NEW Nvidia Drivers: GeForce WHQL 516.94 - Nvidia has issued a security warning for it's GPU drivers on 4/8/2022)

I dunno if any of you guys were with nvidia at the very end of the 8800 series’ viable lifespan, but they released a driver very similar to this in 2010 or 2011 that ended up killing a boatload of those aged 8800s.
I’ve seen reports of everything from gpus idling 10-15c higher to people experiencing random bluescreens on 456.38. Fortnite is also apparently broken across the board with random crashes.
Honestly, I would advise everyone to roll back. It might be a bit alarmist because I’ve only ever seen one WHQL certified gpu driver actually destroy hardware, but it happened to my hardware, so I’m really cautious about this kind of stuff now… especially with how expensive gpus have become.

Got about a 15% fps boost after the nvidia driver update to 456.38. For some reason it killed all my custom graphics settings in MSFS and had to reset them.
2080 MAX 8gb and i7-9750 2.6-4.5ghz boost, 4.ghz stable on 6 core / 12 threaded.

1 Like

So here goes. I’ve never done youtube uploading before - it takes a while! These videos are a bit long, but you’ll get the idea. I think the recording video hits FPS a bit and definitely introduced some small stutters over Toronto. The first video is using 456.02 (I think that’s the number - the last geforce released driver). The second two are on 456.38.

I have not noticed any material difference between the two. I did a before and after for Totonto, and thought I was seeing a smll drop in frame on the 456.38 driver, but really it is difficult to be sure. I also realised - too late - that the video doesn’t record the nvidia FPS overlay - so my FPS isn’t shown here.

I was getting 30-40 in Toronto and 50+ for the Jan Mayen and Saba.

I also recorded these at 60fps setting (although quite what it does when the fps is actually lower than 60, I’ve no idea) and at 1440p.

Let me know what you think

(try not to laugh at my attempted landing!)

1 Like

I cant even get the game started now after the latest nvidia driver. Even rolled it back and no luck. I played it just before the new driver update. Any ideas??? I got the black screens and thats it.
Downloaded from geforce experience where i always go…

i76700k
1080ti gigabyte aorus
adata 2gb ssd m.2 ( just for flight sim)
Running 3 acer 27 inch screens

Same exact problem. Was playing last week, not sure when, but sometime before the patch. There was also a recent Windows update, I played before that. Now, after the driver update, it is stuck in the loading screen with the TBM 930. Usually the blue loading bar shows up at some point, it’s no longer the case, just stuck there forever (waited for ~30min).

I rolled back the driver to 452.06 and it’s still not working. I can’t tell if the bug is from MSFS or the driver. I haven’t updated MSFS yet, and the drivers are rolled-back… weird.

I tried to install the xbox app according to other threads and solutions but I can’t even install it. It also get stuck when pressing “Install”. It hangs there forever (waited also another ~30min).

My setup:
i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz
GTX 1060
HDD 1To

Someone tried the new drivers Nvidia in sim??? Is better? Worse?

Can’t say I have ever noticed a noticeable difference with a driver update ever to be honest.

But before and after this driver update specifically it seemed exactly the same.

2 Likes

You do know that different cards have different driver updates so if you don’t say what card then it don’t mean diddly squat to anyone?

2 Likes

SybecAero - If you have nothing constructive to contribute, shut the hell up and don’t reply to posts. Besides, you’re wrong. The current driver for any remotely recent card is the one Skillerjs6 cited.

Skillerjs6 - Sadly no change for me on both a 1060 and mobile 2070. Weirdly the older card seems to be handling things much better overall still.

Hi. Has anybody used the new 456.38 Nvidia driver for MSFS? https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/geforce-rtx-3080-3090-game-ready-driver/

If you are using the new 456.38 Nvidia drivers, did you see an increase with FPS, decrease with FPS, or about the same performance? What CPU, graphics card, amount of RAM are you using and what resolution & settings are you playing with?

Hi.
No changes in FPS. Runs well and stably. FS 1.8.3.
AMD 3600, 32 GB, GPU 1650, 1080P, default settings.
After the update to 1.8.3 I had to switch back to standard. Before FS was crashing to the desktop during flight.

2 Likes

Thanks for reporting back, it seems to be focused on adding support to the new RTX 30 cards. I will skip it for now, don’t want to risk breaking anything here :grimacing:

I have updated and it works very well. Getting good results on my Dell G5587 laptop with 16 gig ram and 1060 Nvidia GPU.

The new drivers change the FPS counter in the Nvidia overlay. I don’t like it so I reverted back.

1 Like

Updated to newest driver and see no changes (improvements or negative)

3 Likes

Dell G3 3579 laptop
Intel i7-8750H
GTX 1050 Ti

Can’t tell any difference with new nvidia drivers. Seems stable.

4 Likes

I cant even get the game started now after the latest nvidia driver. Even rolled it back and no luck. I played it just before the new driver update. Any ideas???
i76700k
1080ti gigabyte aorus
adata 2gb ssd m.2 ( just for flight sim)
Running 3 acer 27 inch screens

Updated, can’t tell any difference. Working fine here.

3 Likes

All ok after update.
Also did not affect Navigraph beta or SPAD :+1:

Having some MAJOR fps drops.

I have a 2080ti. From what I can see, FS isn’t using any ofmy GPU and it’s sitting at like 30% usage over Chicago, and I’m getting 5 fps. . .

I’d rather it use 90% GPU and get 30 FPS over Chicago than use 30% and get 5fps. . . rolling back, hopefully this fixes it.

Few days ago I was getting 30-40 fps in chicago?