Oculus rift S wobble?

hi, ive been using the quest 2 and its good, but wanted to try a headset that plugs directly into the display port of a PC to compare, so i got a Rift S, and its pretty good, i seem to be able to play at higher settings in MSFS no doubt because it dosent have to decompress like the quest due to using USB, however, i notice a distinct wobblyness to the rift S, especially when i move my head, i also see almost liked a fringing on objects like the wing struts in my Cessna 152, window edges etc,

maybe this is due to the refresh rate, i cant seem to change resolution or refresh rate in the oculus software like i can with the quest 2, the Rift S only gives me a 3 choice setting, video, performance or auto… and no refresh rate settings at all…
any thoughts appreciated, thanks

I think the wobbliness/fringing is due to the ‘asynchronous space warp’ which occulus uses to smooth frames- you can disable it using the Occulus debug tool or Occulus tray tool. I much prefer it disabled due to the issues you mention, but others seem to swear by it for smoothing low FPS. Using the OTT you can lock it to 18hz, 30hz or 45hz.
There’s also a thread on the Rift CV1 on these forums with some good tips that have worked for me.

1 Like

thanks for the info pal, something to tinker with for sure :slightly_smiling_face:
for now, i seemed to have fixed it by using Oculus tray tool to set supersampling to 1.5… seems a lot smoother and sharper too :+1:
in the OTT, i just set the AWS to auto as i dont know how to use it properly yet.

1 Like

:+1: Out of interest, how does the image quality of the Rift S compare to the Quest 2?

not a huge difference TBH quest 2 only about 10% better. but rift s much more comfy

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.