Local Legend II: Fokker F.VII

Yeah my concern was mainly that according to some of the documentation I’ve read the Southern Cross was equipped with a rudimentary Sperry autopilot. I expect it had similar functionality to the Ju-52’s autopilot which obviously was modeled. I’m aware that Charles Lindbergh flew across the Atlantic without an autopilot but this is a totally different aircraft. Also having some generic autopilot in the sim could solve this issue (or at least act as a stopgap) but I doubt that will ever happen. While I appreciate the challenge of sitting at my computer for 15 hours I think I represent a majority when I say i’d rather be able to put it on autopilot so I can focus on fuel planning, navigation, and ultimately other things in life while waiting.

Here is a good review:

Sad that is has so many bugs. It indeed looks like a very rushed release.

6 Likes

then you need to buy the proper aircraft, this is just 15 euros, you expect too much
for that amount of money.

Even the default Cessna 172 start-up procedure is flawed, so what did you expect?

you need to try better, dont give up so easily, else stick with the easiest to fly ones.

1 Like

WHAT???
It’s easy to fly, had 2 hours flight without problems but there are too many bugs for so simple aircraft.
It’s not polished at all.

thanks thats great.

Oh, I don’t know, that 1.5 years into the life span of the sim that, perhaps, learning from past mistakes would result in less of this sort of thing.

But apparently the proper attitude is to set the bar so low that anything is acceptable.

7 Likes

Getting bored of these tri planes as local legends why can’t they do a classic jet like the dc9-10?

Thanks for the life tip!

I’ll be sure to buy a Porsche rather than a Toyota, to ensure all the supplied features work!

5 Likes

Great idea, but definitely too complex for them to implement with any decent degree of systems fidelity. Just look at how poor the default A320 is.

The lukewarm response to the Fokker suggests that even at £12.50 I would be wise to steer clear.

I enjoy this plane for what it is and at the price it’s a good deal. It’s a nice touch of history, I will enjoy flying her every now and then. Certainly not a daily flyer but also not something I would remove from my hangar.

If they improve a few small niggles, this will be a gem.

4 Likes

Did you try releasing the parking brake? It’s on by default

I know but I feel like we don’t need another tri motor aircraft because we got a high wing one and a low wing one now

I haven’t flown a Fokker F.VII in real life and can’t say with any degree of authority how closely our version matches the actual aircraft, but when it comes to the single-engine variant, Anthony Fokker himself also concluded it was under-powered. That’s why only the first five Fokker F.VIIs ever built had a single engine, and all subsequent ones were upgraded to a trimotor configuration.

5 Likes

I enjoy this plane and at the price it’s a good price. Interesting to read about and try and fly. For the price you can’t beat it. I recommend buying it.

2 Likes

I don’t own the product and neither am I interested in buying it, so I can’t test it myself. But it is weird of course that the single engine variant in that video couldn’t climb out of ground effect at full power while 2000 lbs below maximum take-off weight. We don’t know what atmospheric conditions he used other than taking off from sea level. So maybe someone should try to take-off at maximum take-off weight in the correct configuration and ISA conditions (at sea level) and post the results here. Don’t expect it to climb like a rocket, but it should be able to have a positive gradient at least.

2 Likes

With one engine version I can start engine from cold and dark state but can not start taxiing. Even with full power and parking brake off.
With classic 3 engine version I can not start engines without manually setting mixture. Even after this cheat I can’t start taxiing. Of course with parking brake is off.
Did I missed something in the checklists?
Of course aircraft lose sound everytime I apply full throttle.

Not sure honestly if a „rudimentary“ autopilot is even possible atm. It all falls back to the kap140 below the line. The Ju52 is weird in that respect, it does something but no what it did in the real plane.

I don’t really get the argument that it is ‚just‘ 15 bucks. So what? I understand that some compromises need to be made with that price point. But why not model and program a single version to work properly instead multiple versions that are all more or less flawed and buggy. Given the atrocious reputation of Orbx‘ planes lack of updates - I unfortunately have the Optica that has a non-functional gauge that was never fixed - I will stay clear of this one. Seems like a lesser Ju-52 every way imaginable. And that was/is also not free of bugs.

Unfortunately the Asobo line of planes seem to be very shallow and buggy. Them being ‚only‘ 15 bucks doesn’t make them any better. Cheap broken stuff remains broken stuff.

5 Likes