Nvidia DLSS support

What I noticed immediately is how blurry the dashboard instruments are on the right side compared to the left side. For me that’s the main negative point of any upscaling technology, doesn’t matter if it’s DLSS or lower render scale with TAA in MSFS. The difference is light and day.
Having crystal clear cockpit displays, especially for the digital ones is critical for me. It’s what I look at most of the time. If they’re blurry it strains my eyes.
So in my case any upscaling will not work. I’d rather lower the graphic details than lower the resolution.

Previously I had a 2080Ti which worked fine in 2D (4k monitor) and so-so on my Reverb G2. Now I got a 3080Ti and 2D is zero issues (on Ultra) and I can pull of 100% render scale in VR also with slightly lowered settings.

Even at 100% on both in game and OXR I find it less than crystal clear (G2, 3090) compared to other games like IL2 for example… thus rather than the pure performance aspect I’m mostly interested in DLSS to render at a higher effective resolution (in effect “free” higher super sampling) and as a different form of anti aliasing to see if IQ can be improved.

Also as mentioned while it can’t be confirmed I suspect that promo video was showing performance mode, looking at the graphs quality mode is more like ~30% perf gain in ACC while the video was 50 - over 100% perf gains.

It depends on the implementation. Some games look better defined (ie: Death Stranding) with DLSS ON than without.

Think they needed DLSS just to render that shirt at a decent frame rate :joy:

1 Like

the new DLSS looks super promising, eliminates ghosting also.
i tested it on cyberpunk, looks fantastic.
Pretty please Seb :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

It’s you that doesn’t have a clue, lol.

I used DLSS for the first time in Red Dead Redemption 2 and wow I’m impressed providing RDR2 is one of the most demanding titles on PC.
I’m running an rtx2060super on a 3440x1440 monitor and was only getting 45fps on high settings. Used DLSS quality and boom 55fps with little to no lost in image quality.

Fps varies from 30s to 40s on a mix of High and Ultra in MSFS and I could only imagine the bump it would bring to this sim.

Anyone denying what DLSS can do seriously do you even own an RTX Nvidia card?

This is an amazing accomplishment from Nvidia and will only getting from here.

7 Likes

I wish Asobo would tell us when we can expect Nvidia DLSS support. That would be a total game changer for me. I have rtx 3060 Ti and I would welcome few extra fps on 4k / Ultra with open arms.

They said they might consider looking into it after the transition to DirectX 12 is complete and the engine team is less busy. No guarantee it will ever be supported though.

As mentioned in today’s Q&A session, DLSS support is being prototyped as part of the DirectX 12 branch, which is planned for release with Sim Update 10 but could come later. They said it’s working very well and they were very impressed with the quality and performance boost at higher resolutions.

9 Likes

Yes, but unfortunately they didn’t say anything about AMD cards (FSR). And I think AMD has also been installed in the XBox recently.
That doesn’t simplify the decision for the next graphics card, or does it just now? :wink:

1 Like

Agreed! They seemed rather dismissive of FSR in a past Q&A so I hope they reconsider about that too (and the newer XeSS as well). This is relevant for non-RTX card owners as well, not just AMD.

Make sure to support the following thread regarding FSR.

1 Like

They work on DLSS as priority also because most of the people own a Nvidia card, so you reach a bigger audience. Numbers are everything.
I’m sure they’ll work on FSR as well.

Same for VR, numbers show that the most owned headset is the Quest 2 so if they ever release a specific feature, I’m sure it will be something for this headset first. (Hand Tracking, ASW 2.0, etc)

2 Likes

I’m glad they finally gave another chance to DLSS. As I said months ago, they first tested it when the sim was heavily CPU limited, so DLSS is less interesting in such scenario. Now they optimized the CPU threads management, they saw the light.

Good! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Very good news Asobo finally getting DLSS into the sim.
As for the FSR, it is already present in the sim rendering engine in some form and augmented with the scaling slider and the TAA setting - that is basically that. There is also AMD CAS in there, soem very good shaders from the FidelityFX suite.

Now it is time to implement the next level thing such as AI super-sampling and I am sure Intel’s XeSS and also some type of AMD’s super-sampling/convolution/AI deep learning stuff. I am sure AMD is working on their solution and the FSR was actually just a small first start to give something to the gaming community.

1 Like

The trouble with your theory is that, while the majority of the harder core PC simmers might be using Nvidia I’d imagine that with AMD RDNA2 users, a combined number of Xbox and PC users will actually be a bigger number than those who use Nvidia.

Now I’m not an expert in the Xbox API, a problem might be that system might of already maxed out the capabilities of the Xbox Gpu, thus there might be no overhead available to use FSR for MSFS. But maybe the opposite of this true.

I’m sure others will have more knowledge of this than me.

There is surely overhead left, there always is per design.
*EDIT Forgot - well the FSR would be a good thing had the Xbox GPU capability been maxed. Such thing as FSR would ease up the job for the GPU.
Butthe FSR is already in the sim. And in the PC version as well, done job back in July. Trust me, I know. :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

OK then. Where do I enable FSR in the settings, I must of missed Asobo’s announcement of FSR’s implementation within the sim, or do you mean Asobo have version version of FSR?

Asobo also said they sort of have a version of Ray Tracing, but we all know it’s not Ray Tracing that is in other AAA games that have Ray Tracing enabled.

No, it’s not like that, we cannot find the option for the feature. It is something like what you mention - they have the whole range of AMD FidelityFX technologies and they designed and optimized their customized versio nof FSR. I mean, even by looking at features and the graphical options together with the TAA and the scaler I can see they use something like FSR.

Well no. This is a bit related to the business, I’d drop it here, please…
But the ray tracing thing. They indeed use the ray traced reflection and shadow denoiser. The denoiser :-). Imean come on, that’s something! :wink:
It’s from FidelityFX suite by AMD, they are important partner with AMD in that regard as well, so they were among the first devs to have had access to novel shaders from that suite.

The only FidelityFX feature they have implemented is CAS, which replaced Asobo’s sharpening filter back with Sim Update 1. This can be confirmed on AMD’s official website, no other FidelityFX technology has been implemented.

Right now the simulator features either typical bilinear upscaling (when TAA is off), or temporal upsampling (when TAA is on) which is made by Asobo. This means that presently there is nothing like FSR in the game, which includes a spatial upscaling pass using a customised Lanczos filter, edge reconstruction to reduce artifacts, and a sharpening pass. Its official implementation continues to be a valid request.

1 Like