Famous Flyer III: Beechcraft Bonanza V35

So… The point is, you should be landing with I believe 45 minutes reserve per FAA regulations. And those regulations require that the unusable fuel not be included in the calculations. And, really, if you’re depending on your fuel gauges, for anything more than balancing between tanks and kind of when to switch, you will eventually run out of fuel if you think they are reading accurately as you get close to zero fuel in a tank.

1 Like

Your theory is sound but there are some complications. A modern digital fuel quantity system can have multiple calibration points to give an accurate result however the old original systems used in these era of aircraft have little calibration and the resistive sensors they tend to use are particularly inaccurate especially with age. I also wouldn’t be surprised if it’s not implemented correctly in the sim.

2 Likes

Yep: in real life in aircraft of this type, the fuel gauges are quite Mickey Mouse and notoriously inaccurate. I have flown Cessnas from C150 to C210, Pipers from Cherokee PA28-140’s to PA32-300’s, Beech Debonair, Rockwell Commander 114, Grumman A5 etc. in real life and I never considered the gauges in any of them to be anything more than a sort of general indication. For me, flight planning is based far more on full tank capacity and then burn rate over time. I have always considered part tank departures to be very iffy as it is very difficult to know exactly how much fuel is in the tanks. Some aircraft have a tab in the neck of the tank that (at least in theory…) show you how much fuel is in the tank if you fill it to the tab.

And as already mentioned, there are regulations in terms of fuel reserves required, In North America for VFR it is 30 minutes daytime, 45 minutes nightime beyond your first planned point of landing.

And even without the regulations, it would be a very… adventurous?.. pilot that ever plans on using even close to the stated capacity of the aircraft. While I never got anywhere near that point, unlike in the sim, running out of fuel in real life would be a very interesting event… And something the authorities tend to not look upon kindly.

7 Likes

A wise man once said " a fuel gauge is only accurate when it reads zero"

9 Likes

Can concur.

Either the tanks are visually verified full, to the tabs, or assumed empty. You can get “dipsticks” for certain aircraft to get an almost accurate fuel level, but even those devices (think a clear, graduated drinking straw) are prone to pilot error.

When I was flying my family in the club’s Cirrus SR20, I could never go with full tanks, even when the kids were little. I would talk to the line guys and order my fills as “tabs plus XX gallons per tank” to stay under MGTOW since the tabs were a known visual indicator, at 13 gallons each if I remember correctly.

GA fuel gauges are basically useless, and knowing your burn rates and going with a proper reserve are your best defense against starvation.

I personally use a 1 hour reserve for VFR IRL.

That being said, the fact that this aircraft doesn’t have the long range tanks modeled is terribly frustrating.

2 Likes

I hate to say this…but I really like the Carenado V-35.

Carenado have never been known for their “flight dynamics” and because of that I hadn’t bought their software since FS2004. I only bought the V-35 because a) it looks nice and b) it was 12 quid.

However I was doing some crosswind tests today and I found that the V-35 was the only aircraft I could land safely in a 15-20 knot (near full) crosswind.

Either Carenado know something I don’t or Asobo have possibly tweaked the ground friction settings so that aircraft don’t fly off the runway on landing. Their default Cessna 172 despite CFD and NPS couldn’t cope and drove off the runway during take-off (despite full deflection rudder and into wind aileron).

I recorded the V-35 departing and landing in a live weather crosswind at Calais LFAC earlier. Hope you enjoy - excuse the sketchy take-off - it was quite twitchy in that wind. On approach I had to view the runway out of the side window :slight_smile:

It was a firm but safe landing and I managed to stay near or on the centreline. In real life I wouldn’t try this (crosswind limits) but in MSFS - what the hell!

4 Likes

“And even then you can’t be quite sure…”

Me, too… too scary otherwise…

Pretty sure the release notes say they did something like this…?

2 Likes

The ones used in the era of this aircraft are if not useless but not to be solely relied upon. The newer tech available today is much better. Cirrus and many other OEM’s now fit new digital senders and feed this straight into a glass cockpit with multi point calibration and other functions available in a modern flight deck.

That said there is no substitute for cross checking of data sources before you leave and during the flight.

There are some “ground” related changes:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/release-release-notes-1-27-21-0-sim-update-10/543606

Continued in another thread, so as not to go OT.

2 Likes

Whats up with that Atittude indicator of the V-Bonanza? Its hardly moving when tilting the plane…

Yeah it’s not working or not working right. Will it be fixed? Who knows :unamused:

Isn’t this Market Place offering supposed to be in the : 3rd Party Addons/Aircraft ? Not here in General discussions as an announcement of a 3rd party Aircraft for sale ? That is where I would look for a new Marketplace Aircraft offering from a 3rd party. Maybe I have been looking in the wrong place ?

The Famous Flyers and Local Legends aircraft are published “first party” by Microsoft/Asobo so discussion for them goes in this forum. Has been that way since the first one.

1 Like

Thanks for that , much appreciated.

The V35 is something very special. I would be surprised if this isn’t in every hangar. After my initial flight I had to go sit in the hangar and stare at the tail for awhile. Then I had to take it back up to be sure I didn’t imagine it. Just loving this flight model!

3 Likes

Speaking of flight model, it’s probably in my top 5 favorite addons specifically when it comes to landing. Landing this one feels very good, I don’t know what it even specifically is about it. That burled oak panel freeware addon that came out recently is a nice touch as well.

2 Likes

Hello everyone,

We will be releasing an update to the Bonanza V35 later today. Please see below for the changelog:

• The label on the fuel selector has been corrected to show the correct usable gallons.
  • The COM radio’s Transmission Mode knob is now operable.
  • The aircraft’s cruise speed as provided in the aircraft’s Hangar Description and Specifications panel are now aligned.
  • The altimeter now correctly indicates altitudes above 10,000 feet.

Thanks,
MSFS Team

27 Likes

Great!!! Thanks.

Thanks! Any word on the barely functional attitude indicator?

Nice to see this getting patched. Has the ability to open the cabin door while airbourne been fixed? I haven’t had time to test. The window could only be opened on the ground but the door could be opened wide while airbourne at any altitude!