Official Discussion: Hotfix 1.18.15.0

Just curious and I understand that it’s totally irrelevant to the discussion, but who is Walter?:slightly_smiling_face:

The update for me arrived very late in the day and have been unable to test it until this afternoon.

Without the update although the sim would run the FPS was awful, especially as I had been used to around 40FPS on my mediocre rig. So much to my delight I’m back to around 40FPS again (having had the GeForce driver installer optimise my settings). everything is looking way better, sharper ground images and the clouds are excellent - I can even increase them to Ultra although the loss of 10FPS isn’t worth it. All running nice and smooth although I’ve spotted a few glitches which I’m putting down to addons needing updating, e.g. the WT CJ4 has a few things not working which did before.

My GPU has always run at 100% but the CPU now runs at 50-60% whereas 30% was flat out before. Interestingly the GPU does occasionally drop back to 98% which suggests that my system is now probably working at it’s maximum. S’okay by me.

You young 'uns! Walter Cronkite - Wikipedia

4 Likes

Thank you :slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:

Still no update in the MS Store on my machine. Sim tells me that it cannot start because there is a mandatory update…

How can anyone claim that the sim is looking better than ever before? Color banding is a new issue after sim update 5 and immersion killing. Just imagine what this looks like in VR where everything is life sized… I really am worried that people will just get used to the new normal and we’ll never have the sim we once did.

It’s clear that Asobo reduced the bits per channel of coloring, no doubt to get the sim to run on Xbox, which is now causing the banding that we’re seeing. This is a clear downgrade of graphics and needs to be fixed for PC users.

Pre:

4 Likes

I thought you would stay away from the sim for 30 days? :wink:

I guess it’s still quite addictive and maybe not so bad as suggested by a bunch of your posts a couple of days ago on this forum. :wink:

Hopefully on a more positive tone forwards! Happy flying!

1 Like

Well the last update got me going again.
Like I said it is flyable.
Still not the way it was prior to the update.
So the mess turned into a flyable simulator with this update.
Like you said " [Why is every addon released so far underwhelming?]

the update wont show in the store until you sign into the store again, click on the three dots menu, click on get updates then download updates.
Its long winded :frowning:

nope … i.am a technican, not a noob :wink:

I mean the volumetric lighting and the reflections of it in the cockpit and over the winshield

I don’t have it set for auto update either, but it always does.

Haha I was thinking of Walter from the Big Lebowski!

2 Likes

“It’s clear that Asobo reduced the bits per channel of coloring,”

Where can we find these info?

Click on each picture from my post, and scroll left and right between both of them and look at the rings in the sky in the ‘post sim update 5’ picture. That’s color banding. Colour banding - Wikipedia

Well, at least you knew a Walter so you were still way ahead of me :slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:

Yes, color banding is present after the SU5
I thought they’ll fix it with the HF2
No way. It looks exactly as before ( SU5 )

No trouble downloading.
No CTDs (big relief, I always get angious when they bring out s.th. “new”). Graphics a bit sharper, still terrible anti-aliasing. No change in FPS (still high, I rather trade in a few FPS for anti-alising being improved, or at least Asobo provide a slider, so people wont complain, when AA is turned up again and their FPS drop.
Weather (Temp, wind) is fixed.
“Vatsim bug” not fixed, but I guess that is what it meant in the release notes, when it said “external ATC services not fixed”.

Tested TBM, A32NX … so far so good.

Walter Chronkite was the renowned CBS News anchorman in the 60’s and 70’s. His evening news broadcast would always end with “and that’s the way it is”.

3 Likes

Interesting, I too felt that its a bit sharper in my opinion.