Official Discussion: July 22nd, 2021 Development Update

So now we are talking about the weather - not seasons?

isnt weather part of seasons?

Uhm
 no :wink: Is it possible that you are confusing „weather“ (as in „it rains today“) with „climate“ (as in „the average temperature in Europe during winter is X degrees, average precipitation during that period Y etc.“)?

:wink:

Im talking about weather, as a generic term, which includes climate, atmospherics, Moisture, etc, which is not limited to but includes specific seasons. Talk generics, not everyone is a meteorologist, and there may be newbies here.

No, you were talking about “weather”, as in “it rains today, it rained yesterday, it rained 50 years ago in Rome, 
” - historical weather.

Quote: " it just wont give you historical weather for that day."

That was your reply to mine when I said that you can already (“since day 1 of FS2020”) change the date in the sim, and that was in response to @AlexKidd71 who - at least I had the impression - seemed to have first noticed that “change date” feature in the video, and hence did not know that you can already change the date.

And the initial point was seasons (triggered by the photo at the top), and in order to implement seasons historical weather is clearly not needed (nor feasible - just think about the data volume, which would exceed the scenery data volume by far, let alone where (for a reasonable price) to get it).

Talk generics, not everyone is a meteorologist, and there may be newbies here.

So no, let’s not talk generics. Let’s be very precise and specific about what we mean, otherwise there will be confusions of what people will mean by “weather”, “seasons” and “simly changing th date in the sim”. Case in point already made :wink:

Seasons was planned for 2021 in the first place, and it was suddenly shifted as a 2022 implementation in one of the dev update snapshots. Not sure whether they would be able to bring seasons before 2023.

After the recent DX12 hoax, I really don’t believe in anything the dev team is talking about.

It just turned out their one and only goal had always been the Xbox release.

Do you REALLY think it’s a great idea to mix DX12 implementation with what is basically a huge re-write of the engine in order to bring the performance improvements in SU5? It would be a pretty crazy move in my eyes - changing too many things at the same time is almost guaranteed to create an unmanageable number of issues where you won’t know if the issues are caused by DX12 or all the changes taking place under the hood of the sim.

2 Likes

Well, I’m not the one who has, for the entire past year, publishing a snapshot pointing out the fact that they are planning the implementation of DX12 into the sim together with the Xbox release.

If it was a bad idea, blame the dev team, not me.

To be fair plans are just guidelines and not rigid or set in stone. I am personally not too fixated on or massively hyped about DX12. I think some people are actually going to be a bit disappointed when it eventually does come to PC. I am also not sure it will bring massive performance gains and it could even lead to performance drops in some PC systems.

I am however pretty hyped/encouraged by the performance improvements that may come to my PC version on the 27th.

I don’t really think either that we could really expect both DX12 and performance enhancements to be part of the same update. Just think what a ■■■■ shoot that could end up being! It doesn’t bear thinking about or the dearth of negative comments on the forum following the bugs which would obviously result from doing too much in one go.

I agree with you that ASOBO has put a lot of effort and time into getting FS2020 to market and maybe this has held back some PC improvements. Having said that to get the sim up and running on a console has required that they come up with a load of performance improvements and the PC version will hopefully benefit massively from this. Without an xbox version I think a performance update would have been much longer coming. So in the end I think FS2020 on the xbox is great news for PC users.

Wherever it is, they would have snow three seasons 
 Stay frosty !

1 Like

It’s not true. But, it is not surprising that, a YEAR after release, they have been concentrating on getting it Xbox ready. The first six months were, for all of us PC players, a bit 2 steps forwards, three back, two sideways, spin round and go back to the start.

The real issues for us will be when they have to concentrate on fixing the Xbox issues. We don’t know how many sales there are on both platforms, but hopefully it will be split accordingly - we gave them a lot of money ! The Xbox ver. should be fairly easy though, as they are mostly the same specs, so not like they have five thousand different hardware combinations to take into account.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.