Official Discussion: April 7th, 2022 Development Update

Really like the new format for the update. SU 10 is looking to be big

Great improvement of the format. Thanks for this new effort!

I am not a VR user, but I was wondering too why it was not available. VR users feel left behind since a few months now, also because it’s not been taken up the last two Q&A’s. Supposedly the priorities clearly lie somewhere else.

4 Likes

Please bring back VR on the agenda, the promises seems to be long gone?

4 Likes

I beg to differ. This could also lead to the sim’s longest standing issues be put on the back burner, while fixing smaller, recent issues.

1 Like

But WASM for Xbox is listed as under development in today’s update, so it’s at least in the queue. (Which will bring the 247D and the DC-6.)

3 Likes

I’m assuming this has something to do with the announcement of the merging of the wishlists:

4 Likes

Thank you very much for doing this for us. I like the new format very much. Personally I cant wait for DLSS to see how it improves things. Anyway. Great Job fly safe. John

2 Likes

Great work of always being open to change and improve, that’s not something to be taken for granted!

I really like the new format as it bort captures “all-time” issues as well as more recent stuff!

While they’ve been there for a while, I really appreciate the explanations of the top stuff being worked at :slight_smile:

1 Like

They’ve said in the past that the release notes do not contain every single thing that each patch fixes (no reason given). In many of the earlier patches some very important things were omitted, so I tried to ask for more detailed patch notes in a Q&A but the question barely received any interest.

When they added new mesh for the USA back with the USA World Update in October 2020, they had to use a new technique to flatten the water along the coastlines where the mesh data was inconsistent, but a new problem was that at any LOD lower than the highest one, the water would start creeping up along the coastlines.

With the UK World Update (February 2021) they provided a workaround by raising the coastlines globally to prevent the water from creeping up at closer distances. However, this distorts the coastlines visibly, and in some areas they just look extremely ugly. Sebastian said that while they could spend time to improve the algorithm and somewhat mitigate these artifacts, they have chosen to wait for better data instead, at which point they will disable the algorithm (and the workaround I presume).

However, this “Ongoing (World Updates)” status indicates that the issue is improving as World Updates are getting added, when the more detailed mesh is actually making the artifacts look worse. I took a flight in Australia after its update, over an area which looked very decent before, and now it’s just full of extremely steep coastlines that are morphing horribly.

I understand the concern, but as they have said, the Feedback Snapshot and the voting system is only one of their sources for community feedback. I doubt this rework will change their internal priorities much, if at all.

2 Likes

Can we see the full list? This number must come from somewhere.

That was said by Martial in the last Q&A. There’s no full list in existence to my knowledge.

1 Like

Are you sure it’s VRAM usage related? More VRAM usage is usually better, as long as it’s not full. I think it’s a general I/O and memory management issue.

It maybe I just assumed VRAM as it was noticeable that DX12 uses higher VRAM, resulting in MSFS having to use the shared memory

1 Like

Yeah I never liked playing the guessing game when it came release notes or change logs. But I guess it could be worse. Many game/software companies no doubt provide much less information. Thanks for the detailed info on the coastline issue too.

1 Like

Me too. It may cause me to start 4K monitor shopping. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

the dev team ought to set up a quick response squad to fix petty yet irksome bugs that can be easily solved, sometimes it takes a year to see bugs, breaks, and glitches to get fixed if we are lucky or they never attract the attention of the dev team just because the priorities are only based on the number of votes.

Very good news !!!

2 Likes

As much as I want to feel optimistic about the future of MSFS on the Xbox, I am concerned that the WASM fix will take much longer than initially expressed. We were on a good path with the release of the Kodiak (despite the issue it has with the WT G1000nxi), the P-38, and the MiG-29. So, unfortunately, we’ve gone back to the scenery/airport cycle in the marketplace. Again, I want to remain hopeful, but it’s getting more difficult as each Thursday update comes and goes.

1 Like

What happened to multiscreen support? After it looked like it was planned for SU10, it has now fallen back to the Lifetime Wishlist with the status „Started“ … really? :roll_eyes:
This is not good news that after more than a year after a sim was released, there is still no proper multiscreen support.

Many of the old, long-standing bugs that were scheduled for specific SUs have now been pushed to the back burner. The flyback bug is a big example of this. It was planned for pretty much every SU since SU5, and now it’s been thrown to the back burner as well.

And on the multi-monitor support, the 2nd and 3rd last Q&As, Martial said he’d have an update on the next Q&A. And it wasn’t even mentioned in the last Q&A and we never got the promised information.

1 Like

Actually it was originally planned for Sim Update 4, and Asobo did make an attempt to fix it for that update. They thought it was completely fixed until Working Title pointed out some cases where it was still occurring, and then the work was assigned to them. They fixed it for the G1000 NXi, but the other aircraft will have to wait until their avionics are upgraded with the new NXi technology.

The Feedback Snapshot of the previous week explained that they are currently reviewing whether it would be best to release a basic implementation along with Sim Update 10, or hold further until it’s more mature. I think it would be wise for multi-monitor users to let them know which approach they would prefer in its respective thread.

2 Likes