nVidia 40xx series Frame Generation flickering glass cockpit ONLY when simulator has mouse focus

:wave: Thank you for using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

2 tags are required: One for platform, and one for aircraft.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons? If the issue still occurs with no mods and add-ons, please continue to report your issue. If not, please move this post to the Community Support section.

Yes. Makes no difference

Which aircraft are you reporting an issue about? (Please also add the proper tag for it)

Any Garmin glass cockpit. Haven’t tested airliners as I don’t fly them currently

Which aircraft version are you experiencing this issue on? (You can find this listed in the Content Manager under the Aircraft Name)

SU14 release TBM930 and SR22T G6 and Citation Longitude (but not limited to these)

Brief description of the issue:

Sim is running smoothly but glass cockpits (and only glass cockpits, not the rest of the plane cockpit graphics) flicker annoyingly when nVidia 4000 series cards Frame Generation feature is enabled. BUT, this only happens when the mouse has focus on the simulator.

I run a multi screen system with the sim on only one screen. If I move the mouse away from the simulator and simply click on another app to move the focus, the flickering stops.

I also run a head tracker which makes the effect worse due to continuous movement of the cockpit view.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

N/A Video too big to upload

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Fly a Garmin glass cockpit aircraft with nVidia Frame Generation enabled. Note the flickering on the garmin emulated screens in the cockpit, especially if you move the view around, such as with a head tracker. Move the mouse focus to another app apart from FS2020. Note the flickering ceases. [Later edit…] Further tests would indicate that when the sim doesn’t have mouse focus the nVidia Frame Generation is not working (fps drop noted), hence the removal of the flickering at that time. Is hat what is supposed to happen when the mouse moves focus away from flight sim?

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

i7-8700K, nVidia 4070, 64GB ram, multiple monitors - only one used for sim.

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

As soon as I started using my 4070 and nVidia Frame Generation. This was on SU14 beta, and continues on SU14 release.

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

I’m using a 4070ti and I’m not getting and flicker caused by mouse.

Z390-P BiosVer 30043
Processor Intel(R) Core™ i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz
Installed RAM 32768.0 GB DDR4 2666MHz

Processor Intel(R) Core™ i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz
Installed RAM 32.0 GB
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
SanDisk SSD G5

Edition Windows 11 Pro
Version 23H2
Installed on ‎8/07/‎2023
OS build 22631.2715
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22634.1000.0

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070ti with 12g memory
Driver 546.29
Driver 546.31 hot fix
DisplayPort
G Sync Monitor: Dell 27 Gaming Monitor - S2721DGF
HP Reverb G2
Re-size bar - enabled

Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo
Thrustmaster TPR Pedals

Internet Speed
230.9 Mbps download
32.5 Mbps upload

Gsync on or off? I had a similar experience when gsync was set to on but no flickering or so when it‘s off.

1 Like

I have the same problem as op. Gsync on. Will try with off and report back.

EDIT: it is indeed better with Gsync off, I get very noticeable input lag then though. And with Track IR on it is nauseating.

GSync off (I just removed VRR from the connected TV port), VSYNC off in game, forced on in the Nvidia control panel works great for me, virtually no flicker, no tearing and manageable input lag.

Thanks for the tipp with GSync. I finally can use FG.

Are the cockpit gauge numbering blurry for you guys? That’s why I can’t use DX12.

Fuzziness is caused by DLSS, not Frame Generation. DLSS doesn’t really work for Flight sims due to the detailed natture of the cockpit and the blurring the DLSS causes. It’s blurred cos DLSS reduces the resolution of the render.

3 Likes

Thanks for the explanation. I don’t understand all this stuff. Can you have one without the other?

Yes the naming all these technologies is very unhelpful. There is DLSS, DLSS2, DLSS3 and Frame Generation, and they are all quite different.

What we have in FS2020 is DLSS3 which is mostly marketing hype from nVidia, claiming to speed up your FPS magically, whereas in fact all it does is render your video at lower resolution and then use (quite poor) AI upscaling to attempt to get the resolultion back. In practice this just produces blurry graphics in the detailed cockpit of a simulator, so I just leave DLSS3 turned off. Apparently it works OK in some shooter games where the same detail isn’t required.

Frame Generation is rather useful and can pretty much double your FPS, but there are currently problems with the graphics fidelity of the Garmin glass cockpit screens then using this, in that they flicker a bit (annoyingly so). The rest of the cockpit looks smooth and fine, so hopefully this can be sorted in future by Asobo, or Working Title or nVidia. It would seem that perhaps there is a mismatch in the refresh rate of the general cockpit graphics v the glass cockpit graphics.

2 Likes

You do know frame generation doesn’t blur the screens and render your resolution at a lower resolution. It can be used with TAA. Don’t use FG with DLSS.

Hi, is it possible for you to capture a video of this issue happening and sent to us outside the forums since its too big to upload?

A post was merged into an existing topic: Performance Loss with SU14

Yes I am aware of that.

I have a 4070ti with FG and noticed the flickering too. I use Reshade, and I setup a key to disable it to test. With Reshade I had flickering, but when I disabled it, the flickering went away completely. If you use Reshade you might want to give it a try.

I’m sure it has to do with a specific selection within the Reshade file that I’m using, but I need to do more testing.