Official Discussion: February 17th, 2022 Development Update

Bought 747 liveries and now the sim is broken! CTD after CTD when turning on APU! I tried flying 747, 737max, 787! All CTD when starting APU🤦🏽‍♂️

1 Like

Boeing 747 Liveries Video here if you want to see which airlines have been released.

3 Likes

Boeing 747 Livery packs have been released on my YouTube channel incase anyone wants to see. Channel name is JM Gaming. Confirmed liveries are AlItalia, British Airways, Lufthansa and American Airlines.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing! So happy for this and on another plane other than the A320 Neo. American 747 is fictional though. was hoping for a Qantas livery to go along with the WU7 Australia. (maybe soon) but something is better than nothing is my motto for this livery situation on xbox. grateful…now time for some 747 long hauls

1 Like

Hi @Jummivana I hope you’re well! I have a marketplace question that I hope you or the MSFS team can help with? I’m eagerly awaiting the release to the Xbox marketplace of the SimWorks Studios Kodiak 100 Series II third party aircraft. My understanding is that it has been with Microsoft for two months or so, but hasn’t yet been released to the Xbox marketplace for some reason not made known to the community here.

Could you/the team please provide an estimate as to when this aircraft will be made available on the Xbox marketplace? In the weeks since the developer Q&A and Jorg’s comments on 26th January , I have been anticipating (hugely!) the release of this aircraft. If you’re not able to provide an estimate for its release date, could you confirm whether or not the SWS Kodiak is in that group of 3rd party aircraft with the ongoing known problem related to WASM code? My understanding from the developer Q&A is that those third party aircraft won’t be seen for many more months.

Thanks.

2 Likes

This is so impressive. I would really like to know how exactly they’re performing these real-time flow computations. Very excited to see how this changes things.

1 Like

All well and good, a lot of that will be useful for ‘normal shaped’ aircraft but there is still nothing which suggests that the core flight model will be adjusted or developed to enable it to cope with ‘odd shaped’ aircraft - swept wings, delta wings, anything out of the ordinary is causing problems for 3rd party devs and no matter the pretty graphics that we see in those videos we are having to mangle the ‘accurate geometry’ that this sim apparently relies on just to try and get basic aerodynamic behaviours. By stepping away from accurate geometry, we are into the realm of guesswork rather than accurate aerodynamics, so whilst many aspects (the airflow and prop effects, the new fuel system etc) are a welcome step forward we are at the same time taking many steps backwards because the geometry of aircraft in this sim cannot be defined accurately enough.

We (as 3rd party devs) have lost the control and ability to define behaviours which we had in FSX/P3D, and at the same time the geometry definition is nowhere near as precise as in X-Plane. So much of this sim, as seen in the vid above and in the general world / environment, is quite brilliant. Yet time after time, defining aircraft as accurately as possible within this sim does not lead to realistic behaviours because not everyone is developing a C172.

7 Likes

And here we have the second Bredok3D Livery pack for the Airbus A320! 5 NEW airlines including my personal favourite…EASY JET!

4 Likes

Same here mate same here and with 4simmers confirming that their pack is also releasing next week we will have 2 easyjet liverys

@Jummivana is it confirmed then that the famous flyer aircraft coming on 1st March will be the Antonov rather than the Carenado plane (since this wasn’t known yet during the last Q&A)?

1 Like

Very, very impressive.
What a great step forward!!

So with the new aerodynamics, does this mean airliners like the A320 won’t feel like a cessna anymore when taking off?

It’s kind of bad the amount of rudder you have to give an airliner to keep it center line.

Ground roll is really bad right now

1 Like

Since when did Alitalia and American had 744s? There are so many operators, why do fictitious stuff and mix real operators with them? Maybe two packs would be in order? One for people who actually care about realism in the sim and one for those who don’t?

This game is getting farther and farther away from the sim it started out to be. So sad to see the total lack of control or curation in the marketplace.

2 Likes

That’s not a subject for MS/Asobo, but rather to the developers of those packs. Direct your feedback to them, and maybe they’ll take it into account.

They’ve always been straightforward about not curating anything in the marketplace (apart from making sure it doesn’t crash, and doesn’t hold malicious code). It works the same as the Apple appstore and the Google play store. What the marketplace really needs though is written reviews, not just a star rating system.

1 Like

I have never seen such a massive wave of non-functional stuff in the apple App Store. And if you want a refund you get one, no questions asked.

Hi, I’m no expert, but I don’t think that should be happening at all. Are you talking about the new MSFS 2020 flight Sim? Uninstalling and reinstalling that would take hours and hours, I can’t see how that would be possible. But I have no idea why the same aircraft or Airport is being loaded, when, on the world map you have to choose the aircraft of choice first and then the departure airport before making a flight.
I will be interested to know what others have to say on this percuelular problem.

Were you in a multiplayer on line session?

Your issue is very similar to mine . I flew the CJ4 from BISG to KZOO . After that flight , my hours are now stuck a week now and I did a complete uninstall and reinstall as well . Nothing changed . Also when I start a flight it’s always the same airport and plane that shows up . This is something wrong with the server cloud and I believe it is happening through beta . After exiting beta it’s still the same . Now I have to log my hours in a logbook which I do anyways but my plane starts always in that last flight location. No developer mode was on . No multiplayer flights . Something in the cloud is messed up . I’m also suspecting that gaming services update we had may have something to do with this . It all started from me last Saturday. So now I just do flights it records the times and locations but after restart , it’s nothing no hours , no takeoff, no landings . Just like as if I never did the flights . Very frustrating. I tried every trick in the book about this and also redid the last flight entirely and shut down as should to no avail .

1 Like

Watching the video back, and bearing in mind the SDK states that

" The new flight model for Microsoft Flight Simulator relies on the shape of the aircraft to predict its aerodynamic behavior and we have almost entirely dropped the use of tables of data. Because of this, the correct definition of the aircraft’s dimension data is of particularly importance."

I think that if we were able to define the shape precisely, as in the following image, the airflow patterns shown in that video may make sense in terms of how the aerodynamic behaviour is affected:
Wireframe

However, all we have to define the entire shape of the fuselage, the dimensions that are noted as being of particular importance, are three lines:
Fuselage

Length, diameter, centre point. Realistically, that may be suitable for an airliner with a cylindrical fuselage but for many GA aircraft, most military aircraft and even some airliners that is simply never going to be the accuracy level for dimensions that such an impressive airflow pattern will be able to take advantage of. What about flat sides? What about area rule? What about so many different shapes! It’s like building a sailing boat out of bricks and mortar and then expecting the wind to have the correct effect.

To take real advantage of that airflow, we need far more control of the dimensions. At the moment, this flight model appears to be trying to be both X-Plane and FSX and managing to fail at both, yet a relatively small change of direction could make it surpass both by a wide margin - it really does have the potential.

Seeing that the new CFD model is only coming in SU9, I would expect there to be changes there as well.