Official Discussion: Game of the Year Edition

I guess we will soon find out!

Do you guys think that the radar will work in the f18

If Microsoft sees this and if it does not work pls make it do it will make the game so much better we have no study level military aircraft pls can you make the f18 one

There are two issues here:

1. Gusts are currently not simulated in live weather even when they are reported in METAR. This should be easy to fix.

2. This is the tricky one. Gusts are only reported in METAR if they deviate by more than 9 kts from the average wind speed. Fortunately, MeteoBlue shows the wind speed in the form of min - max (eg 6-10 kts). The solution would be to blend the METAR constant speed with MeteBlueā€™s variation.

I suggest everyone to try landing a plane in live weather which uses constant wind speeds and then doing it again in custom weather set to replicate live weather. You will notice how alive the planes feel in custom weather even with light gusts that wouldnā€™t be reported by METAR.

I would be highly surprised if either the air to air or air to ground radar modes will be implemented, or the targeting pod (infrared + TV cameras and laser range finder) for that matter. This is all technology we have not seen before in the Sim.

DCS has a study level F-18C (ie a Hornet not Super Hornet), which includes all radar modes and the targeting pod.

Will the Super Hornet feature external fuel tanks?
Thank you!

Hello,
I would like to know if the replay will also be implemented on xbox x / s series?
Thanks for the great job. I
love flying with MFS

Gusts are in the sim now [1.20.6.0]. I accidentally flew into a typhoon with live weather. Back and forth between overspeed and stall. Heavy turb and it ripped my plane apart.

If you buy Orbx ESSB (Bromma) you will get a fantastic Stockholm update on the purchase.

Thatā€™s true, but only when youā€™re en route. However, you will not see gusts near airports or when landing.

Typhoon was over Hong Kong Intl. Plane ripped apart trying to maintain ILS approach.

2 Likes

Hmmm, strange. Because Iā€™m able to clearly and repeatedly observe missing gusts around airports. And yes, live weather does work on my end. Have a look at this post: [BUG LOGGED] No wind gusts regardless of how gust sliders are set. No data displayed in the "Wind Graph". Broken for both PC and Xbox, both manual AND LIVE WEATHER - #384 by sydicek

Itā€™s not my video but it shows what Iā€™m seeing.

I believe you. What I see is very different.

Ever since SU5, there are some people who seem to be doing better and others that seem to be doing worse.

I wonder what is causing the disparate user experiences. Theoretically, the point of common code branch and mandatory updates is to stabilize everyoneā€™s experience.

:thinking:

Confirmed this today. Tried a flight from KMTN to KHEF - a ucrtbase.dll CTD on my end.

What youā€™ve experienced was mechanical turbulence. Thatā€™s not the same as wind gusts.

You can try the difference between live weather with missing gusts and custom weather with gusts injected by setting them according to the latest METAR - gusts are not reported if their speed is less than 10 knots of the average wind speed though.
You can visit badbadweather.com and find a gusty airport.

I made a video comparing the difference, feel free 5o check that.
First half is live weather and second one is custom with gusts injected manually.

I know the difference between turbulence, wind shear and gusts.

I had gusts.

But thank you for telling me what I experienced.

If you can somehow replicate what youā€™ve experienced, Iā€™d like to see a video. Or try to record one next time you experience gusts.
Did you even look at the video? You can clearly see there are almost zero fluctuations in wind speed with live weather, even though the METAR was reporting gusts of up to 60 knots.

I donā€™t need to see your video, but thank you for offering.

Wind gust challenge - Community / General Discussion - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

Other people are also reporting gusts work. I went to KSFO just now and am seeing the gusty live weather. Good day.

1 Like

Maybe, Lead Avionics Programmer : Phillipe Riou, is the one to answer this one ?

I do hope we are not forced to upgrade to Windows 11 to run this GOTY editionā€¦?

Why would we be?