Local Legend V: Beechcraft Model 18 ("Twin Beech")

I’m kind of late to this party I’m afraid, but I noticed that someone stated a few days ago there were no smoke effects.

I just discovered that there are indeed pretty nice engine start smoke effects when viewed from outside the plane. I also discovered that 2 of my other Carenado birds also include engine start-up smoke - the C170B and YMF5.

I had not noticed this before and I wondered if any of the other MSFS marketplace aircraft had this nice touch, but so far no luck. Given that I don’t own many, I am assuming that this might just be a Carenado thing. Thank you, Carenado!!

Certainly would enjoy a beefier engine sound, though…
A great sound track here, BTW:
Beech 18 | Engine Start & Take Off | RARE visitor in Penticton BC Canada - YouTube
:slight_smile:

5 Likes

like all cfg´s wat are need to upgrade or moding :-1:
that´s why i normaly not buy planes from sim marketplace,i hope they change this bad way to install…

1 Like

For the life of me I can’t find how to turn on that red-tinted cockpit light I"m seeing others using. Where is that switch!?

1 Like

Looked everywhere but there. Thanks much! So cool-looking.

1 Like

you have to select any other pilot avatar than the default - use the default pilot and you get an empty seat

1 Like

Is depressing the Nav 1 button above the GPS really necessary? It is just a speaker button and emits the Morse Code for the ILS. But it that necessary for the approach to work?

Is it possible to fly an RNAV in the Twin Beech?

Have Carenado indicated that the sound will be improved in an update?

2 Likes

For those who don’t have the Goose, another sound set worth trying is the one from the Beech D17. Most of the knobs and switches have sound and the engine sound is, well, much better. Only two negatives: engine sound is only for LH engine, if you start or just push the throttle on RH engine alone = no sound. But if you push the two levers at the same time you won’t notice. As a bonus you have the sound changing with opened or closed windows. And then, the low voltage warning on RH engine is sometimes not working mostly when you have mixture to full rich, but works as soon as you lean a little. I find this solution quit convincing in term of engine sound and the other sounds are good too; flaps, gears and so on.

Hello pilots!

Just getting my hands on the Beech 18 for the first few times, finally figured how to use the autopilot to follow my filed flight plan. It does not matter for me how i setup the right autopilot source, I need to press Nav on my Honeycomb Bravo, if I don’t, the plane won’t follow… Any ideas why?

And I just cant figure how to get the plane on a glide slope! I set up my localizer frequency on the GNS530 VLOC, VLOC mode is active (CDI button), the frequency is also set on the KX165 and the KN64. Yet, the KN64 never displays the NM, KT and MIN figures that seem to be needed for glide slope capture… Any ideas why is that? What am I doing wrong?

Have you read any of the previous posts here regarding the autopilot?

Do a search, it’s related to the landing lights switch. Turn them off.

1 Like

Yes, you’re absolutely right about that - the.Beech 18 is a fantastic aeroplane but is well known as being difficult to land… it’s not one you can expect to just start pulling off good landings straight away - lots of practice required. I’d recommend finding an airport where you feel comfortable with the circuit and then practice flying round the circuit playing with trim and throttle settings until you start to feel a bit more comfortable. Even then, just when you think you’re starting to get a bit better, this aircraft will bite you! And I think that is exactly as real life.
Couple of tips - easier to pull off a successful wheel landing if you keep a little power on until you touch down. And don’t use auto trim- you’ll run out of up- trim for the flare if you do and guarantee a bouncer- I find that I need to set the trim on final approach to the point where if the yoke is left alone there is a very gentle nose down pitch to help settle the wheels on the runway. But it is a difficult aircraft to land well every time, not as forgiving as e.g., the TBM but very satisfying when you pull off a good one.

1 Like

does it comes with any bush trips?

I checked my Bush trips and did not see one for the Beech Twin.

But, on a good note, the Bush trip for the Big Radials Goose has now been added to Xbox after the last Goose update which is great!

I spent the weekend away and had time to read this book and it’s quite good! I always thought the 18 was a cool plane but didn’t really know that much about it and this book has made me quite a fan of the bird.
It does make me wish for a battered old 18 converted for carrying freight with all the bells and whistles of an A2A plane or the failures, wear and tear and ownership features of MilViz’s 310.

10 Likes

i hope for a mod that does this at this one…

2 Likes

Use MissionChanger » Microsoft Flight Simulator

Very instructive and useful informations, thanks for sharing. It seems that Carenado made a pretty good job on the flight model, especially for the landing. It feels very close from what we can read in this article.

Is this a bug that I should report? My HSI doesnt light up. Maybe just a bad bulb or loose wire. lol. Whatever the problem, I really need my HSI when instrument flying at night. The flashlight works but an illuminated HSI works better.

5 Likes