[OFFICIAL] Community Fly-in Thursday - Icon A5 Journey through the Italian Alps

This event takes place this Thursday.

We will be hosting an Official Fly-in alongside a group of community members (you!) on Twitch. This is an open event, free to those who would like to fly along with us and available for all skill levels. The goal is to have a great time, explore new locations of the world, and make new friends.

Flight plans will be brought to you by @Pieter1982NL and your regular hosts will be @simtom2 and @Jummivana.

When: Thursday, 1800Z, for two hours.
Where: The Official Twitch Channel of MSFS

There will also be a Discord event channel open for those who want to voice chat.

Please see below for details on the upcoming Fly-In Event on September 10th.

10.09 FLIGHT DETAILS

Screenshot by @simtom2

Come join us on this Icon-ic flight through the Italian Alps, where we’ll be visiting - and landing on - some famous Italian lakes like Lago Maggiore, Lago di Lugano and Lago di Como.

After our visit to these three beautiful lakes we’ll continue our journey eastwards through the Valtellina valley, followed by a northwards route to Bormio.

Once there, pilots will be required to use all of their piloting skills to do a challenging ascent to our final destination: Lago di Cancano.

For those looking for an extension to their Italian Alps visit, you can continue along (and cross the Swiss border) the flight route towards Lago Bianco (Switzerland), and finally Sankt Moritz.

Screenshots by @simtom2

PLANNING

We will be using the Icon A5 for this flight.

Although we will use the “All player” setting, using live weather is greatly encouraged. If conditions deteriorate during flight we will switch to broken clouds or high clouds.

Please load your aircraft 15 minutes prior to take off and taxi over to the taxiway or parking.

Around 5 minutes prior to take off begin taxiing to the active runway (will be announced). We will do a parallel start and after that start departing to the east.

WEATHER

We will use live weather. However, if conditions are unfavorable, we will select a weather preset with the same UTC time.

MULTIPLAYER SETTINGS

Please adhere to the following settings so you can see everyone / be seen by everyone.

Variable Setting
Server West Europe
Multiplayer All
Live traffic As desired
Weather Live

COMMUNICATION

To communicate with others, a voice channel on the "Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Discord” at https://discord.gg/msfs will be available to join.

It is advised in this flight to turn off both aircraft collisions and terrain collisions. If you do crash, you can use “slew” mode to join the pack. If the pack will be too scattered before the first stop, we will use slew on a defined point to regroup.

FLIGHT PLAN

A .PLN file is provided by the following link:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1rUPO6JdJP0fkG4iis9nrbtUzXt86I7Q8

To use the flight plan, follow these steps:

1. Download the flight plan to a easy-to-remember location
  2. Open MSFS
  3. Go to the globe
  4. Click “Load/Save” on the bottom of your screen
  5. Click “Load”
  6. Navigate to the downloaded flight plan
  7. Click load.

LET’S FLY

This is meant to be a fun and informal flight. Everybody is welcome, no matter the amount of experience.

15 Likes

If anyone is particularly well versed in the landscape and culture of the area we are flying in DM me! Would love to have you on the stream!

Awesome route, thanks everyone!

(sorry for the lack of trees, don’t know what happened)

1 Like

My trees also disappeared.

Enjoyed flying along though, thanks all!

1 Like

A few of the shots I grabbed tonight. First being Live Time before changing it

3 Likes

Thanks for this great route!

!
!

3 Likes

Unfortunately my connection couldn’t keep up with the stream, but I still had lots of fun. The flight plan was excellent!

I was always late for the water landings as a result but I managed to do all of them. It made me love the Icon A5 even more. Here’s a quick screenshot from a river.

3 Likes

Unfortunately have to drop graphics from ultra to high or medium during these large multi sessions, but still beautiful anyway :slight_smile:

Included the nasty bit of weather those of us with live WX had to deal with at then end, was complete zero visibility :smiley:

Cool to see there were a couple of others with the best A5 livery :stuck_out_tongue:

At the end I had the issue with all my cockpit controls and the drone camera controls not working anymore…

5 Likes

I really like this one! :+1:t2:

3 Likes

My apologies for the crash at the end! :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

4 Likes

Love that first shot, where only my tag is displayed :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
How’d that happen?
Anyways, thanks for that awesome trip! Beautiful route!

1 Like

That nasty cloud threw me off so much that I missed the rest of the group towards the end. Had to switch out of live weather unfortunately.

If I may make a suggestion, could the hosts also speak in a separate Discord voice channel while streaming? I couldn’t keep the stream up while flying, and it would be great to hear you guys talk during the session.

I centered myself in the valley using the 3D display in the plane and went into full power climb, then started going to change the weather but popped out before I was done so left it as is and navigated between the mountain and cloud. Then ended up where the hosts said the “challenging climb” was starting with the lake straight in front of me 2000ft below and everyone at the bottom of the valley :smiley:

This thing only goes 110kt at full power but when brought back to 70 it climbs really fast…

1 Like

Is anyone able to shine some light on how the flight plan for this trip was generated?

Thanks everyone, see you next week!

3 Likes

nametags are hidden when player is close enough to you. I assume it’s to reduce cluttering when flying with friends in formation or just messing around in general.

1 Like

We used LittleNavMap to create the route.

Thank you! I’ll mess around with it