Nvidia's DLDSR improves visual quality on driver level

**EDIT: Linus did an explanatory video on the topic, finally.
Did Nvidia Just Do Us A Favor? - DLDSR Explained - YouTube

Short version:

DLDSR uses Tensor cores to improve visual quality by rendering more efficiently at higher resolutions and downscaling to the native resolution of your monitor.
Especially interesting for folks with monitor resolutions < 4k to get near 4k quality more efficiently then with the ingame render resolution.
For now only recommended for people with higher tier cards as it still costs you some frames, yet way less the with the older DSR.
Could be possibly used in combination with DLSS (when implemented) to cut costs of render processing even further and then it should be interesting for average mid tier (Nvidia) cards, too.

My initial, now outdated post…

Many requested DLSS for our beloved sim, Nvidia kind of delivers on January, 14th with

DLDSR (Deep Learning Dynamic Super Resolution)

They don’t want to brand it DLSS, yet it seems to be the very same technology and improves over DSR by using the Tensor cores for Machine Learning.
EDIT: Unsure if DLDSR could be used as DLSS to improve fps, seems to be more targeted to use the DLSS-gained performance to improve quality.

To quote Nvidia:

Our January 14th Game Ready Driver updates the NVIDIA DSR feature with AI. DLDSR (Deep Learning Dynamic Super Resolution) renders a game at higher, more detailed resolution before intelligently shrinking the result back down to the resolution of your monitor. This downsampling method improves image quality by enhancing detail, smoothing edges, and reducing shimmering.

DLDSR improves upon DSR by adding an AI network that requires fewer input pixels, making the image quality of DLDSR 2.25X comparable to that of DSR 4X, but with higher performance. DLDSR works in most games on GeForce RTX GPUs, thanks to their Tensor Cores.

God of War NVIDIA DLSS & Reflex Game Ready Driver Launching January 14th - Download and Install For The Definitive Experience | GeForce News | NVIDIA

• SSRTGI (Screen Space Ray Traced Global Illumination), commonly known as the “Ray Tracing ReShade Filter” enhances lighting and shadows of your favorite titles to create a greater sense of depth and realism.
  • SSAO (Screen Space Ambient Occlusion) emphasizes the appearance of shadows near the intersections of 3D objects, especially within dimly lit/indoor environments.
  • Dynamic DOF (Depth of Field) applies bokeh-style blur based on the proximity of objects within the scene giving your game a more cinematic suspenseful feel.

EDIT: MSFS is part of the NVIDIA list that should receive “freestyle” filters, yet the new ones aren’t available via the Nvidia overlay.

Let’s see if it works out for our sim!
Cheers :blue_heart:

2 Likes

Looks interesting, I think the feature your referring to is actually a downsampling filter I.e render at a higher resolution and downsample to your monitor resolution. The difference is this version uses AI to render at a higher resolution more efficiently. This won’t provide any framerate improvement I don’t think.

The ssrtgi shader looks interesting though, not sure what it’d look like on the terrain but it should improve the lighting in cockpits a bit.

2 Likes

That’s a good point, maybe as DLSS is targeting improved performance, DLDSR is designed to use the algorithm for quality improvements at the same framerate level.

As long as we are driving with DX11 i am more often then not CPU-limited, so regarding fps it doesn’t make much difference for me. And i would be very happy to get the beauty benefits of a higher render resolution while running native res ingame for no performance costs.

No one tested yet?

Driver installed and working well so far on my Ryzen 3700X/ 2070 Super setup.

Defintely feels a bit smoother when panning the view from within the cockpit. No noticeable change in performance from the previous driver otherwise though.

My native res is 2560 x 1440 and I have tried the DLDSR at 2.25x and it works fine but I can’t see any difference in image quality. Is there anything else I need to do other than select it in the nvidia control panel?

The other thing I’m not sure about is the additional freestyle filters they mentioned.

• SSRTGI (Screen Space Ray Traced Global Illumination), commonly known as the “Ray Tracing ReShade Filter” enhances lighting and shadows of your favorite titles to create a greater sense of depth and realism.
  • SSAO (Screen Space Ambient Occlusion) emphasizes the appearance of shadows near the intersections of 3D objects, especially within dimly lit/indoor environments.
  • Dynamic DOF (Depth of Field) applies bokeh-style blur based on the proximity of objects within the scene giving your game a more cinematic suspenseful feel.

I use the freestyle Colour/detail/Brightness & contrast filters all the time but I can’t see the three new ones listed above. When I press Alt F3 and add filter there’s no new ones listed.
I have the latest version of Geforce experience and have tried reinstalling it & restarted PC but I don’t see any new filters?

I see auto depth of field, but that’s about it.

1 Like

About to right now! If you are already on a high resolution you’ll see no benefit.I will stick to running native resolution.
@XTCQuinn Did you select the resolution in the sim and then lowered the render scale? That is what I did and the sim appeared a bit blurry.

How does this impact MSFS? They don’t even have DLSS implemented?

I am running native 1440p in the sim and DLDSR with Factor 2,25x and it looks nearly as sharp and detailed as 4k. Huge difference, and all that while running nearly my native fps, as long as i am not running into the CPU limitation of DX11. Some aliasing noticable in the medium-far range, but i guess for that reason they have that Depth of Field option within the Nvidia Overlay or the ingame option.

Works great for me! :blue_heart:

1 Like

and why the hell it is not for me? I have Samsung G9 ultrawide with 5120 x 1440. There is not NIS and no DRS.

What gpu are you running? Make sure you are on the latest driver.
I’d say the feature is not worth it if you run that type of monitor it’s going to give you a massive performance depending on your card.
What we need is dlss implementation if it ever happens.

using a 3080 and the last driver over GFE, clean install. Experientelle is on in GFE.

It’s there under DSR factors, DL scaling. 5120x1440 upscaled will tank your performance even with a 3080.

DLDSR downscales Its supposed to down scale from a higher resolution than your monitors res with little impact on performance.

Here’s the thing its not really doing that.It works more like an upscaler at least from my test.I’m starting to believe Nvidia less these days.
Defintely had a performance impact on my system.

did just try something found dsr set 2.25dl only performance was the same. But if I also ticked a dsr factor setting option it tanked performance, assume you haven’t done that. though I have had to turn the hardware acceleration back off as the sim crashes with it on again after his driver update.

1 Like

but there is no DSR for me

Only tick the dl option, it’s stupid that they allow to tick several options at once. Performance is stable, yet the upgrade in grapics is amazing if you’re coming from 1080p or 1440p. Looks 90% 4k…

I think a lot of people are misunderstanding the term Depth of field.

It does not do anything for your view from the cockpit like a LOD setting.
It is a photgraphic effect that can be used to make some pretty screenshots by limiting the range of what is in and out of focus.

When you have a large aperature on your camera lens the depth of field is low and when you have a small aperature your depth of field is higher. It’s often used in photography to isolate the thing you want to be in sharp focus from the foreground or background.

for example, here the photographer has used a low depth of field to make the background out of focus

1 Like

Ryzen 7 3700X, Nvidia 3700 Ti, 3440x1440, TAA vs. DLDSR:
No difference in FPS but TAA looks better. Better AA and with DLDSR the trees are flickering a bit.
Will stay with TAA