Nothing has been fixed (WU6)

Wind on the runway is broken. They tune down the wind near the ground and at lower airspeeds because of their problems with ground friction. So basically we can only test this in the air. And in the air it seems to work (but not always) and it seems a bit too weak still because i have to turn up the gusts very high to notice it.

1 Like

I believe you, there is no way these updates would have been ok for so many testers. Which leads to a more worrisome conclusion…

1 Like

Yes, many things are broken that never get fixed. I just want the gusts back because it made the landings more unpredicted and gusts broken at runway should be fixed before those graphics options in a sim in my opinion. Now we need to wait and hope they manage to fix it in SU6. They need to fix the friction not remove features to go around the problem.

4 Likes

Well Asobo completely broke the cockpit interaction system on with changes for Xbox. So I guess we’re all in the same boat here

I couldn’t agree more. I had a great time with SU4. Stable. Flight after flight after flight - solid as a rock. Now this train wreck. Infuriating.

4 Likes

I must say there were a lot of complaints on the forums about wind gusts last year that it made landing too difficult for some people, and it seems they turned gusts and turbulence down way in the beginning, even before SU4/5.

Now we have no gusts near the ground, too little of it in the air. Also there is no clear air turbulence, only turbulence from mountains and a little bit when in clouds.

Some people just want it to be ‘fun’ (easy mode) instead of realistic. In the last storm in the USA i could fly the Cessna 172 hands off to get coffee and come back 2 minutes later with the plane level and on course but normaly the plane should be torn apart. :slight_smile:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/manual-weather-gusts-of-wind/284292

2 Likes

Just wanted to expand on what @CalmEspresso wrote. Tooltips are useful in general, and I was happy to have them in the sim, especially in complex planes such as the FBW A320 or the PMDG DC-6. In smaller aircraft they used to show useful data like the throttle and mixture setting in percent.

However, tooltips are typically shown to the upper or lower right of the mouse pointer (and the button they’re referring to), as to make sure they don’t cover the thing you want your mouse to interact with. In MSFS post-SU5 they appear dead-on centered on the button/knob, covering it up completely, which is extremely irritating.

Also they’re a lot bigger than they used to be, at least on my 1920x1200 screen, making them a lot more intrusive than necessary on a PC. The Windows default font size would be perfectly fine, but the new MSFS tooltips use a font that’s almost twice as big.

And finally, they no longer show the percentage for the throttle or mixture knobs as they did before SU5, making them less useful than they used to be. One could argue that it’s realistic to not have the information, as this isn’t available on a real aircraft either, but at least you get the sensory feedback when touching the real knobs, which you just can’t do in a sim. For this “muscle memory based percentage” the tooltips were a useful replacement.

I hope this helps to clarify why turning off tooltips is not a great solution, it just helps to get rid of them when the new behaviour is just too annoying and the tooltips aren’t absolutely needed.

3 Likes

Yes, same with the savage cub in hurricane ida. I didn’t get coffee though :rofl: Those link you added just had 2 votes and the other like 5 replies. Would be bad if they listen to that. I have seen some too but in custom weather they should just have added steady winds, not remove the gusts and in live weather an option to turn gusts on&off.

1 Like

I mean, IFR flight in this game has been trash for awhile.

1 Like

But there were some people saying “WOW! So cool to fly in the hurricane!”

Apparently they have no idea you can’t actually fly a small Cessna in a hurricane that size as it will destroy the plane and turn you upside down a couple of times.

I really hope they will fix the weather, it’s the most important thing if you want to simulate flight if you ask me.

5 Likes

And that i should have though was cool and realistic to not be able to fly in it in those small aircrafts. If we want to look at the clouds we can use the drone cam thats already in the sim or turn on assists.

1 Like

Perfect enemy for a game

Think it would be way nicer if you see this big storm and actually have to worry about it. That’s a big part of aviation. Nature is scary and you should plan your flight around bad situations.

Ida was just a little bumpy in the sim like a normal bumpy flight you can have any day when it’s not cavok.

2 Likes

Oh man. It would be so good to try Ida again after WU6.

It seems that there are two issues: boundary layer around ground and the ability to control gusts.

Regarding the first topic, I would still like to see more activity closer to the ground. I think Asobo should bring back the old roller coaster gust model. It was more realistic, or at least put into easy vs hard realism settings.

A few people hadn’t experienced severe weather, and complained they couldn’t land. Now low level gusts are docile.

On the second issue, it seems like people are reporting gusting is not working when they set the weather. However I contend that it works beautifully well when moving into live wx storms. If it is working in live weather, the next step would be to make it controllable in weather settings. I agree that this can be improved.

2 Likes

You don’t need to test it. A storm/hurricane should be more dangerous on ground because of more gusts than in the air now it’s nothing on ground and just like a normal little bumpy flight in the air without need of inputs from us. Maybe a little bit more gusts but not as METAR reports because it’s limited in some sort to make it easier for us. I can’t think of any other excuse for it because this should be easier to fix than those graphics sliders they implement because those graphics sliders we didn’t have from beginning.

It’s their own graphics engine so graphics is the thing they know.

The sim related stuff is old FSX code that somebody else made 20-40 years ago. It probably looks like Chinese to them. That’s why they are having a hard time with ATC, the SDK, weather and other aviation related stuff.

5 Likes

But they told us before release they made this sim for simmers in mind. Now it looks like they make it for graphics enthusiasts and removing/limit sim features to make it easier to look at the awseome scenery.

Nothing? I would not say that.

So far no CTDs from various flights i have done so far. Thank you! This is different than SU5 when I had a lot of CTDs until hotfix fixed only some of them. I hope the stability, for me, holds. I know it is not a fix for all. Would have been nice to see more bug fixes from SU5 (i.e. Broken “Toggle Spoiler” still not fixed that SU5 broke).

The graphics are improved a bit over SU5 downgrade but still short of what we had pre-SU5

World map bug is still there:

I was in fact flying in a storm. Even MSFS depicted the weather conditions nicely. The problem was that the winds were pretty constant. 29-31 kts when I checked the G1000 PFD. The plane was also pretty stable, except for the drift caused by the strong but constant winds. All in all a disappointment experience.

Could you please try loading up a flight (preferably a GA aircraft) and see whether manually adjusting gust winds causes any changes? In my case the effects are minimal to none.

exactly i believe any company can do it better than asobo care for free world updates is zero
just look at photogrammetry in all world updates - every city like amsterdam vienna and others has shoddy photogrammetry with cranes floating midway in the air with smudgy half loaded buildings city looking blurry even from high distance comparing to photogrammetry which were present already in the game when it was released (i checked 40 photogrammetry cities properly already and all were sharp and fine)
i stopped looking forward to new photogrammetry cities after this sixth update
plus photogrammetry is now loaded too late properly after this update many times when i fly through objects they dont even start to load in basel and vienna
very disappointed asobo whats the point to release world updates when you dont really care