Local Legend V: Beechcraft Model 18 ("Twin Beech")

Just bought the plane, and my first flight from Los Angeles to San Francisco, no problems, beautiful plane, love it.

3 Likes

I wish they would have added the Tablet to it with all the carenado options.

2 Likes

Man itā€™s a shame to be hearing all these negative reviews about the engine sounds. I thought they did a great job with the Staggerwing - my subwoofer moves across the floor gradually itā€™s shaking so much :slight_smile: having twin radials should be really throbbing if you crank your audio. No? Boo

1 Like

Yeah, itā€™s kinda strange, Carenado planes are usually top-notch in the sound department (from the few planes of theirs i have). Maybe thereā€™s just a bug or something thatā€™s causing the sounds on the Beechcraft 18 to be soo quiet :woman_shrugging:

Iā€™m probs still gonna get it, to support the Local Legends series of planes, especially since they do get updates over time which should fix the issues

The way to get the booster pumps to turn off is the same way you turn it on , you have to select the engine first then hit the boost pump again to turn it off

4 Likes

The Staggerwing also has a very different flight model from the Beech 18. The C337 flies nothing like the PA34ā€¦ There might be some similarities in feeling among Carenadoā€™s models, but theyā€™re hardly duplicates. So yeah, itā€™s just not true that thereā€™s variations on a single model.

Thanks! Are we going to get a manual for this? Itā€™s odd, because the planes Carenado sells under their own name have manuals in their OneStore folders.

Still waiting on the S.55 manual that @Jummivana mentioned had been uploaded for posting as well. :slight_smile:

[EDIT: The S.55 manual is there now, which is weird because I checked before posting. Downloaded it, went back, and itā€™s gone again. Refreshed and the page goes back and forth between the version with the S.55 manual and the previous version of the page. Looks like the CDN MS is using for the website is having some caching issues.]

1 Like

11 liveries? Really? Why donā€™t they give us the option to remove the liveries we donā€™t want and will never use. If anything puts me off buying from the Marketplace itā€™s this.

2 Likes

There were some pretty cool Beech 18 variants and modifications over the years. Single tail, triple tail, tricycle undercarriage, floats - you name it.

Beech18C-FSFHonFloats.JPG

1280px-Beech_18h.jpg

Beechcraft_AT-11_out_over_the_West_Texas

0000078724.jpg

azsse2btf7e51.jpg?width=1024&format=pjpg

4 Likes

Whatā€™s all the hate against Carenado? I l think this plane is one of the best Carenado builds.

16 Likes

Great article with some flying tipsā€¦

4 Likes

Totally agree with you on thisā€¦it doesnā€™t seem very sensible to me to troll the developers who work so hard to bring us these aircraft.

5 Likes

I think Iā€™m going to hold off on this one at least for now. Iā€™m a sucker for Carenado planes but of the 6 I own I think I have issues with all of them except the Mooney and maybe the Seneca. Major non-functioning switches or systems (tailwheel lock/hook (what?) in the Staggerwing for example), the sound bug in the Staggerwing and 170, so on. I really like their stuff but at the same time I know they tend to need a lot of polish that rarely comes

3 Likes

I think itā€™s basically their bad reputation from FSX/P3D times when they used to abandon their planes on a regular basis (much like AH does now). IMHO Carenado have improved a lot in that regard in MSFS but still people tend to pick on them more than necessary. I believe Carenado offers very good value for money.

But hey: thereā€™s always room for improvement. Update indeed could be quicker.

6 Likes

About updates, Carenado has a ton of aircraft now in Flight Simulator and the more products a company has the harder it is to keep everything up to date. This is one of the reasons Iā€™m extremely wary of buying any third-party add-on really. Thereā€™s simply no way to know how long it will work, when an update arrives that breaks something and if the company ever gets to fix it.

4 Likes

With regard to the sound: Has someone tried to use the sound of the Big Radial Goose with the Beech D18? They both share the same engine type and the sound set of the Goose is excellent. I just donā€™t know if it works.

2 Likes

Most of the fixes asked for Carenado aircraft are pretty simple to take care of, as long as thereā€™s a willingness to.
For example, the Mooney has an obnoxiously loud fuel pump in external view, or the Staggerwing tailwheel handle doesnā€™t work.

1 Like

Iā€™d be interested in this too.

I find the sounds VERY underwhelming. I was expecting a throatier sound, the startup sounds are almost non existant. My electric lawn mower has a longer ramp up; for big radials they should sound different, for sure.

Also the ground handling feels off.
And my EGT needles donā€™t move at all, when playing with the mixture. Weird.

But I have to admit iā€™m pleasantly surprised with how few of the switches are INOP. For 15ā‚¬, itā€™s a good value. I was expecting it to barely do anything more than be pretty, but Iā€™m happy with the instruments, the nav suite, and the engine controls. Itā€™s clearly above average as far as Asobo/Carenado products go.

I still regret buying the 20ā‚¬ Reno pack for the planes : they barely have anything that works in there. Even basic NAV doesnā€™t work. 80% of the cockpit is INOP, in the RENO pack.

Maybe wait for a few fixes if you doubt about it, watch a few reviews, but for me, 15ā‚¬ is a good prince point for the features offered here.

4 Likes

Spectacular photographs! I see there is a pilot. How did you manage to put it in the cockpit?

I have to laugh at people who have never been in a Twin Beech, let alone flown one, hrrrumphing about how unrealistic the flight model is in a ~$12 aircraft. Talk about expectation management.

Chill out people, enjoy the low cost experience for what it is. The modeling is fine (none of those horrible polygons and ā– ā– ā– ā–  textures you see in a lot of paid addons) and while itā€™s not ā€œstudy levelā€ (rolling my eyes as if youā€™d expect it for that price) it presses my buttons for the old skool skydiving memories. If you know Carendo you know what youā€™ll get, a nicely modelled adequate flying experience that evokes a sense of the aircraft and aviation history to a reasonable degree.

27 Likes

Yes, Iā€™d like to know how the pilot was added in external view as well please .

1 Like