Not OC'd my Ryzen 5600 and Asus 3060 Ti - A good thing maybe?

On a upgraded system here. Got the 3060Ti and a 5600. 5600X running stock / default settinngs (only XMP / DOCP’d in Bios to get right memory speed). Should I leave it like this? Also, the 3060 Ti is not touched at all. Same question there: is it fine “as it is”?

What would you suggest? I dont now anything about OC and PBO etc. Just want to keep simple without too much hustle in Bios. But should I rethink that? Same with my GPU…worth using Afterburner or not?

The GPU is a ASUS TUF 3060 Ti V2 OC (LHR)

cheers!

Leave it like it is.
I have the R5 5600x too and capped my fps to 30 with Vsync on with just stock settings for the CPU and GPU.
After bad experimenting with overclocking I found out that this is the best setting for me, very stable and relatively smooth.
MSFS doesn’t really likes overclocking and gets unstable.
The chances of CTD”s are much bigger when overclocking your CPU and GPU or Ram…

P.s, my GPU is a AMD Radeon RX5600 all on 1080p on a 34 inch ultrawide monitor…

1 Like

Looks good as it is. No need to overclock.
I had a gtx 1080 and it worked like a charm on 1080p with a ryzen 5 3600

Moved to #self-service:pc-hardware

You definitely should optimize your 5600x. I’m not talking about overclocking. Basically the stock settings are settings that AMD is sure will work for all chips. In general this means they pump the voltage on the high side and lower the max clock speed of the chips to skew it so that the worst of the chips will run. So if you don’t have one of the worst chips (you didn’t lose the silicon lottery) then the stock settings are not right for your chip.

Optimizing your chip means tweaking the PBO, AOC, and Curve Optimizer settings to tailor them for your particular chip. It doesn’t mean pushing the chip to its limits. I followed the playlist of videos here for my 5800x. When I did I learned a lot and got better performance at lower temperatures. The chip is more stable at these settings. It takes time but I think it’s worth it.

I have the same system and it works just fine in the stock configuration. Therefore, I would not recommend overclock.

1 Like

Hi, same rig here.
I guess you can leave everything alone as others said. However a moderate o/c won’t do any harm at all.
Personally I enabled PBO both on Ryzen Master and on the mobo bios. With PBO on, the 5600X will happily boost at 4600 MHz as per its intended design when needed, i.e. for instance when running MSFS.
As to the 3060ti I just ran the auto o/c feature that comes with MSI Afterburner, which automatically finds a voltage to frequency curve and tests your card for stability based on that curve. More details here: How To Use MSI Afterburner OC Scanner (msiafterburnerguide.com)

I have a system with a lot of grunt, but the plan with this was NOT to overclock for the simple reason that if it can run well within its comfort zone that there will be less stress on the system as a whole and that it should enjoy increased longevity as a result. In life, I have found that everything is happiest with the “volume” control set around the middle.

Your PC as described will do a great job, don’t ness it up with any overclocking. The GPU already has a factory overclock, and the CPU will boost automatically to give it’s best performance. If you know exactly what you’re doing then a mild manual overclock of the CPU, GPU or RAM is entirely possible and acceptable, but MSFS is quite finicky about these and it will crash at the slightest hint of instability.

I had an RTX 3060 (non-ti) and in my experience I found Afterburner to be a bit of a pain - the overclock it attempted made MSFS crash every time, and it wasn’t clear how to remove the settings. Uninstalling Afterburner and Riva tuner didn’t do it, and I had to uninstall and reinstall the Nvidia drivers completely to reset it to standard.

Again this is just my experience but I tried them all, and could not recommend any of the one-stop auto-overclocking type apps for Flight Sim. MSI, Gigabyte, ASUS etc. all have similar offerings and I didn’t find one that was 100% reliable and effective. The Nvidia GeForce experience ‘Performance’ settings can do a very slight GPU overclock, but it is so slight that it’s not worth it for the tiny gains you may see vs the risk to stability.

1 Like

Did you cap in game or with NCP? =)

In game… (Radeon)

Ok, still not working for me. Fs behaves like its vsync off, sort off. Can’t get past that except for enabling it in NCP. But I really don’t need it since I’m using a gsyng-compatible screen. I have been lowering fps tro 35 now. Also turned off multi threading in NCP.

1 Like

You’re good to go. Just enable DOCP for the memory and carry on. No need to take a deep dive into Advanced PBO / Curve Optimizer / Voltage and current settings Unless you want to geek out on it and learn overclocking inside and out. Yes you are leaving some margin on the table but not alot.

The only other thing i would enable is PBO … the standard one … not the advanced one or the motherboard settings based one.

You wont be needing to visit the bios much after that.

Especially with an AMD 5000 based system which is designed to boost as long as the environment allows it.

I have a 5600X, upgraded from a 3600. Nice improvement. At the time I upgraded the CPU I added an excellent air cooling solution. My temps under load never exceed 50 C and remain under 30 C at idle. No overclocking on the CPU or GPU (RX 5700 XT) with solid frame rates, no stuttering, and fluid motion at all times. Rare CTD events these days. (Fingers crossed for the upcoming SU8 update.)

Found this in some other forum. I should change booth, I guess? I also read that it might be that the PBO setting does not boost anyting for me at all in, but not sure about FS? Is it proven to be better to PBO rather than OC?

Under A.I Tweaking → Precision Boost Overdrive → Enable

AMD Overclocking → Precision Boost Overdrive → Enable

1 Like

AMD Overclocking — Precision Boost Overdrive — Enable.