DG Aviation DG-1001E neo

In the Weather Drop Down Menu

2 Likes

I was flying before the towplane on one of my flights, and did not notice or feel that I was ‘glued to the ground’. I did not try a high speed stall, something to try on my next flight. I could not get off the ground on aerotow from any runway at Deeside Gliding Club, (Aboyne). It might be a third-party add-on that I have installed for Aboyne. I collided with something invisible on each aerotow attempt. A winch launch was quite convincing, I did not get much height on account of the short runway at Aboyne and ‘pole bended’ the launch ‘pinging-off’ at the top of the launch. Just enough height to make a dodgy circuit!

BRGDS

Charles.

1 Like

Strangely this issue is occuring only in Ls-8 (your video with wilga also uses ls-8), the training mission uses dg and there you are able to lift before tow. This is some pbvious bug for ls as a single seather it should lift earlier than heavier 2seater dg.

I strongly agree with other points, those are facts.

@Feldgeistlicher
Feedback from very experienced glider/plane devs like DigitalJonx should be admired and valued not shun upon. No other people made so many tests, realism checks etc than devs during developement.
Moreover I know for a fact that all unofficial glider devs helped each other with their separate project, sharing discoveries and additional mechanics like wing flex, winch launch physics, nav computer - it is amazing.
Anyone trying to discredit them clearly has no clue.

2 Likes

Will further test the ground glue. Assumed it was Global Glider issues. Need to do the tutorials haha :smile:

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

Alright, first of all, it is wonderful, that we now have the first implementation of gliding into the sim at all. Great job and thank you.

For future improvement here my first observations going from LOWI to LOIJ, towing out of LOWI along the Inntal northridge, crossing at LOKI to Wilder Kaiser and than to LOIJ plus testing the engine along the way for about 10min.

Handling - Improvements:

• Adverse Yaw too weak (it´s a big wing)
  • String not realistic in response to rudder
  • Spoiler seems not effective enough, at full extension it just adds about -1m/s of sink (but I have to admit, I have flown the DG1000 the last time about 15 years ago). Plus the nose down attitude change when deploying the spoilers along with the speed increase seem excessive.

Tug - Improvements:

• The tug flies about 150km/h and climbs with the heavy DG1000 about 4m/s. This is totally unrealistic for a Cessna 172. Tug climb speed should be around 120 to 130 approximately and in clean air I would expect about 2m/s climb give or take.

LX9000 - Improvements

• The elevation shown in the airport selection page is incorrect. LOIJ is about 700m ASL (670m to be precise, but I didnt set the QNH correctly), however the LX9000 display shows 203m. This is neither the arrival height (which should be zero as I am sitting on the runway) nor the elevation
  • Would be great if the LX could show the arrival height depending on MC setting.

Instrumentation - Improvements

• Edit. Correction. Having a closer look, I just realized that the V80 shows TAS and not IAS as the analogue ASI. So yes a difference is expected.
  • The analog airspeed indicator has a red line btw the green and the yellow section, there should not be one. Only one red line at vne ca. 260km/h.
  • Edit: VSI/vario, the analogue and the V80 seem at times very much out of sync. Yes the V80, depending on the time constant / integration time might be quicker but after some time in steady lift/sink both should show the same value.

Electrical System - Improvement

• After ca. 1hr of flight the instrumentation battery was empty and shut down the instruments, switching to the fin battery helped (great implementation btw). Those instrumentation batteries are usually independent from the engine battery and should last about 14 hrs at least.

Landing - Improvement

• The aircraft stopped too quickly after touch down on its own without braking. This is a big heavy airplane, one can almost roll to the end of the runway, if not breaking. Or are the spoilers linked to the wheel brake? If yes, this would explain the short roll as my spoilers were fully extended.

Thermals - Improvement:

• Edit: see post below. Definitely need a lot of work. Not realistic to placement with regard to geography nor clouds. Focus on this to fix as it is the essential part of gliding and fix the rest later.

Edit: Just checked the DWD Thermal forecast for the Inntal - no thermal whatsoever. But maybe ridge lift in a 15knot easterly breeze.

Sound - Improvement:

• Once you hit thermals it makes that strange sound - like if sails are flapping. Leave it, it´s not realistic. Yes it is a sailplane, but it has no sails :wink:

So the sun is setting soon, time to hangar the DG for the night and sample the local Austrian cuisine, while sharing the gliding stories of the day :slight_smile: .

14 Likes

Quickeviews are incorrect. View doesn’t look in the direction of the hatswitch.

FCU (flight control unit) for FES (front electric sustainer) is wrong! how do I know? I work on FES systems and know them inside-out, I was all one of the first to fly with DG 1001 FES.
for developers of DG1001 please contact me to make it right. We will not stand having the wrong instruments inside!

lpl

6 Likes

That display keeps saying “Check Power Switch” however, regardless of if it’s up (with cover open; suppose it’s on) or down.

2 Likes

That would be great if Asobo use your offer to help. Maybe you could also give some feedback about some edge cases of flight model - like it seems Asobo dg cannot be put into accelerated stall, nose seems to be too much up when towing, how about adverse yaw and stall behaviour?

I don’t think it was something invisible I think it is the rope that suddenly tightens if you slipped past the stopping towplane that drags you around. What do you think?

I would love your input on our Discus-2c FES module as well. Please PM me if you’re interested, and I’ll set you up with a copy. 22kW Motor.

2 Likes

This is something l have only experienced at Aboyne. It only happened on the ground roll during takeoff in every direction and in the last third of the takeoff roll.

Charles.

1 Like

Just flew some more… now I had set up some hot July weather in the Innvalley with nice cummulus and lift off shortly after noon.

Thermals - Improvements:

• The thermals appear in strange place. More over the center of the valley as opposed to the mountain sides or the ridges. This is very counterintuitive.
  • The usual centering strategies dont seem to work either. Yes sometimes, one has days where no thermal is “round”. Here I have only found one “round” thermal in about 2.5 hours and 200km of flying. Maybe it´s me :slight_smile:
2 Likes

I made a video that goes over glider basics in MSFS

2 Likes

Very happy to see the beginnings of gliding implemented!

An improvement that would be nice is:

Adverse Yaw! -

I’ve found that none of the aircraft in the sim have enough (if any) adverse yaw, but this is particularly noticeable in the gliders. IRL you need boot loads of rudder in gliders because of the span and aspect ratio. Would be nice if the sim flight model included adverse yaw. I suspect it’s missing entirely.

6 Likes

Hi. Thanks for your effort. A few well meant hints.

• Landing gear stays out until after release.
  • Reduce your rudder sensitivity a fair bit, that makes it easier to stay behind the tow during the take off run (it is not that hard in real life, as it is in the sim).
  • For landing one usually also flies a traffic circuit at about 200m above ground at around best glide speed (if it is really windy maybe a bit faster). On the downwind leg, the gear comes out. During base start playing with the spoilers (some discourage this, but it is ok). Put them back in during the turn onto final and redeploy during final. Approach speed again still about best glide speed. Play with the spoilers to adjust your glide slope (unfortunately the spoilers have too little effect in the sim, so in most cases you need them full, but this is not how it works in reality). Start the flare about 2 to 3 m above and then keep it close to the ground until the speed fully bleeds away and it settles by itself (if it very windy, you might touch down earlier and approach faster).
4 Likes

This video was meant to just give you an idea of how to get started. As I said in the beginning, I’m not a glider pilot so its really telling you how to use the sim plane, not proper flying. Also, there were very heavy cross winds when I made the video. My rudder sensitivity is low but that mean when you get to the extremes of the rudder it moves very fast. (the 70%-100% area) as almost full rudder was needed at times my rudder was actually undersensitive.

1 Like

There is a bug with MFD (nav computer) display when used in VR (HP Reverb G2 for me).
Initially buttons and text are displayed on MFD correctly:
obraz

But when you change mode (with top right knob) to Setup and then scroll it with Page knob (bottom right) or enter vario settings everything becomes moved a bit up - so for example button markings at the top are barely visible:
obraz
and it stays like that for the rest of the flight.

You can contact me if you need more information about this bug. 100% reproducible, community folder empty.

I agree that the apparent lack of adverse yaw does seem odd compared to the real-life gliders I’ve flown (though with far less experience).

3 Likes