nVidia 461.92 drivers released

I read throw this topic but what is the best driver today for RTX3090strix and VR Reverb G2 with live weather on?

457.30 or 465.89

I’m giving 465.89 a shakedown, and so far, so good. RTX2070 Super…

2 Likes

Based on a quick summary of a few posts it appears 465.89 is about the same for users who are not using reprojection but 457 seems to be smoother for those who do.

1 Like

Wait. Help me understand, the thread title is 461.92. What is 465.89? Given the higher number it would have to be a driver that came to us from the future. Sorry about my ignorance, but has that just been released? And you say it’s working well with VR?

Ok, I tried the 465.89 driver (2080Ti + G2 VR). It was an immediate revert back to 457.30 for me. 465.89, like all other recent drivers, stutters badly. Why is that, why are all the more recent/advanced drivers ■■■■ compared to 457.30? Or does it have to do with HAGS? Do people recommend HAGS on or off (I’m asking for VR specifically…)

According NVidia we have to set HAGS ON to avoid stutters with last drivers.

Mainly those 2 point are interesting:

[Steam VR game]: Stuttering and lagging occur upon launching a game while any GPU hardware monitoring tool is running in the background. [3152190]

[VR]: Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 VR may stutter if Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling is disabled. [3246674]

Check also here (NVidia didn’t provide the fix yet):

1 Like

Hi, I have just tried the new driver (465.89) with HAGS on. That was a catastrophe, unfortunately. As soon as I turn HAGS on it becomes very, very laggy in VR [2080Ti with G2 VR]. How could HAGS have such a negative impact, am I doing something wrong? I am growing increasingly concerned that we’ll be stuck with 457.30 forever…

1 Like

The same for me in VR (RTX 2080 Super, 10700k, 32 GB, G2)

@PathlessSpore60, LOL, well from the perspective of when this thread began, it was the future, but now it’s about 5 days in the past. So far the 465.89 is treating me well, framerates are good, smoothness is very good, especially in VR, and they’ve somehow managed to make the airports at night look much more realistic. They don’t look like some odd fireworks show anymore.

I think it might be a keeper.

@Fmgc320 here’s some comments on the new driver you might be interested in.

@CodeLoran69, my dumb rear end can’t figure out how to check my HAGS settings, but nonetheless, I’m not suffering from any stuttering issues with 465.89. Can you remind me how to find that setting? TIA…

Same place as game mode but on the right click on advanced or something. Pretty sure lol. You are clearly flying too much and not tinkering in menus enough! Shame on you.

2 Likes

Yup. Game mode, then graphics settings, and I have HAGS off, and intend to keep it that way unless there’s a really good reason to change it. I knew somebody here tinkered with menus instead of flying enough… :wink:

Come on @Jonny5Alive6618, the skies are calling. Step away from the internet (and the settings menus) and go flying!!

1 Like

That’s interesting, on my computer 465.89 stutters significantly (I’m VR only, 2080Ti, G2 goggles, standard WMR, i.e. no OpenXR preview build or anything fancy). Would be really interesting to find out what makes the difference between your system/settings and mine… And it would be interesting to hear other people’s experience, to find out whether Kev or I are the exception or the rule…

@PathlessSpore60
HAGS off
Game Bar Off

Nvidia Control Panel:

• Low Latency Mode ON
  • Power mgt mode: Prefer max performance
  • Texture filtering anistropic: On
  • Texture filtering negative LOD: Allow
  • Texture filtering quality: Performance
  • Texture filtering Trilinear: On
  • Threaded Optimization: On
  • Vertical Sync: Fast
  • VR pre-rendered frames: 1

OXR Version 105.2102.11004.0 ← This is important, made a big diff for me.

• Latest preview: Off
  • Custom render: Unchecked
  • Repro: Disabled
  • No advanced Settings

Sim settings:

• TAA 100 or 90 depending on scenery density

Misc on the rest, but I can list/screen cap them if helpful.

Rig:

• 10600K paired with a 2070 Super, both OCed
  • Reverb G2, plugged into powered USB hub
  • Not relevant to VR, but 32" 1440p Samsung display, 2nd 28" 1080p AOC

Questions or if I missed anything pertinent, LMK…

1 Like

Thanks, Kev. Quick question, where do I check what OXR version I’m on?

@PathlessSpore60, open it up and click about. If you need to update, open the winders store, press the 3 dots on the upper right, and click on downloads and updates.

Thanks, Kev. Checked my OXR version, same as you, so that’s not the issue, hmmm…

I was using v461.09
Valve Index
2080ti
Before SU3 was very good for me.

Will try anything now.
Tried v461.92
It’s smooth for the most part but yet again anything below 700 feet is bad with motion projection.

Before SU3 with v461.09 I could fly close to the ground and it was great.
Sticking with v461.92 for my 2080ti

I hope they can get this stuff sorted out before I die of old age.

Nice informative thread.

Cheers,
PACO572

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.