Bell 407

Compared to Dreamfoil’s B407 for X-Plane, Nemeth Designs’ B407 for MSFS misses a few marks. It seems like it was released with an early access or SDK showcase model approach. It feels great to fly and you can definitely tell that the MSFS and Nemeth Designs team put a lot of work into the helicopter aerodynamics and flight model. The power and performance make no sense for some of the operations; it has unrealistic torque values in different modes of flight. The start-up process has some discrepancies and the RPM goes to full even when set on idle. Speaking of idle, you can’t bind the throttle axis to your physical hardware.

Even if you use the mouse to rotate the throttle, it still won’t change the RPM. It has no GTN 750/650 integration on release which is odd since Asobo’s Cabri G2 does. It would also be nice to compliment a 750/650 with HeliSAS, similar to Dreamfoil’s B407. There are some inconsistencies with switches and even in 2D the legibility of text on the instrument panel is just subpar. VR text legibility is far worse somehow as I found it to be an absolute eye-strain of a blurry mess. Little details like interactable pilot and passenger doors, a working overhead panel light, etc would have been nice but not a priority.

I tested the MSFS B407 on a PFT Puma, RTX 3090, i9-10900KF, 128 GB RAM, HP Reverb G2, with in-game textures set to Ultra, and all assists OFF (true to life).

5 Likes