Non Stop CTDs After SU8

SU8 has certainly spiked CTDs for me, during finals or taxiing after landing (both after long flights only). To the effect that I’ve removed almost all mods (freeware or not) in a futile effort to isolate the one(s) that do the damage. Once again instead of flying, I’m being the beta tester.

I’ve even had vcruntime140 errors that I hadn’t seen for more than a year, obviously without changing anything in the PC. This will quickly turn into yet another thread where those without CTDs will start blaming the end users and will be very quick to jump in and defend Asobo, offering very little useful feedback anyway.

We’re still 1.5 years after release in a software title that we knew from the very beginning that would be ULTRA-DEPENDENT on 3rd party mods, yet it can still crash because of a single faulty livery (which perhaps was working up until SU7 but now doesn’t work with SU8). Or because there’s non-existent sandboxing to protect the core sim from badly written mods or mods that simply stopped working due to undocumented Asobo changes (has already happened).

Not to mention we still don’t have a meaningful debugger or dump tool to somehow figure out what was it that broke the sim. Most of the CTDs are simply 0x…05 errors of core .exe. Good luck finding it out what it was when you have 100GB of mods in your community folder. Happy debugging, all. It’s the same sad story after every single update.

I didn’t have any issues with CTDs after SU8. However, there was a small update the next day, around 250Kb, and after I installed it, the sim crashes and doesn’t even make it halfway through the loading screen. I haven’t been able to get to the main menu in a week. I have posted in the CTD forum with the event viewer information from Windows but other than a few people posting they are experiencing the same thing, there has not been any assistance or posts since the first day.
Here is the link to the other post:
CTD during startup of MSFS after update to SU8 - Bug Reports / CTDs - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

That small update was probably the latest navdata AIRACs? It shouldn’t be crashing MSFS but stranger things have happened with this game.

because there are so many different mods - even more than one that modify exactly the same thing - it isn’t informative or helpful to say ‘all my mods are enabled and I have no CTD’…as it can come down to one specific line within the mod that is conflicting with an update.

The little most recent update was to navdata and so, for instance, if you have a VOR mod or similar that could easily cause CTD’s that you weren’t experiencing after the SU8 main update.

The best way to check Sim Updates for problems is to rename or remove the files from your community folder.

Folks who say ‘I have no mods’ - really? no repaints, nothing at all? because anything that isn’t default MSFS content has potential to cause conflicts

I’ll make it short apple user head always needed a windows laptop when Xbox version came out got Xbox. I’ve spent tooooo much money on payware. I get ctd at least every other try. In my own opinion it’s the DLC because one item ctd right from the loading screen and I had to reinstall everything. I love it but it’s a mess.

FBW experimental - that’s your issue. Had several myself.

2 Likes

I’ve had several CTD’s and one freeze-up that forced me to power off the PC to recover.

Am running unmodified 1.23.12.0, premium deluxe. Have found in the past that it’s best practice after loading every mandatory update to verify the settings for a favorite aircraft, returning settings to those desired, saving them, then restarting FS BEFORE flying it.

This time stability seemed to have at-least-temporarily returned after setting General Options / Camera / Instruments / Instrument View Selection/ to “Manual”. This setting prevents mouse movements from going spastic when the mouse nears a screen border.

So, if I’m able to actually land in the next half hour (without a CTD) I’ll consider it a success.

1 Like

I am getting occasional CTD. Never had a single one before SU8.
The thread I started 2 days ago got highjacked by the moderators and renamed by them… I can tell you that the very next time I tried to boot the game it stuck again at the loading screen. They of course blamed it on everybody else. Now I get to spend an extra 20minutes to get the sim running. My solution that has worked so far is to delete the nvidia drivers in the device manager. Then reboot the pc to make sure they are gone. Then reload the nvidia drivers. And yes they are the newest ones. I then leave the pc running the game the the rest of the day till I know I am not going to fly another session.
Tomorrow start it all over again.

I’m at the point I can’t get airborne without a CTD. Community folder empty.

I see 2 options. Reinstall or wait for SU9.

Update 3/19/22 after trying all the suggestions I could find, Thank you to all in the community for sharing your thoughts. I have decided to reinstall and see what happens.

If that doesn’t work, probably going to have to wait for SU9. Just can’t keep wasting time on this anymore.

Update 3/20/22 I reinstalled and sim works spectacular. I restored the Community folder as it was, reinstalled misc apps, loaded P2A, LNM, and Rex Weather. I left the default graphics settings on High, no stutters, no ctd, and no bsod.

I had a very stress free flight from KMSN to KMDW.

Back in business, for the moment.

maybe applicable to you as well?
Do Not Use Google Map Mod - Community / General Discussion - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

What graphics card are you running?

GTX 1660 Super. I’m happy with the performance. Have the frames locked at 30.

Since SU8, I have reproducible CTD, when I am about to land, maybe 500ft AGL. Furthermore, occasionally directly after start. This is happing in safe mode, cleared rolling cache, deinstalling all paid and free addons (FSUIPC, Twin Otter, FSRealistic, etc.) and clearing the Commuinty folder. This happens in any aircraft I have from Cessna 152 to TBM or A320, stock or modded or paid.
Changing/Updating the NVidia driver had no effect, either.

In the event viewer it is recorded that MSFS caused a crash either in ctl.dll or ntdll.dll, but that’s it.
Typically I am flying on med graphics mostly, getting 25-30 fps on a I5-7500/1080 Ti system

My last hope is an entire re-install, but from what I have heard here, I believe that might be a small hope only.

SU7 was super smooth, everything worked fine (at least for me), but the experiment for SU8 failed.
I am feeling like a paying beta tester, not having any influence on what is going on, as there is not even a log-file exisiting, at least., or an option to roll back the versions. This is not professional and not acceptable for the current status of development.

I am flying MSFS since Version 2 to P3D and then XP11, as there was no further flight sim improvement in sight. When MSFS came out, I had the joyful hope that MS would have taken XP11 as a state-of-the-art flight sim and had the target to impove this level further on, at least over time.
With SU7, I got the feeling for the first time that now, the team learned their lessons, but with the experiences since SU8, I cannot wait until XP12 will be relased. From what I have seen so far, scenery is by far not as fine as MSFS, but the planes are great, ATC is quite improved, and assuming that life traffic is at least at the level of XP11, the overall immerison seems to be really nice. And more important: You don’t have to be afraid that after a 6 hours flight from JFK to London you cannot land your big iron.This is a real simulator and not a bing-scenery viewer…

Really disappointed… :sob:
This is the first time ever, I wrote in this forum, and I don’t know if this helps anyone, but my frustration level is out of bounds.

it is understandable, but you have to realise thee are many people flying around wihout
much issues.
and do you really think xp12 will be without bugs?

I managed to find the reason for my CTDs:
A few days before I noticed the problems I had changed the mouse driver from “Logitech Setpoint” to “Logitech Options”. As soon as I changed it back the problems were gone.

Edit 1:
Looks like I was being premature … Still having problems, but not as bad as before.

Edit 2:
After deinstalling Avast Anti Virus all went back to normal.

1 Like

I had two CTDs in a row on first starting SU8. I removed OC on my 2080 GPU and they went away. Re-applied the OC and crashes started again. Lesson learned.

On the 1660, I would go to the lowest graphic settings and keep upping the settings until you get CTDs. My laptop has a 1660 and if I tried to Ultra or high, it would crash.

I’ve experienced CTD’s on the regular since SU8. Removal of community mods (which consisted all of the PMS50 GPS, We Love VFR Region 2, Pushback Toolbar, and Navigraph) did not help. Removing the overclock from both my Ryzen 5600X and 2070 Super didn’t help, resetting the app via windows store/xbox app didn’t help, clean installation didn’t help.

Its disheartnening because I enjoyed the game. I wanted to give it a chance and I wanted to see it flourish. But it just hasn’t materialized, at least not for me. More power to those who have not had issues with this game and please don’t view this as me bashing the title. Is it an achievement for the genera? Yes. Is it incredibly beautiful? Yes.

But for me, and after seeing others rise up in complaint when I peruse these forums for potential fixes every time the game has some form of update and new bugs show themselves, its just not worth it anymore. It was a nice run while it lasted Asobo and MSFS.

Again, regards to those who have no issues and still find enjoyment in this game. I hope you continue to enjoy it in the future.

1 Like

It’s a very strange situation on the whole. I get that there are so many hardware configurations in the “PC space” but it should not be this way.

I have a particularly unusual and actually pretty weak setup, but for me it’s been super stable for a long time (running most things on High) - even through the last two system updates I’ve had no real problems so it seems like a “luck of the draw” situation. Not helped by having a Ninja PC. Maybe a supercomputer even makes it WORSE in some cases. Very odd indeed.

I had one single CTD since SU8 which I put down to a new freeware airport I was trying to land at for the first time. Loading into that airport after reboot and it was fine.

The only thing I’ve had “different” since SU8 is on loading into a plane, especially in UK (where I have most freeware + payware airport add-ons) I get the spinning wheel data read/write indicator at bottom-right for ages and if I fly whilst that is visible I get really bad stutters. Seems better in my most recent couple of sessions, but still there. Only in England though! Not sure WHAT it really means or how to diagnose it.

I’ve noticed many things that consistently expose the fragile nature of this complicated game:

1. Fiddling with game settings while in cruise flight. This - our ONLY reasonable alternative, given there’s NO reference documentation - is an attempt to both learn what’s actually possible within the game and to (ideally) improve performance and appearance over time.

2. Rapid setting selection and deselection. Jumping in and out of real world weather is one example. AP is another. Not knowing exactly what a deliberate (or, more dangerous, accidental) key press does, is another. All can be game fatal when you suddenly have to work the unexpected result.

3. Continuing to naively expect that your previously reliable settings will be retained between updates. This includes add-ons.

4. Trusting that new features will actually work.

5. The developer’s consistent tendency to assume initial external yoke, throttle and mixture value settings, then abruptly and dramatically change flight conditions once you finally activated that control and finally supplied them with a real number.

Most of these can be avoided with three actions:

1. Thoroughly pre-flight ALL game settings and flight control operations before flight. No RL pilot gets to be old by assuming “It’s all good”.

2. “If it ain’t currently broke don’t attempt to fix it.” For long flights follow your standard procedures. Leave experimenting with your game and flight control settings for short test pilot flights where you deliberately start with the expectation that it IS NOT going to work (and I could die because of it).

3. Always keep your alternatives open. Always think: “If my next action goes bad, what I’m I going to do about it?” If you can’t identify a good alternative, don’t do it.

2 Likes

So, as mentioned before, I re-installed up my whole system.
Full deinstallation, reboot, re-install → Vanilla status. Updated to the latest NVidia drivers.

Same reproducable CTD when flying any stock aircraft. Tested at different airports such as Wick, EDDR, EDDF and Gatwick. Every time when I am about or just have landed, CTD occurs.

I am out of my options. Anone any idea what else could be done?

Maybe the report of the Event Viewer helps (sorry in German):

Name der fehlerhaften Anwendung: FlightSimulator.exe, Version: 1.23.12.0, Zeitstempel: 0x00000000
Name des fehlerhaften Moduls: clr.dll, Version: 4.8.4470.0, Zeitstempel: 0x61b72dcc
Ausnahmecode: 0xc0000005
Fehleroffset: 0x0000000000669e40
ID des fehlerhaften Prozesses: 0x3a40
Startzeit der fehlerhaften Anwendung: 0x01d839fe3fdeddd1
Pfad der fehlerhaften Anwendung: …\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.23.12.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Pfad des fehlerhaften Moduls: …\Framework64\v4.0.30319\clr.dll
Berichtskennung: 3e79c49a-b8fc-41d6-86f9-1aacfa8d5ac3
Vollständiger Name des fehlerhaften Pakets: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.23.12.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Anwendungs-ID, die relativ zum fehlerhaften Paket ist: App

I am done…