Local Legend III: Dornier Do J Wal

Actually, I think it’s a nice plane.

Only the pax version wants to take off for me, the other 2 are stuck to the water.
No cold and dark (even ctrl + e, wont be able to start it)

Can only get the other 2 to takeoff when I rock the aircraft left and right to get air under the hull and only then will it fly.

I am flying the N25 currently on the Wolfgang Von Gronau trip from the island of Sylt in Germany all the way to New York City. I started the mission and the aircraft was sitting in the water just off the shore of Sylt Island. I started using CTRL-E. I think you have to make sure you select the fuel to one side. Down in the center console? I think that is how I was able to get the engines to fire up. I don’t read German language so the gauges are a little hard to decipher for me, but I moved some switches around down there, hit CTRL-E and it fired up. Try it out.

Hey all,

The video reviews are ready. There is a playlist configured so that you can see all three variants. But without further ado, here you go. Third video has some stalls tested as well.

13 Likes

i got it on lunch break and now back at my desk at work

i will check it out after work

There is a flight manual in the official>onestore>microsoft-aircraft-dornier-doj>documentation folder

Engine starting is described in the tutorial flight section, like this:

Not had a chance to try this yet though.

1 Like

But I have done all that and unfortunately it doesn’t produce results… I am gonna try again in a bit and see if I am able to make it happen.

1 Like

Can confirm from trying the bush trip with the cabin version. It will not start from cold and dark by following the checklist.

Good to know you have a YT channel @BostonJeremy77, you’ve just got yourself another subscriber!

1 Like

For those who are having problems finding suitable places to take off from…just find an airport next to a body of water…click fly and then hit Y to slew the airplane to the water…hit Y again and you are good to go.

2 Likes

Presumably not on xbox version though.

The manual is quite interesting and clears up some things, but raises other questions. For instance, it states that starting was done by flywheels IRL but just HOLDING the mag switches to start is supposed to do that for you (unlike the Wing42 B247 where the flywheel is actually cranked by some poor rampie).

Also, the manual says that the fuel must be pumped up to the engines, which isn’t surprising given the fuel tanks in the fuselage and the engines up top. There’s a windmill-driven fuel pump that only works when the engines are running so there’s some air moving it; otherwise, you must use the hand pump. But where is the hand pump?

2 Likes

Great video reviews, enjoyed watching all of them. Subscribed to your channel. This plane looks great, definitely buying it. Can’t wait to try it in VR.

1 Like

Oh so Zentropy is you? Nice. Just found those reviews and subbed a few hours ago when they appeared on YT. Had no idea.
They were useful - they explained and demonstrated some startup issues but overall showed us what we could expect if we decide to purchase . . . Thanks.

1 Like

It’s curious: if you take an already started dornier in the air then land on the water and cut the mix then the engines will stop. They can easily be restarted just using the magnetos. It can be verified that all the fuel selectors and so on are right where the checklist would have you place them for cold start. It’s like there’s some magic extra switch that is not set when you cold start that is preventing the engines staying started.
By the way the auto “cheat” start (RB + → on xbox) does start it from cold if you have the fuel selectors set right. Basically all vertical.

1 Like

Since it’s by the same peeps that did the JU-52, how’s the modelling/visual fidelity of this release compare? I love flying the JU-52, so if this is comparable to that, then i’m in

Obvs the cold/dark start is a big issue, but hopefully they can get that fixed soon :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

You can create a collection of your own favourite water landing spots simply by landing, shutting down and then saving the flight.

3 Likes

I think you can see a lot of the modeling and visual details in the videos I have posted above. That’s why I made them. :wink:

1 Like

I am starting from a Dock in my own scenery where I have several dock starting positions for cold & dark start from the water.

The integrated checklist does not start the aircraft when run automatically.

I could not start the aircaft by hand running a checklist.

sadly, this needs a patch already.

2 Likes

I also thought to myself “for 15€ you can not go wrong” And lo and behold, I can!!! Very sad

1 Like