Nvidia 40 series Frame Generation causes Warning: Your graphics device has encountered a problem

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

no

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

Tried with and without mods

Brief description of the issue:

Getting the “graphics card has encountered a problem” error when using my 4070ti with Frame Generation turned on. It works fine if I turn it off (which I obviously don’t want to do). I have also managed to pinpoint what is causing it and have provided a video which also has a couple of temporary solutions (hopefully). The problem seems to be with the games windowing system in that whenever I resize the window it causes the crash. This is 100% reproducible (see vid)

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2RWRaSdeOc

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

The video shows me loading the sim 4 times. Notice that before I click on the “Continue in Normal Mode” button (the same happens if I click on the “Safe Mode” button) I can resize the window no problem. After I click on the button, any window resize causes the crash. As I said, this only happens for me with Frame Insertion turned on.

I may have found a couple of solutions but I need to do more testing.

1. Use full screen mode. It may still crash when you first change to full screen but seems to work on any subsequent loading of the sim.

2. When using Window mode make sure the window is in Maximised mode (the button next to the close button at the top right of the window). When it is in Maximised mode the mouse should NOT change to the “drag” curser when you move it to the edge of the screen. Once in this mode you can still Minimise/Maximise but never try to drag the window as it will cause the crash. You will still have access to your taskbar and be able to pull up other windows like Navigraph etc.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

i7 9700
4070ti
32gigs Ram

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

I have made this a separate thread as it seems to be specific scenario of the 40 series (Frame Generation) although I know people with other cards also get the same message

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Hi @anon41762679, I’ve updated your topic title to differentiate the issue you’ve found from the other threads talking about that error :+1:

2 Likes

Yup … new hardware, new dlss behaviour = new problems for Asobo/MS/Nvidia to fix

does it happens in the MSFS Beta version only ?

Not gone back to the release version. Don’t want to screw up my install. Been on the beta for months.

yep… its only for information for others. I seen other reports where Frame Gen not crashed / caused that, also on my system ( not in the beta ) it not crashed as I tried it for a while, so may be its a beta-problem only :slight_smile:

I have made this a separate thread as it seems to be specific scenario of the 40 series (Frame Generation) although I know people with other cards also get the same message

Hello, I have the same problem, when I turn on frame generation, the game freezes, or I get the same error message as shown in the video. I9 12900KF, Win.11, 32/3600MhzRAM, RTX4080. I don’t know how to continue. With the 3090, no problems. no Beta

Hi,

may be worth to mention. In a parallel topic a similar problem is described and it was caused from the RAM XMP mode. Possible affected users can check the hint from @wackydudegerman

I don’t have XMP turned on

Well I may be jumping the gun here but I have just discovered that the version of the nvngx_dlssg.dll file that is part of the msfs 2020 is an older version (v1.0.1.0). I just replaced it with the latest version, V1.0.7.0 and for the first time I am able to resize the sim window without getting the above error.

It could be a fluke and needs to be tested a lot more but fingers crossed.

Not sure why msfs is on such an old version of the dll as their have been a few updates since 1.0.1.0.

The nvngx_dlss.dll file and this is on my install on v2.4.12.0 . The nvngx_dlssg.dll is on 1.0.1.0.
These changes are mainly to support new games. But who knows, may be nvidia fixed somewhat on that Beta-feature-stuff “Frame-Generation”. At least these versions was up2date with the SU11 release.

so, the crash happens only if you resize the window ?

No it can happen randomly as well. For example, during the update it crashed at the end of both the initial download and at the end of the download of the Garmin update.

The reason I mentioned the windows sizing was that is were I could reproduce that crash 100% of the time as seen in the video.

As a sidenote. I have been playing Dying Light 2 recently and after the recent update the other day it broke DX12/DLSS3 for me. Wouldnt even load the game anymore and I had to drop back to DX11. Swapped the nvngx_dlssg.dll in that as well and it finally loaded and I managed to get a couple of hours in last night.

Could all be a coincidence but if it continues to work I’ll be happy. I am a bit wary though as the sim has started to work before (got two flights in) and then started crashing again.

Demonstration of the “fix”. Something for people to try anyway.

I9 13-900K
Gigabyte RTX 4090
64GB DDR5 ram

If HAGGS and DLSS Frame generation is enabled MSFS will load and then Freeze once it gets to the main menu, it sometimes will allow you to load into a flight but then freezes. Issue only occurs with DLSS Frame Generation Enabled.

I’ve tried full clean reinstall of the newest drivers as well as clean MSFS install, also tried updating to the lates DLSS .dll’s still no solution, I am running on the BETA version of MSFS. also removed the OC from my machine so everything is running at default, still the same issue.

has anyone had any luck with solving this? I would love to take advantage of the added FPS boost of frame generation.

have you found a fix yet?

Apologies for the snarky response. I thought it was a mod asking the question :slight_smile:

No worries, i’ve ran into the issue recently after frame generation was working well. I’ve tried possibly everything out there and the sim always crashes when i change settings and it’s randomized when I go into flight. It’s been pretty frustrating especially since I got my 4090 in last week.

The thing that helps a lot for me is using the updated DLSS and FrameGen .dll’s from nVidia. MSFS, for some reason, keeps using old versions and with every update reinstalls those old version. These can be downloaded from TechPowerUp. The versions I am using are:

nvngx_dlssg.dll 3.1.10 (There are newer version but I’m reluctant to change)
nvngx_dlss.dll 3.1.1.0 (again there are newer version of this)

Also, if you are using either nVidia Freestyle Filters or Reshade then try doing some testing without them.

reshade and nvidia filters seem to cause the issue. I wonder if there is a workaround for either…