None of the graphical options make any difference to the frame rate

same thing with my 3700X, I regret going AMD … the game is severely CPU limited there is nothing to do to make FPS better, I hope they can optimize it

Looking at the graphic there, it seems like none of the cores are maxed out, despite what people are saying.

Correct, it does not need to be maxed, I’ts simply waiting. Its how multithreading works, one main thread does the majority and schedules the other threads, due to this, the main thread needs to wait for the other threads to finish their task the main thread gave them, only the main thread can do UI and draw calls. How do I know this? Because I’ve been writing software for the last 15 years.

But what is it waiting for if the other cores aren’t maxed out either? Either way, doesn’t this suggest that adding more processing power (either in terms of raw single thread speed or more cores) won’t fix anything?

You need single core power like in all Sims…

More is better 9900k@5.3 like

Perhaps they can optimize more

And fast Ram help in cpu limits

I was getting a slideshow the other day at 4K and I tried turning the resolution down to 480p at 30% resolution scaling with all the other settings turned all the way down and it still ran at like 20FPS. The aliasing was MAJESTIC.

The next day, it was back to normal and running at about 40FPS at 4K/Ultra. I really don’t know what changed, but I did reboot between those results.

In short: computers are weird.

More modern CPUs can perform vastly better compared to the older generation, regardless of clock speed, it’s just how the architecture works. So yes and no basically, more modern CPUs will get you more frames, but it won’t be an insane amount.

Ryzen 5 1600, 32GB RAM, RTX2070 Super

Same issue. I locked game to 30FPS via Nvidia Control Panel.

Digital Foundry was able to get much higher framerates, I refuse to believe my PC is capable of only 30-40FPS on medium.

1 Like

A few things to try, from experience, and from other threads:

• Disabling the VFR map, from the in flight menu, because in some situations it’s extremely CPU intensive. I get twice the FPS when I disable it, if I have long flight plans with 50+ waypoints loaded, in external view, and some improvements in cockpits as well.

• Adjusting the windows performance options for background services, from here:

It’s counterintuitive, but it has helped some people.

And finally you could try changing some settings in the NVidia profile for the flight simulator that have been enabled by the latest driver, which seems to have caused problems for some people:

Those two options in bold have been changed from the defaults, in the latest driver version. You could try setting the Threaded Optimization to Auto, restart the simulator, and see if it made any difference.

In any case, with the current settings, the CPU is clearly the bottleneck. Also this simulator seems very sensitive to RAM speed, and that CPU supports only DDR3, which can be twice as slow as DDR4, and that would also show as a CPU bottleneck.

1 Like

I just don’t understand. During the Alpha/Beta process, I was getting a consistent 40 to 50 FPS with No Stutters at all. Same with X-Plane 11, 50 FPS and no stutters. Why now are my frames 20 to 30 with constant stutters?

I have tried changing the graphics and other settings, with no success.

I have the nVidia 1080 Ti with the newest drivers.

I’ve tried just about every solution I can find online and nothing has helped. Dropping presets from Ultra to Low make little to no difference to my FPS. I’m averaging about 15fps on the ground at nearly all airports with turboprops and airliners. Slightly boosts to about 20fps once in the air.
Ryzen 3700x
32gb RAM
GTX1660Ti
2004 and latest nvidia drivers.

Dev menu is showing my CPU as the constraint.

EDIT: Popping out my VFR map from the main window and dragging the window off the screen seems to have fixed it completely. FPS instantly boosts to over 60 with Ultra settings in props in heavy density cities.

Popping out the VFR map isn’t doubling your FPS. It’s the same FPS being counted twice in MSI or GeForce experience. Check the frames in the developer mode and you will see that they stay the same, but afterburner will show double. I just tested this

Yep, you’re right. I use Geforce to overlay the FPS but the dev mode show’s the correct FPS.
After a bit more testing I’ve also found detaching the overlay introduces more stuttering anyway after awhile.
The only thing I haven’t tried is rolling back the geforce drivers but I’m not convinced this will make much difference either.

My whole setup is on a clean OS install.

I thought I was getting better frames also but then I clocked that it was just double. I’m also suffering from stutters so was trying to find a solution. With my GPU at 99% usage and my CPU only maxing out at 60% usage along with only 11gb of my 32gb I think my solution is to get a new GPU and my 970 is not cutting it in this at all!

I noticed the same issue, here is the explanation:
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/cpu-bug-limited-by-main-thread-is-causing-the-bad-fps/190971/2

Hello all, i solved my issue with CPU bottlneck by removing completly cache file and turn this option off. Disabling hyperthreading in bios but the biggest boost was an older driver from nvidia. Please try these steps and download a driver from may/june should make the game enjoyable.

Bold statement. But wondering - Which cache? Rolling cache or manual? Both? How big was your rolling cache? How big was your manual cache?

50gbs rolling. But the biggest perfromance “boost” was the older driver (needed to use a tool to completly remove the current one)

This game is quite strage.
My PC is i7-9900, 32 GM ram DDR4, RTX 2070 Ultra.

With 4k graphics, High settings (the last one before Ultra), 60 fps cap, I have a more or less constant 30/32 fps.
Changing grahpics settings I don’t have any improvement (even at 1080).

A weird behaviour is related to the FPS limit: as I said, I use 60, if i force 30 FPS, the game - no matter which graphic setting I use - fall around 11/17 fps.

I will keep 4k with approx. 30 fps and that’s all.