Official Discussion: Game of the Year Edition

I’m definitely really looking forward to this update. 4 new aircraft alone sells it but we’re getting a lot more than that.

I’m not expecting anything from DX12 but I’ll be pleasantly surprised if there are performance gains to be had, particularly in VR. I’m sure it’ll quickly become a hot topic of study and debate.

I’m actually really looking forward to the Reno races too. Even if they’re quite basic and a bit of a perceived gimmick its just an extra thing to do in the sim. Always welcome.

1 Like

Win 11 needs DX-12.

people are playing on win11 right now, but it may help idk

1 Like

Might happen, but Seb has been pretty open about it in the Q&As that there will be no performance gains worth mentioning.

3 Likes

The GOTY update looks good and all but honestly I look forward to the day where updates are less frequent and of a smaller download size.

3 Likes

I think folks are putting too much emphasis on this GOTY label. It’s just another sim update, but with a fancy name, and it’ll probably be handled just like the previous ones.

4 Likes

Its promotional stunt, “Arkaham Asylum” also won “Skyrim V” which I both own, good games I love them…word of the wise for true simmers dont let the word…GOTY. Belieive there be gold at the end of the tunnel…a) because I will be the last to complain. B) This forum will be full of compaints…about FPS this and that.

I suppose you’re right. When were previous sim updates be released exactly?
With my slow internet I better start downloading as soon as possible…
Thanks.

It releases at 1830 Zulu.

1 Like

Thank you @Maki152 !

Hello there, so it means, that if I am playing with subscription right now and decide to buy a game after 18’th of November, I will not find standard edition in store anymore? It will be substituted with GOTY, right?

Based on what?

1 Like

It comes with 5 new free aircraft, 8 hand crafted airports and 8 new photogrammetry cities so its definitely a lot more than just another sim update.

2 Likes

Maybe this is interesting for you:

I wonder how much additional content will require updating through the Content Manager after the Store and base sim updates are installed?

I know what happened. When I read this before it said 1830, I’m almost positive.

https://www.flightsimulator.blog/2021/11/12/sim-update/

I get a feeling the hornet’s a bit too slow compared to it’s IRL counterpart. Max speed on cruise is .97 Mach and it only barely broke the sound barrier on a dive. Is it slower or is it only my feeling?

Easier to break through sound barrier and stay there at altitude, where the air is less dense.

Did you use the afterburner?

It feels a bit like shouting into the void, but man what a bummer SU7 is. I thought SU5 was a fluke, due to the need to merge code with xbox, and maybe this update is not so bad for some folks, but as someone who flies in VR exclusively, SU7 is a no go until they fix the broken mouse interaction.

I was really excited to do some Reno, but wanted to get familiar with the planes first, so I loaded up the T-6 cold and dark at Reno to check out the new scenery and learn the plane I was most excited to get in.

Well, you can’t even navigate the checklists in VR due to this menu bug, so there goes learning how to start it properly. So I started fiddling around in the cockpit, but it’s not just menus that are broken - the UI in general is all over the place. I had reset my mouse and keyboard settings to default and put interaction back to “lock” (because I’m a hopeless optimist) since I was experiencing some UI bugs similar to what I had seen in SU5, and default mappings had fixed things then. But no dice - something about the default mappings on the mouse or keyboard appear to toggle parking brakes at random, move the VR head position, and zoom in and out as the mouse is moved around and things are clicked. I didn’t investigate too much because as you can imagine, that’s no fun to experience in VR. Deleting the profile fixed this, but then you can’t click anything at all, and obviously you need a few keyboard bindings here and there…

Rather than piece together the puzzle of why the default bindings were and utter disaster for VR, I figured, well, lets at least try a time trial in the $20 expansion I just bought. I had watched the dev spotlight video yesterday and heard that Reno in VR is a blast, so I thought, well, maybe I can’t do this my way, but lets just get a taste and then come back when they fix everything.

Nope, starts me with the ■■■■ HUD smack in the middle of my face so I can’t see anything, almost fails me for over altitude before it even gives me control, and then when I try to pause and get out of VR to figure out how to fix the HUD thing, the game crashes.

And then I come here and look closer at the patch notes, and I see that these are all known issues, more or less.

So that’s it, putting it down until the next update, whenever that is - hopefully a hotfix, but I guess maybe next year. And It’s not just Reno, I just bought the BN-2 Islander and LOVED it pre-SU7, but I’m typically flying with Neofly and really have come to depend on the EBag add-on for charts to small unfamiliar strips, which won’t work until they fix this menu bug in VR. And I can’t even try Reno apparently until they fix these VR bugs.

I hate to just be negative since I feel there’s more than a fair share of that in these forums in general, but I think Asobo need to understand that this kind of update can’t keep dropping if they expect people to stick around for 10 years.

1 Like