[Official Discussion] Famous Flyer II: Gee Bee Model Z and R-2

Into the Blue Simulations has a good review. Of note he uses full left aileron for takeoff.

It helps a lot to pull back the stick fully to keep the tailwheel on the ground and than lift the tailwheel at around 50 knots. And dance on the pedals to keep the plane straight.

ā€¦ of the 1930ies, yes :wink:

2 Likes

4 Likes

Very much looking forward to these.

2 Likes

Me too! Gee Bee planes are coooool!

when it will be out in the market-placeā€¦?

The were released with SU9 yesterday

1 Like

And thereā€™s a thread for it in General Discussion

prior to the Granville Brothers the top speed at the Cleveland air races was around 200 mph - when Lowell Bayles flew the Z at an average of 267 mph in 1931 it caused a stir

now the seaplanes of the Schneider races of the same period were another story - and one that would be something to tell in MSFS someday. The winner in 1931 posted a 407 mph average speed flying a Supermarine SA6

Jimmy Doolittle flew a GeeBee in the 1932 Thompson Trophy raceā€¦
Would love to see a Wedell Williams type 44 in MSFS someday (on another note)
DOOLITTLE TAMES THE GEE BEE: The Story of the 1932 National Air Races, by Don Hollway

3 Likes

The taildragger physics are indeed in need of improvement. However, they vary greatly with different default aircraft and third-party addons, so it isnā€™t all on Asobo. Some third-party developers seem to get it down pretty well - FlyingIron being one of them. Others coughCarenadocough* seem to struggle quite a bit.

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I happen to think Carenado did pretty well with this one. It is squirrely, but it isnā€™t hard to figure out why thatā€™s the case just by looking at it; itā€™s short, stubby and has a huge radial engine.

Use the tail-wheel lock for takeoff. Ease the throttle up while holding the stick back to keep the tailwheel on the ground. There is a lot of bad advice out there from simmers regarding taildraggers, encouraging people to push the stick forward to get the tail off the ground faster. This is the opposite of what you want to do unless you are flying a STOL plane that can take off on a dime. With this type of plane and so much power and force coming from the engine, you want the stability the tailwheel provides until you have enough airspeed where the vertical stabilizer and rudder gain authority.

You can use half throttle until you build up enough speed that the tail wants to raise up. Test this by easing off the stick slightly as you speed up. Once the tail is up, throttle to 30" mp and be active with the rudder to stay centered before you rotate.

4 Likes

ā€¦ and you posted this link in this very same thread.

Now we are all stuck in an endless loop :sunglasses:

1 Like

yes, please! A Supermarine S.6 would be an amazing aircraft to have in the game, a true state of the art machine of its time.
Iā€™d love to see the DH.88 Comet return to MSFS as well.

4 Likes

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is that? What does it if added to the cfg and what if not??

The threads were merged so my post got shunted into here creating the looping paradox. Donā€™t gaze into it too long or it may cause you irreversible existential damage.

2 Likes

It has to do with being able to save the default view in the cockpit. In this case, and I believe all Carenado aircraft, the UITitle section in cameras.cfg is blank. In the sim when you press ctrl+f10 to save your current view as default, if those entries arenā€™t present, the sim will just crash to the desktop. I should add Carenado are not the only dev that is neglecting to do this.

1 Like

Whereā€™s the tailwheel lock on these? I didnā€™t see one, but I havenā€™t had the time to really dig into these yet.

I have it bound to a controller - not sure where it is in the cockpit or if it is even there.

1 Like

@Jummivana when will be available manual for this aircraft please?

1 Like

1 Like