Oculus v26 flickering/white flashes

good suggestions thanks

V24 might not be a major biggy anyway. I’ve never bothered with Oculus home and I’ve had it for about 5 years now.

I guess I’m never going to be an internal decorator. :slight_smile:

1 Like

yeah, that’s the world we live in :stuck_out_tongue: how many times I was devasted after mfs updates… And those are forced too. I’m glad there’s sth that can be done about oculus updates. : )

Yes copied your pdf earlier. Staging and temp in the folder to block updates. Let’s see what happens with v27, just don’t a 40 min flight. No flashes. Only stuttering due to unreal weather mod. Other than that I’m chuffed.

i replaced my support folder with this folder but in the settings menu it still says Oculus App Version 26.1.0.41.502 (26.1.0.41.502)

1 Like

Same for me, still says v26, but it’s working at least! I think I read somewhere the version number wont change!

yeah it says v26 but i tested it now and it works

Yeah got to give a big thanks to michalopole818, it’s playable now so let’s hope oculus will get their acts together and fix this one and for all soon. But it’s been 2 newer versions now and nothing about this issue, I don’t even think oculus cares?

Yes it happens with the official (grossly overpriced) oculus cable :-/

Good to know, can’t believe they charge £80 for a cable

@michalopole818 Thank you for the zip file, I had already deactivated the developer version because I had these white flashes with the CV1, but when I saw that they had passed the base version V26 with these white flashes, I was disgusted.
On the other hand, I am still in V26 when I look in the settings, but I no longer have the white flashes.

What exactly are the “Staging” and “tmp” files because they don’t have an extension?
In any case if it could block bets that do not concern my CV1 that would be great.

1 Like

@michalopole818 Your instructions say: “in task manager, close OVR Service”. I have 3 Oculus processes running, which one or ones do I close?

1. OVR Redir
  2. OVR Service Launcher
  3. OVRServer_x64.exe

My gut says #2 but just checking…

Look forward to your reply - or anyone’s reply on this!

Thank you!

My gut says second one too : ) but close all of them to be sure it does no harm, they will reopen when you will open up oculus, and you need them closed (or one of them closed, second one? ;P) to rename and paste new support folder.

hey, yeah guys don’t bother with the oculus version name in the menu. I guess changing some other file in other oculus folder would change that but it’s just cosmetics. As far as staging and tmp those are just empty text files with txt extension removed. You can make your own :wink: there are there so oculus can’t create temp and staging folders in which it keeps new updates and force update you back to v26.

hey, yeah guys don’t bother with the oculus version name in the menu. I guess changing some other file in other oculus folder would change that but it’s just cosmetics

Until you will not erase staging and temp files you can stand on v24 indefinietely. I see no reason to move past that one really. v25 made things worse, v26 made things worse… again. And they accepted both of those past beta, what good can v27 bring?

@michalopole818

I chose to close #2 and all seems as it should. Running smoothly again - thank you very much! I will continue to monitor how the community reviews and rates updates to come and if one seems to pass most peoples’ test, I’ll give that one a try but it’s nice knowing I can always come back to v24.

1 Like

exactly, it’s nice to have that option as I mentioned before v25 was perfomance hit, v26 introduced flashes… both were passed as out of beta, so what hope there is for 27 which will be combination of those two with whatever gimmick on top. I’m not updating at least they will somehow make me to :PPP

and glad it worked for you.

I’m doing the same thing…FS 2020 (MS store version) with Virtual Desktop and StreamXR .

It’s so much nicer being wireless. That Link cable is such a pain in the butt!

It looks like they are just there to stop the Oculus update software creating the folders of the same name, to hold the updated files before installation, and therefore stop the update process.

I started up my PC this morning to find Oculus trying to update. I told it to wait 4 hours and applied all of your suggested changes, reverting back to v24.

It seems to work great, although for some reason, i did need to recreate my desktop shortcut for the Oculus debug tool, which of course, resides in the new Support folder. I would have thought that would still have worked, but maybe renaming the support folder also adjusts any previously created shortcuts to still point to its contents, ie the ‘2Support’ version.