves in the sim like a nice and cozy Sunday afternoon ride.

Thanks for your demos but don’t work yourself into a frenzy. They might or might not do something…. and at least they stated they are working on a new improved weather model. Even if this is of little consolation having to watch something what my many flying hours tell me is so far from being realistic and just gives many newcomers such a wrong impression of flying.

3 Likes

The thing is that when the sim got released i was so hyped for the aerodynamics they advertised. Never thought that simulation was possible to achive for us. I was more hyped for that than the graphics. I’m not a real pilot but those gusts (realistic or not) made it feel like i flying for real. When it got broken i instantly felt something was wrong with it. And now i’m working to get the feature back that made the flightsim feel unpredicted and real. Because i think the wind is unpredicted IRL too because we can’t know for sure when a gust will come. Maybe i’m wrong here, you real pilots maybe can tell instantly when a gust comes? As it is now the only thing that changes the wind is objects that we can see (Amazing that is simulated). And that make it so predicted. This one and only feature made the whole sim broken for me. I feel that something is missing everytime i start a flight.

3 Likes

For example with videos like this they created expectations which are currently not being fulfilled.

To see this would already be a great start.

3 Likes

Yes that i’ve voted on too. Can’t believe they limmit things in a sim, i’m starting to believe gusts also are limmited without they mentioning it because of this silence.

edit: Oh sorry i thought you linked the wishlist thread :rofl: I still think it’s bad to limmit things in a simulator. I know those aerodynamic videos was cool. Hope they can fulfill them some time though.

1 Like

No you are not wrong regarding the predictability of wind gusts. Yes of course with experience and flying in the same terrain again and again you can anticipate turbulence emanating from objects/terrain … but not necessarily the actual impact or if it tries to flip you left or right.

Thinking one could do so still kills pilots on a regular base.

A former head of aviation metrology of an European country who is also a passionate pilot and has studied wind systems all his live. He says he is still surprised and has respect of certain wind conditions and stays within the safety margins or stays on the ground.

2 Likes

I can’t understand that someone complains it’s to rough because i think everybody knows in someway how dangerous winds can be especially on the groundlevel where there is other objects that destroys because of the winds and the gusts that are more dangerous with the increase of windspeed. I think they would imagine how dangerous it would be to fly in a plane in those conditions. Here in sweden we can get wind gusts from hurricane Ida as an example. How can we predict/simulate those that are formed far away from the location we flying?

1 Like

Absolutely.

BTW. Did I asked this before or did you try already to combine the votes of this thread with the votes from Thermal and Turbulence thread. I think both threads pursuing the same objective of a “realistic “ wind and atmospheric model. Would push the topic to over 500.

2 Likes

This is not my topic. I just want it back as much as he who has started this topic i guess. Maybe he will combine them. For me i see it like this, thermals was limmited at release. This gust feature was in the sim at release therefore i think this is more important than thermals. I think it can make it ignored in the end and i think we get the thermals with the gliders next year. I don’t want to wait that long to get gusts back that we had from release and should have right now if it’s not got broken. Thats my point of view.

It’s up to the topic starter to decide how he want it to be.

3 Likes

Ah yes. Sorry I overlooked that you are not the actual OP.

As for what comes first. … this thread has some 120 votes and the Thermal thread some 380. So if the number of votes is any indication at all of what comes first (which I seriously doubt at times ) than the thermal / turbulence topic is first either way.

1 Like

the thing is prior to june it was exactly like FSX in fs2020 that is if you wanted normal wind use the normal live weather and the weather doesnt get too extreme unless the specific area in the real world is going crazy. but YOU COULD manually crank up the winds and gusts to ridiculously levels for your own expriments or own use bu t after june it doesnt work any more in fs 2020 thats why its … irritating . priorr to june you could still fly normally with low safe wins if you wanted to but t least the choice for gusts is there…

1 Like