Nvidia DLSS support

I used DLSS for the first time in Red Dead Redemption 2 and wow I’m impressed providing RDR2 is one of the most demanding titles on PC.
I’m running an rtx2060super on a 3440x1440 monitor and was only getting 45fps on high settings. Used DLSS quality and boom 55fps with little to no lost in image quality.

Fps varies from 30s to 40s on a mix of High and Ultra in MSFS and I could only imagine the bump it would bring to this sim.

Anyone denying what DLSS can do seriously do you even own an RTX Nvidia card?

This is an amazing accomplishment from Nvidia and will only getting from here.

7 Likes

I wish Asobo would tell us when we can expect Nvidia DLSS support. That would be a total game changer for me. I have rtx 3060 Ti and I would welcome few extra fps on 4k / Ultra with open arms.

They said they might consider looking into it after the transition to DirectX 12 is complete and the engine team is less busy. No guarantee it will ever be supported though.

As mentioned in today’s Q&A session, DLSS support is being prototyped as part of the DirectX 12 branch, which is planned for release with Sim Update 10 but could come later. They said it’s working very well and they were very impressed with the quality and performance boost at higher resolutions.

9 Likes

Yes, but unfortunately they didn’t say anything about AMD cards (FSR). And I think AMD has also been installed in the XBox recently.
That doesn’t simplify the decision for the next graphics card, or does it just now? :wink:

1 Like

Agreed! They seemed rather dismissive of FSR in a past Q&A so I hope they reconsider about that too (and the newer XeSS as well). This is relevant for non-RTX card owners as well, not just AMD.

Make sure to support the following thread regarding FSR.

1 Like

They work on DLSS as priority also because most of the people own a Nvidia card, so you reach a bigger audience. Numbers are everything.
I’m sure they’ll work on FSR as well.

Same for VR, numbers show that the most owned headset is the Quest 2 so if they ever release a specific feature, I’m sure it will be something for this headset first. (Hand Tracking, ASW 2.0, etc)

2 Likes

I’m glad they finally gave another chance to DLSS. As I said months ago, they first tested it when the sim was heavily CPU limited, so DLSS is less interesting in such scenario. Now they optimized the CPU threads management, they saw the light.

Good! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Very good news Asobo finally getting DLSS into the sim.
As for the FSR, it is already present in the sim rendering engine in some form and augmented with the scaling slider and the TAA setting - that is basically that. There is also AMD CAS in there, soem very good shaders from the FidelityFX suite.

Now it is time to implement the next level thing such as AI super-sampling and I am sure Intel’s XeSS and also some type of AMD’s super-sampling/convolution/AI deep learning stuff. I am sure AMD is working on their solution and the FSR was actually just a small first start to give something to the gaming community.

1 Like

The trouble with your theory is that, while the majority of the harder core PC simmers might be using Nvidia I’d imagine that with AMD RDNA2 users, a combined number of Xbox and PC users will actually be a bigger number than those who use Nvidia.

Now I’m not an expert in the Xbox API, a problem might be that system might of already maxed out the capabilities of the Xbox Gpu, thus there might be no overhead available to use FSR for MSFS. But maybe the opposite of this true.

I’m sure others will have more knowledge of this than me.

There is surely overhead left, there always is per design.
*EDIT Forgot - well the FSR would be a good thing had the Xbox GPU capability been maxed. Such thing as FSR would ease up the job for the GPU.
Butthe FSR is already in the sim. And in the PC version as well, done job back in July. Trust me, I know. :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

OK then. Where do I enable FSR in the settings, I must of missed Asobo’s announcement of FSR’s implementation within the sim, or do you mean Asobo have version version of FSR?

Asobo also said they sort of have a version of Ray Tracing, but we all know it’s not Ray Tracing that is in other AAA games that have Ray Tracing enabled.

No, it’s not like that, we cannot find the option for the feature. It is something like what you mention - they have the whole range of AMD FidelityFX technologies and they designed and optimized their customized versio nof FSR. I mean, even by looking at features and the graphical options together with the TAA and the scaler I can see they use something like FSR.

Well no. This is a bit related to the business, I’d drop it here, please…
But the ray tracing thing. They indeed use the ray traced reflection and shadow denoiser. The denoiser :-). Imean come on, that’s something! :wink:
It’s from FidelityFX suite by AMD, they are important partner with AMD in that regard as well, so they were among the first devs to have had access to novel shaders from that suite.

The only FidelityFX feature they have implemented is CAS, which replaced Asobo’s sharpening filter back with Sim Update 1. This can be confirmed on AMD’s official website, no other FidelityFX technology has been implemented.

Right now the simulator features either typical bilinear upscaling (when TAA is off), or temporal upsampling (when TAA is on) which is made by Asobo. This means that presently there is nothing like FSR in the game, which includes a spatial upscaling pass using a customised Lanczos filter, edge reconstruction to reduce artifacts, and a sharpening pass. Its official implementation continues to be a valid request.

1 Like

Yes. correct, it was back a couple of months after release Asobo even told us they “improved AA”, etc, etc. It was actually CAS.
However, it is not the only feature from that API that they use for their in-house engine. Lots of features are part of the GPUopen, and together with Gameworks middleware by nVidia it is an open standard that studios such as Asobo make extensive use of.

Those can often be and in fact are features not often exposed through the final product’s UI that work at the lower levels, for example quite good radix sorting algorithm by AMD for the parallelization of various functions in a title, efficient multithreading for up to 4 workers in DX11, etc.
Or the reflections for example, a studio can use the present sampling via monte carlo rendering and perform the depth tracing (ray marching) - but then use a very good AMD’s SSSR to shade the surfaces with exact evaluation of materials…plus you can go with low res source reflections with just 2x2 or 4x4 tiles in the screen-space for all types of rays in the scene, yet still get the nice looking reflections coz that approach supports using FSR directly on source reflections mid-process. The ones in the sim are maybe created using a similar or the same comb of tech.
Studios build their in-hose engines and solutions and use a number of features, tools whatnot…be it in Unity or UE whatever…tools by Pixar, Nvidia, opengpu…from all sides.
I like the fact Asobo uses 3ds max and Babylon…when it comes to modelling, materials and all that stuff for MSFS…I mean it’s one of my favorite repositories.

Yes, there is no official FSR implementation, that is true.
I have some great news to share with you, at least with all of you who didn’t already hear about it:

The next big thing in the (should be March) version of AMD Adrenaline driver will be - FSR! :slight_smile:
Indeed, so they managed to place their spatial upscaler and the algo and all the tech for the in-driver activation on basically any title. So even if a game doesn’t have FSR integrated natively, we will be able to activate the feature from the upcoming Adrenaline driver suite.

Theere is the minimum requirement (as AMD says) in that the GPU architecture has to be based on RDNA. They obviously have some difficulties with GCN…but let’s hope it also works on those cards.

Another novelty with that driver will be introduction of the AI based eye/gaze and head tracking. All you need is a webcam with depth sensing or that Kine…ct (?) or something. Same one that Windows Hello requires.
The technology in the upcoming AMD Adrenaline suite comes from the AMD’s partnership with Eyeware. Let’s hope it finds good use in the simulator ! :smiley:
More about it you can check out here —> Eyeware | Head & Eye Tracker Software Tech - Webcams & 3D Cameras

[EDIT]
I completely forgot!
I took to trying and testing out the FSR, as it is available as an open source now.
This is how NYC looks with FSR enabled and set at Ultra (the “worst” quality where it takes 1080p and upscales to 4K):

https://am3pap002files.storage.live.com/y4mNavWMCuNLnYIJjGPP5cOyhi2Gkf3NDn0O1MKyosIAZ-JlT2hOW4pC9ZIO-RfOHl71seCk8DQeeLSy1IDwFmcmPZDgb21-tsNH-klTaZXgc_riYrRKsGvkpBk3geLZeNgBGlPkgwEOpFPhVjdUB2Sq2ohQ1KmhMaXjioOFF1sAqXtCEyAmuKUQgIcaDZEp9gM?width=3840&height=2160&cropmode=none

I’m sorry, but the image improvement doesn’t shine through for me. I’ve looked at both sides of the image above in Gimp, and truly can’t see any differences between them.
What I do see is the claimed FPS increases, and if they are borne out in MSFS, then that alone would be sufficient to demand/beg for DLSS support for the sim.

I am really interested to hear from anyone who tries the SU10 Beta update with DLSS…
How does it run? What does it look like? What do light masts look like? Fences etc? Thanks

It’s looking great on my system. It got rid of the shimmering AA on AI buildings that was introduced around SU5.

There are various levels you can set it at, I’m currently running it on Quality and everything looks much better to me.

Performance has also increased and I’m now running everything on Ultra and at around 60 fps on my 2070 Super/Ryzen 3700X system in 2K res.
I’m going to lock it back to 40 fps though as I don’t see any real difference between 60 and 40, no point hammering my GPU for something I can’t see. So far very positive results.

2 Likes

Running it on 1080p 5600x /w 2070s. DLSS /w quality settings look like the image got upscaled to like 1.5x, shimmering is indeed gone and well, antialiasing is the best it’s been in the game. I haven’t looked the dev-options yet, but it sure feels as the frametimes have improved.

If anyone decides to try it and finds that the DLSS is ghosting ie. like version 1.0, just upgrade your drivers to latest and that’s that.

I’ve seen ghosting in the glass panel textures, but only there. I’m running the Game Ready drivers.