Nvidia Driver Confusion

Is there a consensus on which Nvidia driver is best to eliminate or at least mitigate stutters? I’ve been searching this forum and it looks like it’s all over the place, but maybe I just didn’t find the right post. I’d rather not try a dozen different drivers, but I will if I have to.

Valve Index
2080 ti
3900x
32GB @ 3600

1 Like

I run the latest version has been no different since the first Microsoft specific driver update.
Just install the latest version and see most of the stutters aren’t even down to drivers.

3 Likes

Good enough for me… thanks. Maybe I’ll run DDU then reinstall it to make sure everything is clean from the start.

1 Like

Hello Frank. It would seem not everyone is getting the same results by different drivers. You really should try a few of them to see how it does for you. I personally got a massive boost with the 446 drivers (i have rtx 2070). And i mean massive. While my friend with gtx 1070 didn’t notice any difference. I suggest you try these and test what works best for you:

446, 452, 457 and the latest driver. Naturally, if you don’t notice any difference, stick with the latest driver.

Best regards

1 Like

Can you guys help me. I chatted with Microsoft and the CSR just sent me the link to this site. He was no help. My son wants to be a pilot one day like his grandfather. His grandfather gave him a joystick to use with Flight Simulator, along with some disc titled FlightGear 2020 to use on his computer. His gaming computer is 6 years old, so it will not support Flight Simulator or these disc. All these specs are foreign to me. It’s truly like a different language. I found a pretty good deal on a newer gaming computers and just want to know if the specs will run Flight Simulator. Here is what they are:

This one is $500 - Nvidia Geforce GTX 1650 Super with 4gb GDDR6, AMD Ryzen 5 3500, 6 core, 8gb DDR4-2666 DSRAM, 256gb SSD, 3.40 GHZ

And this one for $460 Gaming Pc
Graphics card: gtx 1060ti
CPU: Core i5
Ram: 16gb
Psu: 450W
Hdd: 2tb
Ssd: 240gb (boot drive)
Wireless WiF

Thanks in advance for your help!

You will not be happy with this system nor your son.

Look at requirements here the minimum is just that it will run but but it will struggle.

Anything less then the recommended is a waste of money

Recommended
Your device should meet these requirements for the best experience
OS Windows 10 version 18362.0 or higher
Architecture x64
Keyboard Integrated Keyboard
Mouse Integrated Mouse
DirectX Version 11
Memory 16 GB
Video Memory 4 GB
Processor Intel i5-8400 | AMD Ryzen 5 1500X
Graphics NVIDIA GTX 970 | AMD Radeon RX 590

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I’ll pass on this one. I don’t know what all those specs mean, so I don’t know which one is better or meets requirements. I’ve found a few others. Would you mind looking at the specs to tell me if any would run the simulator adequately? There are 4 other options here. Thanks in advance for your help!!!

• Evga Rtx 2060 KO
  • i5 9600k (Unlocked Overclock)
  • 256gb ssd
  • 16GB of DDR4 Ram @3200mhz
  • 500gb hdd
  • Wifi / Bluetooth
  • Windows 10 Pro
    This PC can handle most games at max settings with no problem. It has an i5 9600k paired with an RTX 2060.

Gigabyte b450 auros m motherboard
Gtx 1050 Ti graphics card
Ryzen 5 1500x cpu
16gb g skill ddr4 ram
500w 80+ bronze power supply
250gb Samsung ssd
500gb wd blue HDD

CyberPowerPC - Gamer Master Gaming Desktop - AMD Ryzen 3 2300X - 8GB Memory - AMD Radeon RX 560 2GB - 1TB HDD

Nvidia Gforce GTX 1650 Super with AMD RYZEN 5 3500 and 256 GB SSD

Hi, I had a hp Xeon based pc with a GTX1650 GPU with 16gb of ram and a 1 TB SSD.

It was definitely very playable with a 2k resolution on medium settings.
Only if the environment is dense you notice the GPU got a hard time.
If you like to enjoy the beautiful scenerys in the sim you can better take a 20 serie GPU or higher but if it is for flight procedure training the 1650 does do the job very well.
If you like flying on 4k with all settings on ultra a 2080ti would even disappoint you.

My setup is Ryzen 7 with 32gb ram and a 2080ti so I know this from experience.

1 Like

So do any of the 4 listed above in my post meet requirements? Would you suggest any of them? If so, which one or two are better for using MWFS? If none of them, I’ll keep looking. Honestly, I don’t know what any of that means. I’m a mom trying to get my son a working computer. My father in law calls each day to ask my son if he’s been able to use his joystick and/or disc. I’m on a limited budget, but I’ve got to find something so he can use these things his grandfather gave him. He also received a VR, the one made by Playstation, that he wants to use with MWFS, if possible, but not necessary. Again, thanks in advance for your help!!

Go for the gtx2060 based system it’s the fastest gpu in the list. Don’t have experience with a ps vr only a Pimax 5k plus and I was able to play the sim in VR although it was a bit fuzzy on my 1650 based pc.

2 Likes

The computers you listed before would run Xplane 11

1 Like

Sorry I cannot back this statement.
Like I said earlier in my old 1650 based system I was able to play the sim even with a Pimax 5k.

Of course you cannot set the sim on the highest settings but this is not always necessary.

If you like to play fs2020 flat out you need a several 1000k computer.

Choose the system what suit your budget.

1 Like

Is that the same as RTX2060, the Evga RTX 2060 KO? Sorry, I’m completely lost when it comes to computers.

Xplane 11 is a downloadable program? Separate from Flight Simulator? My son is very much a beginner. He got the Logitech X30 joystick with the FlightGear 2020 disc.

That’s correct about the rtx2060 it’s the fastest card in your list.
My experience is only for ms fs2020 this sim is a very power hungry simulator so I expect that flight gear runs very smooth.

I’ve been offered one more. It’s an Intel i7-4790, Intel 64 Family 6 Model 60 stepping 3 @3.60ghz, SOCKETT 1150

I’m just relaying what was sent to me. Would you still choose the RTX2060?

Again, thank you so much for helping this mama out!!!

The pc with i7 cpu is faster then the i5 based system with the gtx2060 gpu.

But i do not see specs for the GPU in your last post.

The GPU (graphic card) is necessary for calculating what you see on your monitor and for games the most important part.

At this point my choice is still the i5 with the gtx2060
Because cpu speed is less important then GPU speed for games.

1 Like

Refer to this post.

457.30 is the best driver in my opinion and many others m. We have also seen improvements in other VR sims. For better performance optimization follow the recommendations in that thread. They have helped many of us greatly improve our performance and VR experience.

2 Likes

This is for those who cannot solve stutter issues.

I started with a 2700x and RTX2070S. I ended up running the Nvidia Studio drivers and was happy with the performance. Weeks went buy where I could not run the sim due to downloading issues and updates that broke things.

Upgraded to a 3800x and latest Nvidia drivers. Stutters and pauses back. Ended up with the Studio drivers again. Not totally gone, can see them if I look for them. I’m staying this way with these drivers until an update breaks something again.

Never used DDU or VR. Naturally, the Studio drivers may not be the Magic Bullet as it may be a setting I changed some where.

So, your mileage may vary. Something else to try.

Thanks for the reply. I’ll pass on this one. I don’t know what all those specs mean, so I don’t know which one is better or meets requirements. I’ve found a few others. Would you mind looking at the specs to tell me if any would run the simulator adequately? There are 4 other options here. Thanks in advance for your help!!!

• Evga Rtx 2060 KO
  • i5 9600k (Unlocked Overclock)
  • 256gb ssd Change to 1TB SSD extra $100 to $200
  • 16GB of DDR4 Ram @3200mhz
  • 500gb hdd change to 1TB HDD extra $50
  • Wifi / Bluetooth
  • Windows 10 Pro
    This PC can handle most games at max settings with no problem. It has an i5 9600k paired with an RTX 2060.

This would be a good entry level the only change is a 1TB SSD and 1TB HDD

1 Like